SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 23, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,826 of 7,541

I'll look for the Amperior, while mdr-1a and mdr-1r are claimed to have a very poor isolation, so probably not suited for my needs (on train !),
but I will be glad to ear from someone using these pairs on a train/bus and their impressions.

How do you think the Amperior for classical/symphonic ?

Stick with standard classic HD25. You won't need remote, will save money and have better balanced less bassy sound. May be 70ohms but highly efficient. Will last a lifetime. Will never part with mine. Do improve with amping though, more than amperior.

My BF had some similar to the HD25, yes they were sennheirsers but from 1990's unfortunately they died on him after 25 years or so, then i gave him my Ultrasone HFI-780, which he likes a lot

for me the ultrasounds isolated quite good, i found them to be relatively neutral but slightly harsh not that much but yeah, comfy and efficient don't remember the Ohm rating for those

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #3,828 of 7,541
  Does anybody know of it's possible to hide the clock indication from the playback screen? 

mmm try resetting it (factory defaults reset) and it shall not display it or at least display some thing like this --:--

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,829 of 7,541

digital out or analog line out? just for clarification for others.
I didn't measure myself because it's much more than my DAC/amp can do anyway so it's irrelevant for my use. and I suspect any portable stuff with a DAC will die before the sony.

Digital out through the wmport out into my Chord Hugo is what i am checking, as my NW-ZX1 only lasts around three hours and I wanted something to swap to once my ZX1 has gone flat.

Struggling to find my ideal dap beyond the ZX1 and the A15 series might just do it and have the same connector for my WMC-NWH10.

That way I keep the music going while I recharge the ZX1!

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,830 of 7,541
  As I've said before but out of sheer frustration just have to say it again. What the hell is the point in buying a digital player, any digital player, never mind one as good as the A15 and then connected it digitally to a DAC/Amp ? Stick to mobile phones for this sort of tomfoolery.

You are just using it as a glorified USB stick. Why not pull it apart, rip out the amp and dac and fit a bigger battery. Sorry I'm at a loss with this concept.

Its like buying a small sports car with a sweet albeit slightly underpowered engine and precise gearbox and using it as a stylish trailer towed behind a great big ugly 4x4. Utter madness and surely some kind of joke from those with more money than sense

ever heard of a cd transport to a separate dac?

yeah a phone with microsd card is doable but maybe theres a bit of interference that would come from said phones RFI/antennas...??

that and userface and battery life when using it as a "digital transport"

i use it myself with digital output to my 1aDAC headphones and analog out to my xba-h1.

and eventually forsee me getting the pha-3, dac/amp for my mdr z7s.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #3,831 of 7,541
Is there a way to turn off Bluetooth? No device is paired but I still want to disable it for some reason...  

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #3,832 of 7,541
By the way is it just me who's bummed about A17's clock falling behind 5 minutes every month? I mean, really?

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,833 of 7,541
first world problems!!!!! first world problems everywhere!!!!!
biggrin.gif

set to not autoconnect, turn off nfc, don't add a device=> no BT.
the solution for the clock would be to use the dap in space(less gravitation pull=> faster time), that wouldn't compensate 5mn sadly, but it would objectivelly be an improvement ^_^.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,834 of 7,541
  first world problems!!!!! first world problems everywhere!!!!!
biggrin.gif

set to not autoconnect, turn off nfc, don't add a device=> no BT.
the solution for the clock would be to use the dap in space(less gravitation pull=> faster time), that wouldn't compensate 5mn sadly, but it would objectivelly be an improvement ^_^.

LOL 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3,835 of 7,541
  Is there a way to turn off Bluetooth? No device is paired but I still want to disable it for some reason...  

Mine has it off i just dont enable NFC
 there's na option in the settings "app" that says Bluetooth settings and then there is auto connect at startup i select no
  By the way is it just me who's bummed about A17's clock falling behind 5 minutes every month? I mean, really?

yep mine too LOL

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #3,836 of 7,541

Also it didn't correct for Daylight Savings Time automatically here in the US and i was an hour late to a movie a few weeks ago. What trash, i'm getting an iPod.
tongue_smile.gif
(just kidding... my A17's primary function other than playing music files is to act as a scapegoat for my personal failings... I would never get rid of something so useful)

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #3,838 of 7,541
After few days with my new A15 I must admit I'm very happy with my purchase.

