SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #721 of 7,541
I have the F886 and also recently heard this player. When I read castleofargh's review, I get the impression that the A10 is similar sounding and not expect much advance in SQ. What I heard was that I actually prefer the F886 for being slightly warmer, smooth and fuller sounding. The A10 may have more details which goes deeper, but it strike me as sounding somewhat dry and more digital than F886.  I am not sure but may be it is a matter of insufficient run-in.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #722 of 7,541
Yes I had a X1 and returned it prematurely before listing to the A17. But now I just ordered the X1 again should have it tomorrow. It is a difference.

I am likely not a standard case tho since I run mine thought line out to the PHA-1.
I can hear micro details, everything. Clean beautiful sound and all that.

Would be interesting to know the dac chips in the A15 and X1. I know my amp is likely better than the X1 for sure.
I fear the dac in the Walkman might be an in-house job at SONY tho.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #725 of 7,541
I am likely not a standard case tho since I run mine thought line out to the PHA-1.

I can hear micro details, everything. Clean beautiful sound and all that.

Would be interesting to know the dac chips in the A15 and X1. I know my amp is likely better than the X1 for sure.
The cool thing about it. It can drive the headphones. Don't really need an amp.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #726 of 7,541

Its better to get x5 than to get a17 and an amp seperately imho,,,u made the right choice with x1 i think,,,,lot of positive opinion regarding x1

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #727 of 7,541

The headphones I use are the 63ohm MDR-V6, I don't need it with this player either, it just sounds vastly better amped with the PHA-1.
I have the Fiio E7 which I can plug the same way for amping and I found that set-up boring in comparison.
I guess after the dac/amp E7 I've felt like Fiio has been over hyped. It works, but nothing special. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #728 of 7,541
  The headphones I use are the 63ohm MDR-V6, I don't need it with this player either, it just sounds vastly better amped with the PHA-1.
I have the Fiio E7 which I can plug the same way for amping and I found that set-up boring in comparison.
I guess after the dac/amp E7 I've felt like Fiio has been over hyped. It works, but nothing special. 

e7 is too cheap man...........pha-1 costs 4 times more
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #729 of 7,541

e7 is too cheap man...........pha-1 costs 4 times more
rolleyes.gif

In total this setup A15 + PHA-1 cost me $750au. I could get an X1 today for $115.

Everyone has different ears, desires and goals that need to be checked for a portable player, my set up does this for me.
Its not as clear cut as telling people they will prefer the X1 better and they shouldn't try this Walkman.

For me the keys were the flac support and 50hr playback on CD quality files. I was always going to amp no matter the player where possible. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #730 of 7,541
sardar17 first you say "All the walkmans sound more or less the same excluding zx1" then say  "Sony is going down the drain,,,,,that stupid s master amp is ******** of galactic proportions
mad.gif
"

you're aware the zx1 uses the s master amp right? also if you've heard the F,Z and X series I'm sure you would agree they sound much different from the E and S and earlier A series players and this isn't necessarily saying any one is out and out better than the other,just that they each have their own characteristics which depending on what someone wants in a DAP could be seen as either strengths or weaknesses.

