SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,031 of 7,541
  I've owned an X5 from fiio which is a superior DAP in comparison with the dx50.
I can tell if you pair "proper" IEMs with the A15 (like XBA-A2, for example) and compare A15+A2 with X5+A2 - there will be no any significant difference in SQ. The X5+A2 combo will have more bass quantity but the rest is more or less equal. 
Sony have some products which perfectly match with each other.

I also had the DX50 in the past but cannot recall it's SQ now.

i see.. i'm using aurisonics rockets and would like to try how is it with the a15..

so, my next question is: what do you think of a15 vs dx90?

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3,032 of 7,541

i see.. i'm using aurisonics rockets and would like to try how is it with the a15..

I had the DX90 in the past for 2-3 weeks - sold it out. It’s on a mobile junior Sabre ESS9018K2M (2 of them). It will be technically better than the A15.

Too boring sound overall. Bass is not tight enough to my ears. Mids were so lifeless. Therefore, I did not like the sound signature of it.
However, it has a more powerful build-in amplifier than the A15. The main problem of A15/17 is the AMP section, either you find proper IEMs/headphones or buy an additional AMP (like pha-1A or something else).

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #3,033 of 7,541

I use my A15 with my Rockets. I just can compare it with iPod touch 5 though and I think Rocket+iTouch 5 sound more fun without EQ while it quite flat with A15 without EQ and any effect. Just turn on ClearAudio+ to make it fun if you want to (and sound better than iTouch 5).

Guess iTouch 5 without EQ is not really flat, coz it has it own Flat option in it's EQ lists.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,034 of 7,541
Just received my FiiO L5 cable yesterday. Like it based on very little head time, but it is so damn short it isn't really functional. In order to work with the A17 the L5 cable would be bent so much that it will begin getting cracked inside and shorting out. My bad for not having checked out the length before purchasing it; but far more FiiO bad for making it so short as to be stupid. Forget this crap it is to reduce bulk for portable, it doesn't function for portable unless you are lucky enough to have two devices that align really well. For me, the cables need to allow enough play that I can place the items in my pocket without strain on the cable connectors. The L5 is going to be a waste of money as a portable cable. Quite pissed about it actually. It is fine for sitting flat on a surface.

I would never bother using any kind of band to strap devices together, far to inconvenient for somebody like me who on a bus needs to constantly access the devices so that wouldn't help me. Oh well, back to the A17 HO jack I go when I use my E12. Thanks FiiO.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3,035 of 7,541
  Just received my FiiO L5 cable yesterday. Like it based on very little head time, but it is so damn short it isn't really functional. In order to work with the A17 the L5 cable would be bent so much that it will begin getting cracked inside and shorting out. My bad for not having checked out the length before purchasing it; but far more FiiO bad for making it so short as to be stupid. Forget this crap it is to reduce bulk for portable, it doesn't function for portable unless you are lucky enough to have two devices that align really well. For me, the cables need to allow enough play that I can place the items in my pocket without strain on the cable connectors. The L5 is going to be a waste of money as a portable cable. Quite pissed about it actually. It is fine for sitting flat on a surface.

I like ti with a portable amp setup or my bose soundodck, just connect it to my bose and forget about it
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,036 of 7,541

I would never bother using any kind of band to strap devices together, far to inconvenient for somebody like me who on a bus needs to constantly access the devices so that wouldn't help me. Oh well, back to the A17 HO jack I go when I use my E12. Thanks FiiO.

Interesting. I thought the cable was ridiculously  long as most people stack their device...
confused.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,039 of 7,541

Same problem here. It is too thick. I have another one, but it is a bit long, 30 cm. I I will cut it and solder a 3.5 jack. That will solve the problem. I don't know what possessed FiiO to think that for such a short cable thickness would make a difference! 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #3,040 of 7,541

Interesting. I thought the cable was ridiculously  long as most people stack their device...
confused.gif

Even stacked, there is plenty of stress on the cable, give it time, it will start to short out. As well, with the A17, if I was to take a band of some kind to keep the units together, the only possible way that you could tote these in your pocket and keep the strain on the cable to a minimum, the band would have to cover either the A17 controls, or some of the screen. Now that is just ridiculous. I frequently use the A17 controls when on the move and I couldn't imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to have to unband the devices each time, or at least frequently. A longer L5 would solve my problems as the devices could be put in a pocket without strain (or at least significantly less strain) on the cable. That is my view anyway.

Maybe there are different lengths of the L5? Mine is 2" long between terminations.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,041 of 7,541

Even stacked, there is plenty of stress on the cable, give it time, it will start to short out. As well, with the A17, if I was to take a band of some kind to keep the units together, the only possible way that you could tote these in your pocket and keep the strain on the cable to a minimum, the band would have to cover either the A17 controls, or some of the screen. Now that is just ridiculous. I frequently use the A17 controls when on the move and I couldn't imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to have to unband the devices each time, or at least frequently. A longer L5 would solve my problems as the devices could be put in a pocket without strain (or at least significantly less strain) on the cable. That is my view anyway.

Maybe there are different lengths of the L5? Mine is 2" long between terminations.

I'm using this one at the moment:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ft-30cm-LINE-OUT-audio-cable-3-5mm-Stereo-plug-for-SONY-Walkman-MP3-w-WM-Port-/300506245559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f79169b7 

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,043 of 7,541

mine is like 4 to 5 cms long between terminations i have another 3.55mm male to male cable lying arround so i will go to my local steren or radioshack to buy a female to female adapter

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,044 of 7,541
  I agree the cable could be more flexible, and shorter . I don't like rubber bands either so I use 3M dual lock tape or velcro. 

Doesn't that leave residue on your devices when it is removed? Does that mean you either don't sell your devices, or that you expect the buyer to like that approach? I'm sure many people would, but I hate doing anything to a device that changes it from stock as I always sell my gear within a year, two at the very most.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,045 of 7,541
  mine is like 4 to 5 cms long between terminations i have another 3.55mm male to male cable lying arround so i will go to my local steren or radioshack to buy a female to female adapter

I try to avoid extra connection points where possible. I will see if there are other solutions out there if with testing I find any sound quality difference between the HO or LO of the A17. If there isn't an appreciable sound quality difference, there are plenty of long cables I can use from A17 HO to the E12 in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back