I was looking for an upgrade from my iPod Classic and for me it was down to the Fiio x5 or the iBasso x90.

...then the a15 cames in...

I still think both x5 and x90 give better resolution and better amping, but the size factor, smoothless UI, and ClearAudio+ enhancement, wow, I just couldn't ignore this magic regardless the SQ bill....

So I thought - I'll get a nice little amp and pair it to the a15 - this will compensate the SQ and amp drawbacks against the originally planned iBasso x90... but half a minute before doing that - I tried the HO with my fun-go-out, probably cheapest earphones I like the most - the Vosonic GR07 BE, no external amp, guess what?

They sound g-r-e-a-t!
Highs, lows, vocals, separation, soundstage - nothing to complain about...
Even the volume level that I was so worried about from reading, you know what - it's just about enough...

So I tried to pair it with my C&C BH2, both with L5 & L16 (Sorry, agsin, no difference to my ears...), well, I got more volume that's for sure, main advantage was a bit fuller bass, felt like your getting it with much less effort from the amp, a bit improvrment on the soundstage section, and that's about it....

Till now, whenever I connected the C&C to my android phone the difference was HUGE to my ears, but with the a15.. clearly that's not the case....

Does it worth the extra bulk? Surprisingly I think it's not....

Would a better amp will? Well, I guess I won't have the answer until I'll try one, but one thing's for sure - I'm a lot less stressed out to find one....

Thanks guys,
G.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,839 of 7,541

I was looking for an upgrade from my iPod Classic and for me it was down to the Fiio x5 or the iBasso x90.

I still think both x5 and x90 give better resolution and better amping, but the size factor, smoothless UI, and ClearAudio+ enhancement, wow, I just couldn't ignore this magic regardless the SQ bill....

So I thought - I'll get a nice little amp and pair it to the a15 - this will compensate the SQ and amp drawbacks against the originally planned iBasso x90... but half a minute before doing that - I tried the HO with my fun-go-out, probably cheapest earphones I like the most - the Vosonic GR07 BE, no external amp, guess what?

They sound g-r-e-a-t!
Even the volume level that I was so worried about from reading, you know what - it's just about enough...

So I tried to pair it with my C&C BH2, both with L5 & L16 (Sorry, agsin, no difference to my ears...), well, I got more volume that's for sure, main advantage was a bit fuller bass, felt like your getting it with much less effort from the amp, a bit improvrment on the soundstage section, and that's about it....

Till now, whenever I connected the C&C to my android phone the difference was HUGE to my ears, but with the a15.. clearly that's not the case....

Would a better amp will? Well, I guess I won't have the answer until I'll try one, but one thing's for sure - I'm a lot less stressed out to find one....

Thanks guys,
G.

Nice purchase i knew it you would ne happy but you are double amping... still using more battery from the A17 and more if you drive it to vol. 30

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,840 of 7,541

They sound g-r-e-a-t!

Thanks guys,
G.

I really have to agree with you.  I recently got an A17 as well and having owned and sold the FiiO X5 while currently owning (and greatly enjoying) a DX90, it's absolutely amazing what having a smaller form factor on your daily driver can have on your enjoyment.  Coupled with the amazing battery life and the really snappy and responsive UI/buttons Sony really did a great job with this player.

Though I loved some things of the X5, the huge weight along with the fatiguing sound (too much bass) and the intimate sound (too congested on certain tracks, especially classical) I went ahead and got a DX90.  The DX90 sounds wonderful and the form factor was much better than the X5 it still was too big for portable use in all applications.

I also agree with the fact that the sound quality of the DX90 and the X5 are much better.  The A17 lacks the dynamics and the microdetails that both of these players provide.  Because of this, the A17 sounds a bit flat in that you can't really hear .  In addition, the bass seems to be less controlled and the texturing all around is not as defined which causes the A17 to sound less resolving across the whole frequency.

Having said that it is still a really great sounding player.  Even though the bass is not as controlled and detailed it hits harder than the DX90 and less than the X5 which I found to be a perfect match for my own tastes.  In addition the ClearBass option is awesome for having some great bass EQ options without the need of an external amplifier.  The sound is still really detailed and natural which is wonderful and strangely enough I don't feel like I'm missing much even though in the past I have had a low tolerance for less than the best in SQ.

I guess in the end I have found the player for me!  And hopefully just in time for Spring once it decides to finally get here in NYC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back