SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,886 of 7,541
Regarding the EU volume limit, i can compare a Sony NWZ-S745 (bought in 2011, from AccessoryJack) with a Sony NWZ-S754 (purchased from UK). Both units were used with the same supplied noise cancelling in ear headphones, the difference was huge. The S745 beat the eu model by a large margin, in terms of volume output. Unfortunately i'm not expert, but i can safely say, the S754 had a very weak output power/or a huge volume cap. You could listen to it at maximum volume without being loud, at all. And that's sure that it had 1/4 or 1/3 the power of the international model.
Since then i haven't bought, nor i will. another eu version from the Walkman range.

not saying you're wrong not to buy any EU version, as I said above if you can pick freely, then it would make no sense to get the EU one.
but I'm not sure taking 2 different models that are not even this one as an example is significant of anything.
I hate a banana, listened to justin bieber, didn't like what I heard, so banana's not good for music. to me they both have the same kind of legitimacy and scientific rigor ^_^.

I won't destroy my covers as mediaGo has full screen cover display
biggrin.gif

I have my computer music mostly as flac, and my DAP music as mp3. they're different entities entirely because I tend to hardcode some EQ, crossfeed, or replay gain when needed for different DAPs and different IEMs(and wouldn't like that stuff to ever go back into my library as being the original
angry_face.gif
). so they're kept on different drives and it's no problem for me to have small covers for the DAPs.
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #3,887 of 7,541
Debating between the A17 and the ZX1. Hoping that my Shure SE530s would be enough to enjoy all the sound performance from either one.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

the 530/535 are very sensitive IEMs that pick up background noises very well(they have been used as hiss benchmark for years in reviews). maybe you don't care, but if you think you do, then look for a DAP famous for having a clean background(not the A17 for sure).
now as I often say, if the ease of use trumps your need for better signal fidelity, then you may very well prefer the A17 to many more expensive DAPs. the ZX1 is big.
by trying to help, I'm just adding problems to your quest, sorry about that ^_^.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,889 of 7,541
Actually I have not noticed much noise at all with my minidisc players, and they are quite quiet when using my RSA Hornet amp ( I know the 530s dont need the amp but I feel it gives a nit better sound)

oh then worst case scenario you can use the sony with the hornet. hiss solved! ^_^

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,890 of 7,541

I have my computer music mostly as flac, and my DAP music as mp3. they're different entities entirely because I tend to hardcode some EQ, crossfeed, or replay gain when needed for different DAPs and different IEMs(and wouldn't like that stuff to ever go back into my library as being the original
angry_face.gif
). so they're kept on different drives and it's no problem for me to have small covers for the DAPs.
wink_face.gif

MP3... no way even on portables.. FLAC dude.. your car has or had CD players LOL so why not lossless on today's portables no more crappy 64MB capacities
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #3,891 of 7,541
Debating between the A17 and the ZX1. Hoping that my Shure SE530s would be enough to enjoy all the sound performance from either one.

A17 has expandable storage and has no android battery-sucker

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,892 of 7,541
MP3... no way even on portables.. FLAC dude.. your car has or had CD players LOL so why not lossless on today's portables no more crappy 64MB capacities
biggrin.gif

of course I know and understand that flac is measurably better because it doesn't alter the signal below... -60db or so, like mp3 does. just like I know that with my amp the A15 would be at the very least measurably better and with many IEMs/headphones, audibly so too. but I also know that I can only hardly pass above guessing in abx between 320mp3 and flac when in a quiet room, with cherry picked passages of particular songs. and I pretty much am assured to fail with random songs. so if I don't hear it most of the times, is it really better in my own reality? and when a tree falls in the forest and nobody ears it, does the hipster by the album?
biggrin.gif

so I elect to once again go for ease of use, let the amp at home most of the time, and put more songs in a cheaper DAP(15vs17) with a cheaper smaller card. and with the money I buy pringles. and when I eat them, I swear I can't tell the difference in audio fidelity.
deadhorse.gif

I rest my case!

