SONY NWZ-A10 Series
May 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,561 of 7,541

My A17 also reaches vol. 30 which is MAX, to say so. but tolerable for me is Vol. 10, vol. 11 is loud, vol. 12 louder and from vol. 13 and beyond untolearble unless the album is mastered too quiet

You're hearing must be incredible. Especially as you listen to classical. The quiet passages especially

it has nothing to do with hearing and all to do with the headphone/IEM used.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4,562 of 7,541
biggrin.gif

Agree with castle and a bit of godbluff too i have a discerning ear even with no headphones i heard the smalles thing like rustling leaves

May 10, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,563 of 7,541
You're hearing must be incredible. Especially as you listen to classical. The quiet passages especially

My dad whne he listens to classical, esp piano music like chopin or mozart he must crank the vol. to blaring levels to hear that romantic quiet passages :
biggrin.gif
 and then the "angry piano" comes into action hahaha. And always say to him i can hear it don't up the volume because a Loud surprise awaits
darthsmile.gif

May 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #4,564 of 7,541
it has nothing to do with hearing and all to do with the headphone/IEM used. :D

Yeah its certainly got something to with hearing as well! You're not honestly saying everyone's hearings the same. Some of us are getting on a bit.

May 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,565 of 7,541
Just bought an MDR-1A, gosh it really sounds amazing with my a15. Glad I sold my VModa XS, as I was unhappy with it paired with A15. XS sounded great with my iPod Touch 5 though and it became a burden when I sold my iPod and bought A15.

The MDR-1A sounds like my Aurisonics Rockets in steroids. Warm-neutral sound with better soundstage, clarity, and bass (though Rockets still slightly win for mid and the vocal). Glad I have both, one for travelling, and the other for home-use.

May 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #4,566 of 7,541

biggrin.gif

Yeah its certainly got something to with hearing as well! You're not honestly saying everyone's hearings the same. Some of us are getting on a bit.

well we're not getting younger, that's for sure
redface.gif
but I just got to take 2 extremes in my etymotics, the HF5 and the etykid, I try to get an ok not too quiet but calm listening level with the hf5, I end up at 4 on the sony. now with the etykid I'm at 14-15 for about the same thing. you get the idea. they have the exact same look(ok I lie one is dark grey, the other one black^_^), shape, size, tips, everything down to how well they isolate. the difference is in the specs and it's a massive one. 
I didn't try with a test tone and did the all that amazing test under 1mn, but I got between 25 and 30db of difference reading the output of the sony into the computer at those 2 values. it's a massive difference obviously, yet that was to get about the same loudness with 2 IEMs.

and that's not accounting for where we're listening to music and how well our IEM/headphone isolates. I'm listening much louder on the street next to a road than at night at home while taking root next to the computer ^_^. and with my IE80(poor isolation) I would need to cover for outside noises a lot more than with the etymotics.

that's why I tend to vote for IEMs before hearing even if obviously we're also not equal on that part and still not getting younger.

May 11, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,569 of 7,541
  Just bought an MDR-1A, gosh it really sounds amazing with my a15. Glad I sold my VModa XS, as I was unhappy with it paired with A15. XS sounded great with my iPod Touch 5 though and it became a burden when I sold my iPod and bought A15.

The MDR-1A sounds like my Aurisonics Rockets in steroids. Warm-neutral sound with better soundstage, clarity, and bass (though Rockets still slightly win for mid and the vocal). Glad I have both, one for travelling, and the other for home-use.

You must be using close to max volume on the A15 with MDR-1A. I had to crank up the ZX2 to around 2/3rd of the max volume to be able to drive the MDR-1A nicely.

May 11, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #4,570 of 7,541

You must be using close to max volume on the A15 with MDR-1A. I had to crank up the ZX2 to around 2/3rd of the max volume to be able to drive the MDR-1A nicely.

Setting the volume to 17 out of 30 is too much already. Are you using Europe version? I test it to volume 20 and my ears are going to explode.
blink.gif

1A is much easier to drive compared to my Rockets (normally I set volume to 19-21 using Rockets). 

I've tested it using PHA-A2 in the store, and I cant find any need for 1A to be amped (power and sound-wise). I hope Sony could create IEM version of 1A. XBA-A3's sound is out of my taste.

