SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #781 of 7,541
Anyone out there with an A series Walkman who's also heard or owns a Z Walkman, say for example Z1050?

I want to know how this little guy fairs and if something like a Z1050 would still remain superior in sound (only)

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #782 of 7,541
So I finally got my A17 yesterday. I'm probably going to state what has already been said, but this is what I think of the player. I would like to start by saying that so far I've only listened to 24 bit ALAC files with the new Sony MDR-1A headphones.

First off, like others have said, its a very neutral, clear, detailed and analytical. I have listened on pretty loud volumes as well as softer volumes and the sound was consistently clear, with no distortion. The audio is very clear and detailed though you don't get the micro details that you would on other players. Instrument separation is very good, and stereo imaging is great as well. 

As most people have also said the X5 does sound better than this device. Most people like the warmer sound of the X5, plus the soundstage is wider, and you get the micro details you don't get with the A17. That being said, in my opinion, while the X5 is better for the reasons just stated, the overall difference in sound is minimal and is not enough to compete with the size, UI and battery life of the A17.

In conclusion, this is a pretty amazing portable player withe great neutral, clear, detailed sound with great UI, battery life and portability. If you absolutely need the best sound you can possibly get and don't care about anything else in a player, stick with the X5.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #783 of 7,541
Hi alwass89,

Do you happen to have the WM-Port -to- USB A adapter cable that would allow you to pull SPDIF out of the A17 to an external DAC?

How about an LOD for analog out to an external amp?

I'm wondering if your disappointment with the A17 relative to the X5 (which I also have), is related more to the performance/sound of the A17 amp or to its DAC.

Thanks!

Mike

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #784 of 7,541
Sorry if this has already been answered, but wouldn’t it be more realistic to compare the A15/17 to the Fiio X3 rather than X5?  There is a big price difference between the A15 and X5 in my country, whereas the A15 and X3 are closer.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #785 of 7,541
  Hi alwass89,

Do you happen to have the WM-Port -to- USB A adapter cable that would allow you to pull SPDIF out of the A17 to an external DAC?

How about an LOD for analog out to an external amp?

I'm wondering if your disappointment with the A17 relative to the X5 (which I also have), is related more to the performance/sound of the A17 amp or to its DAC.

Thanks!

Mike

on a side note, pretty much all the sony DAPs with that usb plug have had an analog line out with the proper cable. it's been like this for years. the new thing is that some now also have a digital out, and I'm still waitting on some courageous explorer to buy the sony otg cable (never remember the reference) and tell us if it's limited to sony DACs or if it works on other brands?

that was to half answer you 5pages ago :'( booohoooohooo, nobody loves meeeeeeeeheeeeeeeheeee.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #786 of 7,541
  Sorry if this has already been answered, but wouldn’t it be more realistic to compare the A15/17 to the Fiio X3 rather than X5?  There is a big price difference between the A15 and X5 in my country, whereas the A15 and X3 are closer.

but it is the same thing. the reasons to get a sony or a fiio are the same. power vs battery, sound vs size+ui. what is true for the x5 will be for the x3.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #787 of 7,541
A15 vs. X3

and

A17 vs. X5

These make valid comparisons in my mind, but it's a given that you will have to do the comparisons with really efficient headphones or IEMs because the Sony amps are W-E-A-K.

I am researching and considering the use of an A17 with the OPPO HA-2  (hopefully pulling SPDIF out via a WMC-NWH10 cable).

The plan (if they're compatible) is to use the A17 only as a card-reader-equipped transport with a friendly UI - relying on the OPPO HA-2's ESS9018M2 DAC and far more powerful Class AB amp.

WMC-NWH10.jpg

97a963b7_IMG_1735_OPPO_HA-2_with_iPad_Mini_and_OPPO_PM-1_05_x960.jpeg

cc2fb382_IMG_1732_OPPO_HA-2_with_iPad_Mini_and_OPPO_PM-1_04_x960.jpeg

Has anyone tried using the A17 with a USB DAC (via the WM-Port)?

Thanks!

Mike

12/28/2014 UPDATE:  
OPPO engineer's have successfully tested the current OPPO HA-2 prototype with the Sony NWZ-A17 and WMC-NWH10 cable. They are compatible!

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #788 of 7,541
  A15 vs. X3

and

A17 vs. X5

These make valid comparisons in my mind, but it's a given that you will have to do the comparisons with really efficient headphones or IEMs because the Sony amps are W-E-A-K.

I am researching and considering the use of an A17 with the OPPO HA-2  (hopefully pulling SPDIF out via a WMC-NWH10 cable).

The plan (if they're compatible) is to use the A17 only as a card-reader-equipped transport with a friendly UI - relying on the OPPO HA-2's ESS9018M2 DAC and far more powerful Class AB amp.

WMC-NWH10.jpg

97a963b7_IMG_1735_OPPO_HA-2_with_iPad_Mini_and_OPPO_PM-1_05_x960.jpeg

cc2fb382_IMG_1732_OPPO_HA-2_with_iPad_Mini_and_OPPO_PM-1_04_x960.jpeg

Has anyone tried using the A17 with a USB DAC (via the WM-Port)?

Thanks!

Mike

sexy amp.............wow
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #789 of 7,541
Amping this really does take it above the levels of X1, X3. Micro detail also could be a headphone thing, The player to me seems fine with detail.
I'd be curious to see the pins used on the WMC-NWH10 cable.

I've been listening to my CD box set of Electric Light Orchestra all week ripped as flacs having a blast.
Every now and then I get a track that blows me away. Never felt this before, its crazy.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #790 of 7,541
very small, light and pretty
nice display, nice UI
30/30 volume matches something like 90/120 (low gain) on X3. I had to crank up volume up to 30 in some cases (high res albums with very high DR) . For normal rock/pop with 5-8 DR in Flac 16/44 i use +-18, which matches +- 55 (low gain) on X3.

first SQ impression (using es10): Fiio x3 sounds one tier better. Dont ask me details, cause i cant describe my hearing. Maybe my ears needs to get used on the new sound and after few days, it will be different story.
Anyway. Im happy with A10. Battery life, size and quicker recharging makes it up for me. If priced same, i would still pick A10 over X3 due to its portability.

edit: I experimented with Clear Bass EQ and it seems to work well. It seems to bring fuller, heavier sound, closer to X3. It is not working with high-res files though.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #791 of 7,541
^^ Play with the sound settings, see if that raises the bar.

Curious as to what you guys use to test micro detail, speed, decay and all that technical jazz.
Surely there is a generated sine wave or something right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back