SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #752 of 7,541

can' t help enjoying seeing two sets of fanboys quarrel while i listen to my lowly combo of clip+ and e6
biggrin.gif

No fanboyism here. Glad you are enjoying that. Musical enjoyment is what is sometimes lost in this hobby.

btw didn't u lke the sound of x5??

Yes I do but the sound is only part of the equation.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #753 of 7,541

No fanboyism here. Glad you are enjoying that. Musical enjoyment is what is sometimes lost in this hobby.

Yes I do but the sound is only part of the equation.

UI+bulk+low battery life+scrolling wheel+random freezes
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #754 of 7,541
What shade of black is it? Can you lose it down the back of the sofa? Just how smooth are the edges, and using a micrometer, just precisely how wide is it?  Can it outperform an F15 in level flight, and does it howl at the moon when it rains at night?   methinks the original question was vis a vis the f886,, but in the mean time, knock yourselves out boys.Dimensions and weight are much more interesting.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #756 of 7,541
  What shade of black is it? Can you lose it down the back of the sofa? Just how smooth are the edges, and using a micrometer, just precisely how wide is it?  Can it outperform an F15 in level flight, and does it howl at the moon when it rains at night?   methinks the original question was vis a vis the f886,, but in the mean time, knock yourselves out boys.Dimensions and weight are much more interesting.

F-22 and su-35 both can outperform f-15 imho
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #761 of 7,541
Oct 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #763 of 7,541
  so pretty much the A10 is underwhelming 

I haven't read any praise about it (except battery life). Seems it just "does the job" 

I'd like to quote this from What Hi-Fi's F886 review because it sums up one of many possibiltiies.
 It's worth noting the rather ‘safety-first’ attitude the Sony has towards the midrange. There’s a slight concavity in the way music is presented, a recessing of the midrange that can make vocalists occasionally struggle for primacy. The overall effect is a slight inhibition of overall dynamics which makes the Sony less immediately impressive, less ‘up-and-at-‘em’ if that's your thing. For us, however, the Sony's more refined approach, particularly with high-res tracks, is just the ticket.

It is my understanding that Sony digitally sculpts the PO sound on Walkmans (but not the WM-Port LO), and they always choose this restrained, tight, small sound over the Apple-esque straight up sound, even if this causes the walkmans to appear inferior. Even I for a long time have been misled by this.

The reason I raise this is because I just got an A15, and find that despite the, uhh, "underwhelmment", it is definitely more powerful than any MP3/network Walkman product I can recall. My hardest-to-drive IEMs immediately sound like they're properly driven in a way I've never seen on a Walkman (but have on the Sony M10, note that Sony doesn't digitally alter the PO on IC Recorders and those sound a little more like everybody else's products). The A15 also seems more revealing of file faults than any Walkman I recall, and makes certain A-list smartphones seem tolerant by comparison, but that's anecdotal observation at this point.

I cuss my Sony smartphone out on a daily basis (damn lemon), so I'm the farthest thing from a Sony fanboy at this point, but I've come back to this because even if something else sounds better, I kinda still trust Sony to not screw up a non-android, non-windows product. That's just how I feel. I might still get the X1 later on or I could go back to, well, the "lowly" stuff. Don't kid yourself; shopping is an art form that never ends.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #764 of 7,541

I'd like to quote this from What Hi-Fi's F886 review because it sums up one of many possibiltiies.

It is my understanding that Sony digitally sculpts the PO sound on Walkmans (but not the WM-Port LO), and they always choose this restrained, tight, small sound over the Apple-esque straight up sound, even if this causes the walkmans to appear inferior. Even I for a long time have been misled by this.

The reason I raise this is because I just got an A15, and find that despite the, uhh, "underwhelmment", it is definitely more powerful than any MP3/network Walkman product I can recall. My hardest-to-drive IEMs immediately sound like they're properly driven in a way I've never seen on a Walkman (but have on the Sony M10, note that Sony doesn't digitally alter the PO on IC Recorders and those sound a little more like everybody else's products). The A15 also seems more revealing of file faults than any Walkman I recall, and makes certain A-list smartphones seem tolerant by comparison, but that's anecdotal observation at this point.

I cuss my Sony smartphone out on a daily basis (damn lemon), so I'm the farthest thing from a Sony fanboy at this point, but I've come back to this because even if something else sounds better, I kinda still trust Sony to not screw up a non-android, non-windows product. That's just how I feel. I might still get the X1 later on or I could go back to, well, the "lowly" stuff. Don't kid yourself; shopping is an art form that never ends.
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #765 of 7,541
I also found this negativity about a yet-to-be-released product weird. I am definitely not a fanboy of any brand, but I got a special sympathy for walkman's, yes.

Using nw-407 stick walkman for 5, and A-845 for 3 years without a problem (also being quite happy with their sound at the time), the last one of them was F886, for which I can say to have the best sound quality I've heard for a walkman till that date. 

I think it may be that since F886 is said to be very close to the sound quality of flagship ZX1 (that can surely affect the sales of ZX1), Sony could have decided to loosen the strings on A10 series, and drop its sq a bit from F886. 

In any other probable situation, I guess the sq levels of F880 and A10 series would be on the same level. And the "grain" issue mentioned in the previous comments may be dependent on the used walkmans, headphones etc., since F886 gave the clearest sound I've heard from a portable player without any hint of grain. 

I did not use X5, but from my X3 experience, I can say that - loving daps with expansive soundstage and sparkling treble - X3 was quite a disappointment for me despite its crystal clear mids, very nice bass, and gigantic power. 

So please, do not go to a "generalized better" debate here, because it is not quite possible. X1 may have better bass, or say A15 may have better extension in an objective way, but if you go and say "this dap is better" , the debate can go on and on for ten years in a subjective manner, full of empty talk and bs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back