May 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #4,571 of 7,541

Setting the volume to 17 out of 30 is too much already. Are you using Europe version? I test it to volume 20 and my ears are going to explode.
blink.gif

1A is much easier to drive compared to my Rockets (normally I set volume to 19-21 using Rockets). 

I've tested it using PHA-A2 in the store, and I cant find any need for 1A to be amped (power and sound-wise). I hope Sony could create IEM version of 1A. XBA-A3's sound is out of my taste.

Nope, using Asian version. Are you using it in a quiet environment? I was testing it in a shopping mall, so there are some ambient noises around.

May 11, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #4,572 of 7,541

Nope, using Asian version. Are you using it in a quiet environment? I was testing it in a shopping mall, so there are some ambient noises around.

Yup I use it in my room with my window open, but my neighbourhood is kinda quite. When I tested it in the shop yesterday, I set it to 20-21 as there was an exhibition near the shop. Using it last night, I set the volume only at 14.

Plus I'm using EQ, +2 Clear Bass, +1 in 6.3kHz, and +1 16kHz (this is for my Rockets actually, but I prefer it than being flat). I think the clear bass help reducing the ambient sound. I really like this warm setup.

May 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,573 of 7,541

Setting the volume to 17 out of 30 is too much already. Are you using Europe version? I test it to volume 20 and my ears are going to explode.:blink:

Yep tesed mine in volume 20 and is too loud blowing up ears

May 11, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,574 of 7,541
Crazy question, but sound quality wise how does this A17 compare to the E series (E385 specifically)?

I picked up both (the E first cause it was only $100) and I was looking for a cheap sony walkman for my car stereo. I had a crazy sound system in my old car but in this new car I decided that the stock speakers are good enough for me (they actually sound quite good) and will not drop the big bucks on putting my old system back in so I sold off my system.

A week later a place here had the A17 for $280cdn, so I picked up a A17 and hooked it up to my car stereo through aux and wow does it sound good (And I have stock speakers). It does sound noticably better than the E walkman. Im considering just keeping it in the car 24/7, but my concern is, is it overkill (in other words waste of money) since Ill only be using stock speakers? My speakers arent gonna blow your socks off but they sound quite good for stock. I figure my speakers probably wont get the most out of this A17, so having a high end walkman on stock speakers might be pointless.

Also im worried about the winters and having the sun on the walkman in the summers since I would have the walkman sit out 24/7. Would that be bad for a $299 plauyer?

Im just deciding if i should keep the A17 in the car, and use the E walkman for work and elsewhere (I dont take the bus and the only reason why I want two walkmans is because for the physical buttons). My Z ultra touch interface doesnt work in the car (safety risk) and it sucks when using it anyother time, other than on the couch or in bed. So this is why I want two walkmans.

So I can either keep the A17 in the car and use the E walkman for work, or A17 for work and E walkman for the car. I have headphones in my ears for at least 5-7 hours everyday at work.

May 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,575 of 7,541
  Crazy question, but sound quality wise how does this A17 compare to the E series (E385 specifically)?

I picked up both (the E first cause it was only $100) and I was looking for a cheap sony walkman for my car stereo. I had a crazy sound system in my old car but in this new car I decided that the stock speakers are good enough for me (they actually sound quite good) and will not drop the big bucks on putting my old system back in so I sold off my system.

A week later a place here had the A17 for $280cdn, so I picked up a A17 and hooked it up to my car stereo through aux and wow does it sound good (And I have stock speakers). It does sound noticably better than the E walkman. Im considering just keeping it in the car 24/7, but my concern is, is it overkill (in other words waste of money) since Ill only be using stock speakers? My speakers arent gonna blow your socks off but they sound quite good for stock. I figure my speakers probably wont get the most out of this A17, so having a high end walkman on stock speakers might be pointless.

Also im worried about the winters and having the sun on the walkman in the summers since I would have the walkman sit out 24/7. Would that be bad for a $299 plauyer?

Im just deciding if i should keep the A17 in the car, and use the E walkman for work and elsewhere (I dont take the bus and the only reason why I want two walkmans is because for the physical buttons). My Z ultra touch interface doesnt work in the car (safety risk) and it sucks when using it anyother time, other than on the couch or in bed. So this is why I want two walkmans.

So I can either keep the A17 in the car and use the E walkman for work, or A17 for work and E walkman for the car. I have headphones in my ears for at least 5-7 hours everyday at work.

do the reverse if you have good headphones use the A17 for work and leave the E walkman in the hot car
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back