SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #3,001 of 7,541
  for guys who used A10 with pha-3 : is there any sort of battery drain on walkman like the one in ZX1 with pha-3 combo? I've heard that ZX1 lasts for only 5 to 6 hours per charge with pha-3.

I think it is around 8-10 hours. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #3,003 of 7,541
  oh if so then it is damn low compared to 40 - 50 hours!

Well, this is a data transfer mode which consumes a lot in comparison with just a standard playback mode and this will be anyway 2 times more than the batetry life of the pha-3 (4-5 hours if balanced)

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #3,004 of 7,541
500+ charge cycles, with the way this thing sips juice the buttons will likely break before it stops charging completely.

My old Walkman I used to amp with was used continuously for years and still holds a charge like day 1.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #3,006 of 7,541
  hey guys.. what do you think this sony dap vs ibasso dx50? same price, same quality? which one is better?

I've owned an X5 from fiio which is a superior DAP in comparison with the dx50.
I can tell if you pair "proper" IEMs with the A15 (like XBA-A2, for example) and compare A15+A2 with X5+A2 - there will be no any significant difference in SQ. The X5+A2 combo will have more bass quantity but the rest is more or less equal. 
Sony have some products which perfectly match with each other.

I also had the DX50 in the past but cannot recall it's SQ now.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,007 of 7,541
Who's using the Sony XBA-H3 with a A10 series walkman, and how do you like the match especially with classical music (instrumental and chamber particularly)? I'm currently using my A15 with some Hifiman RE-262 and the result is good, but I've never liked the signature of those in-ears...too mid-centric for my taste. I'm thinking to get the H3 but I'm a bit scared the bass could be too much.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,008 of 7,541
  Who's using the Sony XBA-H3 with a A10 series walkman, and how do you like the match especially with classical music (instrumental and chamber particularly)? I'm currently using my A15 with some Hifiman RE-262 and the result is good, but I've never liked the signature of those in-ears...too mid-centric for my taste. I'm thinking to get the H3 but I'm a bit scared the bass could be too much.

ME, i love them SANS-SPONGE FILTERS, they seem to have tamed the boomy bass, by removin the filters, they have good deep bass, bot muddy, deep perfect for chamber organs and double bass, crispy mids and highs for the othe Instruments, the soundstage is wide and nice separation of instruments

sorry for quick response, busy with an offer to work in the USA, reading about Tax and so

EDIT finished with this thing of the job, so more detailed in a post below

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,009 of 7,541
For the guy who asked @realmassyXBA-H3 +A10, I have the A17 mexican version, which is Loud compared to the EU version if i'm correct based on reviews.

When I first got my H3's i had the fiio x3, which is a warm player, out of the box, the H3 had very boomy bass, burn-in time was like a month, Then got the A17 5 months later and i felt the A-series made them sound ackward with chamber music, holow bass like that sounding from a loudspeaker used in tube stations (subway).

Decided to rip-off the sponge filters (gray stuff in the nozzle), seem to have worked for me, feel the bass is more tamed, less boomy, has great extension to subbass levels perfect for chamber music and Organ music, while retianing the balance with mids and highs.

The mids and the highs are a little bit shy which makes them sound nice and not harsh like other sony earbuds i have owned in the past.

I did the filter removal on my older XBA-1 (previous model and first sony venture into BA), they went harsh sounding even with the warmness of a fiio x3, orchestral music sounded so harsh in the upper parts (violins, flutes, oboes etc)

The level of detail retrieval (Hi-res) is pretty darn good, you can hear lots of nuances you never heard before like bow screech, bow hitting the instrument (works best with 24-bit audio) but the walkman seems to flesh out and extract all the juice equally from 16/44.1 recordings (I have an ear for fine recordings, CPO, DG, sony claasical, DHM, Briliant Classics, Bis etc)

Sound stage is pretty wide, even it widened with the walkman A17, seem this walkma implemented the DAC right, the separation of instruments is very good as well as imaging, i had instances and still haveinstances where the FiiO x3 presents trebble instrumenst suchs as female soprano and violins floating aobve my head, the sony walkman fix his by placing them in the front or left.

In summary i recommend to you the A17 or A15 with the H3's. I also have the MDR-1R, they took a great deal fo burn-in to have proper bass and to sound less mid-centric, altough these still lack bass extension to subbass levels not even after two months of burn-in

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,010 of 7,541

Grab the XBA-A3, they are proving to be an excellent match with the A17.  I love it, not too bassy, great soundstage, awesome treble that is smooth yet detailed. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,011 of 7,541
Thank you both for the reply, much appreciated.
@gerelmx1986 i find the volume just fine with my existing in ears, nver goes over level 16, and I don't like my music very loud anyway. I'm not concerned about not getting the last bit of soundstage as I mainly listen to chamber rarather than orchestral music. Timbre accuracy is what I'm after, especially with strings. Your description sounds promising...I'm wondering if I'll able to try them in store with my music. I don't want to replace my home rig but I'm really enjoying usinfusing the A15 while commuting or even in bed.

@jmsaxon69 Are the A3 the same as the H3?

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,012 of 7,541
@gerelmx1986 i find the volume just fine with my existing in ears, nver goes over level 16, and I don't like my music very loud anyway. I'm not concerned about not getting the last bit of soundstage as I mainly listen to chamber rarather than orchestral music. Timbre accuracy is what I'm after, especially with strings. Your description sounds promising...I'm wondering if I'll able to try them in store with my music. I don't want to replace my home rig but I'm really enjoying usinfusing the A15 while commuting or even in bed.

A3 is the Updated version of the H3's
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,013 of 7,541
Oppo HA-2 portable amp is now for sale to US, Can & Mex, starting to save ca$h
biggrin.gif
 , estimated cost for shipping arround 50 usd, the HA-2 is reasoneable priced 299 US dollars

totaling like 5,210 MXN

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,015 of 7,541

No Japanese market upgrade on the H3, second in line to the Z5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back