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,893 of 7,541
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,894 of 7,541

A17 has expandable storage and has no android battery-sucker

Is the Sq the same between the two?

they say the zx1 has slightly better SQ but i doubt as they have the same DAC chip and same family of polymer capacitors

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,895 of 7,541
the ZX1 is clearly above the A10 in measurements, and audibly above at least on noise floor. but what part of that improvement is due to the amp section being a little less crap? that I cannot say.
I know I found the ZX1 too big and still lacking in power output to be used 100% without amp for me. and ZX1+amp, that's just something I couldn't imagine in a pocket.

for almost the same audio fidelity as the zx1, you can go get a simple fiio X1 and save a lot of money(in fact you also get a little more power). but the UI sucks a good deal and you have to be clever to make it cool to use. that's my sincere and most likely objective opinion.
but that matters only if you go put the audio before everything else. else just buy what has the right size/UI/battery and forget all that hifi crap. having the very best source means nothing if you let it at home because you don't want to carry it, or lose it, or get robbed.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #3,896 of 7,541
  the ZX1 is clearly above the A10 in measurements, and audibly above at least on noise floor. but what part of that improvement is due to the amp section being a little less crap? that I cannot say.
I know I found the ZX1 too big and still lacking in power output to be used 100% without amp for me. and ZX1+amp, that's just something I couldn't imagine in a pocket.

for almost the same audio fidelity as the zx1, you can go get a simple fiio X1 and save a lot of money(in fact you also get a little more power). but the UI sucks a good deal and you have to be clever to make it cool to use. that's my sincere and most likely objective opinion.
but that matters only if you go put the audio before everything else. else just buy what has the right size/UI/battery and forget all that hifi crap. having the very best source means nothing if you let it at home because you don't want to carry it, or lose it, or get robbed.

where is that ? i am interested in seeing comparison with both measurements 

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #3,897 of 7,541
to be really sure of anything it would be nice to have them both measured at the same place, maybe that will come but I doubt it.
rapid google witchcraft:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soomal.com%2Fdoc%2F10100004953.htm
and for the A10 you have  http://headphoniaks.com/blog/sony-walkman-a15-analisis-tecnico-y-review/ (yeah I deal with spanish, not so much with ????mandarin???? ^_^)

now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling people to get a ZX1 or worst, a ZX2. let's keep it real, they all suck at the amp section. that's a fact. and people really looking for good sound fidelity would probably make a better use of their money using even a fiio X1 and a good amp in my opinion. because it doesn't matter how good a DAC is (and all we have is sony marketing on that part), if the amp section is unable to deliver the same resolution and linearity(that's why I find highres so useless in general).
now in favor of any sony really, sound might not be the only important factor for portable gears. it isn't for me at least ^_^.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #3,898 of 7,541
  to be really sure of anything it would be nice to have them both measured at the same place, maybe that will come but I doubt it.
rapid google witchcraft:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soomal.com%2Fdoc%2F10100004953.htm
and for the A10 you have  http://headphoniaks.com/blog/sony-walkman-a15-analisis-tecnico-y-review/ (yeah I deal with spanish, not so much with ????mandarin???? ^_^)

now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling people to get a ZX1 or worst, a ZX2. let's keep it real, they all suck at the amp section. that's a fact. and people really looking for good sound fidelity would probably make a better use of their money using even a fiio X1 and a good amp in my opinion. because it doesn't matter how good a DAC is (and all we have is sony marketing on that part), if the amp section is unable to deliver the same resolution and linearity(that's why I find highres so useless in general).
now in favor of any sony really, sound might not be the only important factor for portable gears. it isn't for me at least ^_^.

thanks for both links and don't worry dude ..didn't get you wrong
regular_smile .gif
 ... i know them ... wished if soomal review the A-10 too .... i like their reviews a lot because it detects that metallic and sharp treble from F806 that no body tells about it here in head-fi AFAIK  (that was a defect in the S-master MX AMP ) 
and even Sony walkmans are getting weaker amp section than most of audiophile DAPs ... but i love them despite that fact ... and i find them enough for earbuds and iems and that is what i want ... and for me- having X3 - even X3 is not enough if i want to drive hard to drive headphones a quality amp is a must even for Fiio X3 

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,899 of 7,541

where is that ? i am interested in seeing comparison with both measurements 

zx1 is more expensive even used so, I like my A17 android d only for phones or for developing app for some $$$$$$ 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,900 of 7,541
  thanks for both links and don't worry dude ..didn't get you wrong
regular_smile .gif
 ... i know them ... wished if soomal review the A-10 too .... i like their reviews a lot because it detects that metallic and sharp treble from F806 that no body tells about it here in head-fi AFAIK  (that was a defect in the S-master MX AMP ) 
and even Sony walkmans are getting weaker amp section than most of audiophile DAPs ... but i love them despite that fact ... and i find them enough for earbuds and iems and that is what i want ... and for me- having X3 - even X3 is not enough if i want to drive hard to drive headphones a quality amp is a must even for Fiio X3 

I will use an amp + cheap player with expandable storage than a so called expensive zx1 with no expansion... bet an amp will make the A-series sing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back