SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,841 of 7,541

mmm try resetting it (factory defaults reset) and it shall not display it or at least display some thing like this --:--

I just did that, but it instead of --:-- the clock still shows up as before 
mad.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #3,842 of 7,541
After few days with my new A15 I must admit I'm very happy with my purchase.

I was looking for an upgrade from my iPod Classic and for me it was down to the Fiio x5 or the iBasso x90.

...then the a15 cames in...

I still think both x5 and x90 give better resolution and better amping, but the size factor, smoothless UI, and ClearAudio+ enhancement, wow, I just couldn't ignore this magic regardless the SQ bill....

So I thought - I'll get a nice little amp and pair it to the a15 - this will compensate the SQ and amp drawbacks against the originally planned iBasso x90... but half a minute before doing that - I tried the HO with my fun-go-out, probably cheapest earphones I like the most - the Vosonic GR07 BE, no external amp, guess what?

They sound g-r-e-a-t!
Highs, lows, vocals, separation, soundstage - nothing to complain about...
Even the volume level that I was so worried about from reading, you know what - it's just about enough...

So I tried to pair it with my C&C BH2, both with L5 & L16 (Sorry, agsin, no difference to my ears...), well, I got more volume that's for sure, main advantage was a bit fuller bass, felt like your getting it with much less effort from the amp, a bit improvrment on the soundstage section, and that's about it....

Till now, whenever I connected the C&C to my android phone the difference was HUGE to my ears, but with the a15.. clearly that's not the case....

Does it worth the extra bulk? Surprisingly I think it's not....

Would a better amp will? Well, I guess I won't have the answer until I'll try one, but one thing's for sure - I'm a lot less stressed out to find one....

Thanks guys,
G.

I'm also very much in favor of convenience instead of a few sound improvements. it's the reason I'm using IEMs when I think they're mostly crap, and still have some clip+ around the house because of how small that stuff is. and of course the very reason I bought the A10 in the first 10mn it was available on the website for preorder, as I was at the time mostly using the former A version as my favorite (as in most convenient) DAP. I used 2 of them to cover storage and battery. so the A10 pretty much came out to help me ^_^.

but as you can see on headfi, some people will go very far for sound improvement and will carry 2-3 sometimes 4bricks(extra battery pack) and some big headphones. and if they do it, it's obviously because they find it's a good solution. we all have different goals.
going with our needs instead of going with the flow of the forum is the hardest thing to do but the only way to stop running after dreams that don't exist.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3,843 of 7,541
^ +1

Just get what suits your needs. Since I got the a17, I have no more need for equipment. Have a dap, an amp (which I rarely use), a dac for the laptop, a good ciem and full-size closed cans. Don't need anything else. If I ever get anything else it'll probably be full size open cans for home use.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,844 of 7,541

mmm try resetting it (factory defaults reset) and it shall not display it or at least display some thing like this --:--

I just did that, but it instead of --:-- the clock still shows up as before 
mad.gif

yes the same for me... that's weird as my older walkman when i rested all the settings the clock also reset... this is weird

Other thing you can try but i'm not sure is reinstalling the firmware? mine has V 1.01 but i didn't bother to check what happened with the clock, don't know if there is an option to turn it off under clock settings

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #3,846 of 7,541
  I haven't installed the firmware update yet, perhaps after the update the clock will have to be set again and this will solve the "problem".

By the way, in the Firmware update instructions page it mentions that the data in the built-in memory might be damaged or deleted by the update, does this apply to the data stored in the SD card as well? 

1 it won't work unless real problem with the install. 
2 there is a clock, and it's the first time I see somebody unhappy about the fact that there is one. I don't look at it to get time so I could do without, but not to the point of actually needing to have it go away. is it for prisoners in guantanamo so that they can't see time when they're in a box with no holes?
3 the warning is about scanned data mostly, like if you made some playlist using the dap or maybe the last song played, stuff like that may get erased.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #3,847 of 7,541
  I haven't installed the firmware update yet, perhaps after the update the clock will have to be set again and this will solve the "problem".

By the way, in the Firmware update instructions page it mentions that the data in the built-in memory might be damaged or deleted by the update, does this apply to the data stored in the SD card as well? 

I did the firmware with the SD card filled and the internal memory also almost filled and it went smooth no data erased

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,848 of 7,541

2 there is a clock, and it's the first time I see somebody unhappy about the fact that there is one. I don't look at it to get time so I could do without, but not to the point of actually needing to have it go away. is it for prisoners in guantanamo so that they can't see time when they're in a box with no holes?

biggrin.gif
 LOL x 3

I use the clock only in the gym. The irritating part is checking if it shows the right time before starting my exercise. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,849 of 7,541

biggrin.gif
 LOL x 3

I use the clock only in the gym. The irritating part is checking if it shows the right time before starting my exercise. 

I some times look at the clock but for that i havee my "dumb" watch CASIO  illuminator... i hated  fiio x3 not having a clock 
angry_face.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,850 of 7,541
Just wondering which, if any, of the cheapie USB data/charging cables available on Amazon or eBay are compatible with this model.  I would like to have a spare.  Most list a huge number of Walkmans they are compatible with, but none specifically mention the A10 series.  Thanks for any info.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,851 of 7,541
  Just wondering which, if any, of the cheapie USB data/charging cables available on Amazon or eBay are compatible with this model.  I would like to have a spare.  Most list a huge number of Walkmans they are compatible with, but none specifically mention the A10 series.  Thanks for any info.

They are all the same. Take your pick. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3,852 of 7,541
Can anyone tell me if the A10 will happily read files tagged in iTunes? My entire music collection is ITunes based - mostly ALAC (standard and hi-res) with some MP3.

There is no way I am going to re-tag the whole lot (life is too short) so if I upgrade from my Ipod Video it will need to be a DAP that won't fall over and die at the sight of a barrel of Apples...

Basically, it's between the Sony, X3 and DX50 and the one which copes best with ITunes tags will be the one I go for.

Grateful for the benefit of your collective experience.

Cheers

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #3,853 of 7,541
Can anyone tell me if the A10 will happily read files tagged in iTunes? My entire music collection is ITunes based - mostly ALAC (standard and hi-res) with some MP3.

There is no way I am going to re-tag the whole lot (life is too short) so if I upgrade from my Ipod Video it will need to be a DAP that won't fall over and die at the sight of a barrel of Apples...

Basically, it's between the Sony, X3 and DX50 and the one which copes best with ITunes tags will be the one I go for.

Grateful for the benefit of your collective experience.

Cheers

it shall do it as long as they are MP4 tags, mine reads  Vorbis comments (FLAC tags)

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #3,854 of 7,541
I've read that the A10 series have the so called EU volume cap restriction, but according to the A-15 manual, you're just getting a "beep" sound when reaching the limit which you can just ignore and bypass..
What is really happening here? 
Is there a restriction in the maximum volume or just a notification and thats all it is? 

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #3,855 of 7,541
  I've read that the A10 series have the so called EU volume cap restriction, but according to the A-15 manual, you're just getting a "beep" sound when reaching the limit which you can just ignore and bypass..
What is really happening here? 
Is there a restriction in the maximum volume or just a notification and thats all it is? 

I have only heard the 'beep' once. My A15 randomly beeped last week and had a message on the screen the about the volume level, although it was at the level I normally use, which is 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back