SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,856 of 7,541
I've read that the A10 series have the so called EU volume cap restriction, but according to the A-15 manual, you're just getting a "beep" sound when reaching the limit which you can just ignore and bypass..
What is really happening here? 
Is there a restriction in the maximum volume or just a notification and thats all it is? 

At least one member here claimed he sent back the EU version & got the US one, and yeah - he confirmed that the maximum volume is different - 27 US equals 30 EU....

I got mine from Russia, I don't think there's any volume limit here, and btw - the differet between 27 and 30 is not significant, as a matter of fact I don't like the slight distortion and speration of layers I loose when hitting maximum volume....

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,857 of 7,541
At least one member here claimed he sent back the EU version & got the US one, and yeah - he confirmed that the maximum volume is different - 27 US equals 30 EU....

I got mine from Russia, I don't think there's any volume limit here, and btw - the differet between 27 and 30 is not significant, as a matter of fact I don't like the slight distortion and speration of layers I loose when hitting maximum volume....

Great! 
So, not only I am getting the creepy "beep", but there's also a "bonus stage" including a reduced actual maximum volume... 
I am practicaly ready to buy the A15, but there are a few annoying things (like this one) that makes me reluctant. 

Does anyone has any idea, if there will be any problem while synch it with Linux operated PCs? 
I hope that a simple drag&drop operation will be enough to add music to the library...

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,858 of 7,541
I use mine at 10 (which is comfortable level) and rarely go over 12-13 (which is too loud for me)
Comparing the 27 (US) volume increment to 30 (EU) seems to me not a big difference in terms of maximum volume but for a comfortable level it can be taken as an indicator too watch your volume or one will get deaf soon.
If people are saying that 27 is the volume they attain for their iem, probably they should ditch them and get easier too drive earphones.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,859 of 7,541
I use mine at 10 (which is comfortable level) and rarely go over 12-13....

I tend to agree, 27 is way over what I would peak with my 40ohm IEM, when it comes to normal IEMs - maximum volume is not an issue.

With my full size headphones, well, it's a different story. But I don't mind as I never use those on-the-go, at my desk back home a tiny amp compensates this one easily...

Over all the tiny Sony is a better choise FOR ME than any other sub 1K$ DAP....

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3,860 of 7,541

I've read that the A10 series have the so called EU volume cap restriction, but according to the A-15 manual, you're just getting a "beep" sound when reaching the limit which you can just ignore and bypass..
What is really happening here? 
Is there a restriction in the maximum volume or just a notification and thats all it is? 

the one i have from mexico must be the same as the us version as like audio breeder i can't get past vol. 8-10

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,861 of 7,541

Great! 
So, not only I am getting the creepy "beep", but there's also a "bonus stage" including a reduced actual maximum volume... 
I am practicaly ready to buy the A15, but there are a few annoying things (like this one) that makes me reluctant. 

Does anyone has any idea, if there will be any problem while synch it with Linux operated PCs? 
I hope that a simple drag&drop operation will be enough to add music to the library...

it's a rule in europe so not having a limit only means the DAP got in through a strange way, or they use some loophole in the rule like "no headphone so you don't know how loud it is", or simply because the DAP is already "weak" enough to pass the EU max output limit. it's not a sony thing, it's a euro thing. but in audio people would rather repeat stuff they read than think about it.
now if you can get a non EU sony or iphone or whatever, for the same price, I urge you to do it! because hey, why not get the one that can do more? it a very obvious choice to make.
but if you go and end up paying 100€ more at customs for a 3clicks louder daps, you can get how it's not an amazingly clever move anymore.

anyway if you need something that goes loud for a fullsize headphone and don't plan to use an amp, don't buy a sony. that is the very obvious move that can suffer no contest.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,862 of 7,541
Yesterday I used the MP3tag program to add album covers to the FLAC files that are loaded to my A15, but since then I noticed a lag during track skip. For example, for a few seconds after I skip a track the player does not respond promptly to any button that I may push (Back, Option, Volume etc), but it takes a few seconds to respond.

I guess that's a common problem because obviously this is exactly what the 1.01 firmware update is supposed to fix:

Benefits and improvements:
Improvement of a slow reaction of the player during track skip when a FLAC music file is played back, that has more than one Album Cover Art.

However, my FLAC files have only one album cover art pics attached to them and I can't see how a file can have more than one pics attached to it (at least MP3tag does not have this option as far as I know).
I any case, I'm thinking of installing the firmware update but I thought to ask first if I should expect a hit on battery or anything after installing it, or if anyone has noticed anything negative about it since once you have installed it you can't go to a previous version.

Thanks in advance.
redface.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,863 of 7,541
  Yesterday I used the MP3tag program to add album covers to the FLAC files that are loaded to my A15, but since then I noticed a lag during track skip. For example, for a few seconds after I skip a track the player does not respond promptly to any button that I may push (Back, Option, Volume etc), but it takes a few seconds to respond.

I guess that's a common problem because obviously this is exactly what the 1.01 firmware update is supposed to fix:

However, my FLAC files have only one album cover art pics attached to them and I can't see how a file can have more than one pics attached to it (at least MP3tag does not have this option as far as I know).
I any case, I'm thinking of installing the firmware update but I thought to ask first if I should expect a hit on battery or anything after installing it, or if anyone has noticed anything negative about it since once you have installed it you can't go to a previous version.

Thanks in advance.
redface.gif

Have you checked to see what size jpegs you've used for album art?  Maybe some are too big for the sony so it's having a hard time loading the screen cover.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,864 of 7,541

Improvement of a slow reaction of the player during track skip when a FLAC music file is played back, that has more than one Album Cover Art.

Thanks in advance.
redface.gif

1/ obviously upgrading the FW doesn't cost you much efforts
2/ yes mp3tag let you add many covers.
3/ check you're with ID3 2.3 not 2.4.
edit 4/ of course as suggested, don't abuse the covers size ^_^

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3,865 of 7,541
Thanks for your replies guys. Just checked and the large image size seems to be a factor indeed. I will reduce all images to > 500px and hopefully the problem will be solved. In any case, what size would you recommend for the image files?

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3,866 of 7,541
  Thanks for your replies guys. Just checked and the large image size seems to be a factor indeed. I will reduce all images to > 500px and hopefully the problem will be solved. I any case, what size would you recommend for the image files?

the screen is 320x240 I believe. so anything above 300pixel is clearly a waste of space on this DAP.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,867 of 7,541
Regarding the EU volume limit, i can compare a Sony NWZ-S745 (bought in 2011, from AccessoryJack) with a Sony NWZ-S754 (purchased from UK). Both units were used with the same supplied noise cancelling in ear headphones, the difference was huge. The S745 beat the eu model by a large margin, in terms of volume output. Unfortunately i'm not expert, but i can safely say, the S754 had a very weak output power/or a huge volume cap. You could listen to it at maximum volume without being loud, at all. And that's sure that it had 1/4 or 1/3 the power of the international model.
Since then i haven't bought, nor i will. another eu version from the Walkman range.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #3,868 of 7,541

Have you checked to see what size jpegs you've used for album art?  Maybe some are too big for the sony so it's having a hard time loading the screen cover.

Cover size should not exceed 1000x1000, otherwise it won't display.
Also if you had your tracks in itunes before your tracks will have the covers in 3 sizes attached (itunes automatically creates covers in 200x200 and 75x75).
I had to clean most of my tags from these autocreated cover sizes, then displaying the remaining cover is no issue on the A17 (as long it does not exceed 1000x1000).
Piece of cake doing this with MediaMonkey. itunes is really the most crappy piece of software mankind has ever seen! The day uninstalled this s**t was a very happy one!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #3,869 of 7,541

Thanks in advance.
redface.gif

All my covers are either 600x600 , 700x700 or 750x750

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #3,870 of 7,541

Thanks for your replies guys. Just checked and the large image size seems to be a factor indeed. I will reduce all images to > 500px and hopefully the problem will be solved. I any case, what size would you recommend for the image files?

the screen is 320x240 I believe. so anything above 300pixel is clearly a waste of space on this DAP.

I won't destroy my covers as mediaGo has full screen cover display
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back