I personally will reserve any and all judgements until I have my own A17.at this point i honestly don't expect it to sound like my F807 or my E345 but somewhere in between,which is fine by me as I love both players for different reasons (though if i could only keep one it would be goodbye E345),the S Master amp may not be for everyone but it is anything but a POS ,I'm pretty confident if you heard the F800 or F880 series you would agree,i know we disagreed earlier on which is better between the Sony E series and a Sansa Clip+ and that's fine,I think we each have our own preferences there and yes the clip+ is a great player for the price,  - though all that aside,before you make a wide sweeping statement like "the S Master amp is a POS of galactic proportions" first off own a player which has one (i,e, ZX1,F800,F880 or A10) and take into account that a just because two players share a similar chip (whether for an amp or a dac or what have you) does not mean they will sound the same or even similar, (there is a lot to be said for implementation) ,for example how many different players use the Wolfson WM8740 dac and sound nothing alike? at the end of the day I think the best thing is to order an a15/a17 and if you are dissatisfied send it back and order an X3 or maybe a DX50 ,you'll have to make some concessions somewhere though,be it a lack of bass boost or accepting some level of hiss (in which case,use a less sensitive iem or on or over ear headphone).the ideal DAP is something we all dream of but in the real world you would be hard pressed to find all the best features Sony has to offer (sleek design,superb ui,clearbass,custom eq,fantastic battery life etc ) and also expect the resolution of the FiiO X3/X5 or DX90 etc. as far as whether or not it sounds better than the X1,is up to whether you use sensitive iems or not,beyond the lack of hiss does the X1 sound better than the A10 series? i won't speculate as I have heard neither so far and don't trust anyone elses opinion other than my ears, but again,the X1 may sell for $99 but until you spend at least another $40 for a 64gb microSD card its of no use,so actually its a (at best) $140 unit (closer to a $200 unit if you want a 128gb card),and one which lacks the battery life,clearbass,incredible UI and ability to store as much as 192gb.fact is neither player is that expensive and before the end of 2015 I will own both (actually I'll most likely forgo the X1 and just purchase a used X3 off the forums here),my point is this,instead of bemoaning everything the a10 series supposedly lacks (a player you have yet to hear with your own ears and have formed judgements on based on the experiences of others) why not see the positive in the fact that we live in an era where you can for less than a few hundred dollars own a portable player that can hold over a thousand albums in your shirt pocket and sounds better than any portable cassette or cd player the best money could buy less than ten years ago? I was listening to my Aiwa XP-SP921 portable cd player last night (made in 2001) and its a great sounding unit,so long as you don't mind the bulk,the fact it can only store a single 80 minute disc and has no eq (though does have a bass boost) and as fantastic as it sounds it can't match my Sony F807,and so to me,todays technology is nothing shy of miraculous.okay rant over.time for some Aphex Twin via F807/D2+Boa/Grado PS500e. life is good!

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #732 of 7,541
  sardar17 first you say "All the walkmans sound more or less the same excluding zx1" then say  "Sony is going down the drain,,,,,that stupid s master amp is ******** of galactic proportions
mad.gif
"

you're aware the zx1 uses the s master amp right? also if you've heard the F,Z and X series I'm sure you would agree they sound much different from the E and S and earlier A series players and this isn't necessarily saying any one is out and out better than the other,just that they each have their own characteristics which depending on what someone wants in a DAP could be seen as either strengths or weaknesses.

I personally will reserve any and all judgements until I have my own A17.at this point i honestly don't expect it to sound like my F807 or my E345 but somewhere in between,which is fine by me as I love both players for different reasons (though if i could only keep one it would be goodbye E345),the S Master amp may not be for everyone but it is anything but a POS ,I'm pretty confident if you heard the F800 or F880 series you would agree,i know we disagreed earlier on which is better between the Sony E series and a Sansa Clip+ and that's fine,I think we each have our own preferences there and yes the clip+ is a great player for the price,  - though all that aside,before you make a wide sweeping statement like "the S Master amp is a POS of galactic proportions" first off own a player which has one (i,e, ZX1,F800,F880 or A10) and take into account that a just because two players share a similar chip (whether for an amp or a dac or what have you) does not mean they will sound the same or even similar, (there is a lot to be said for implementation) ,for example how many different players use the Wolfson WM8740 dac and sound nothing alike? at the end of the day I think the best thing is to order an a15/a17 and if you are dissatisfied send it back and order an X3 or maybe a DX50 ,you'll have to make some concessions somewhere though,be it a lack of bass boost or accepting some level of hiss (in which case,use a less sensitive iem or on or over ear headphone).the ideal DAP is something we all dream of but in the real world you would be hard pressed to find all the best features Sony has to offer (sleek design,superb ui,clearbass,custom eq,fantastic battery life etc ) and also expect the resolution of the FiiO X3/X5 or DX90 etc. as far as whether or not it sounds better than the X1,is up to whether you use sensitive iems or not,beyond the lack of hiss does the X1 sound better than the A10 series? i won't speculate as I have heard neither so far and don't trust anyone elses opinion other than my ears, but again,the X1 may sell for $99 but until you spend at least another $40 for a 64gb microSD card its of no use,so actually its a (at best) $140 unit (closer to a $200 unit if you want a 128gb card),and one which lacks the battery life,clearbass,incredible UI and ability to store as much as 192gb.fact is neither player is that expensive and before the end of 2015 I will own both (actually I'll most likely forgo the X1 and just purchase a used X3 off the forums here),my point is this,instead of bemoaning everything the a10 series supposedly lacks (a player you have yet to hear with your own ears and have formed judgements on based on the experiences of others) why not see the positive in the fact that we live in an era where you can for less than a few hundred dollars own a portable player that can hold over a thousand albums in your shirt pocket and sounds better than any portable cassette or cd player the best money could buy less than ten years ago? I was listening to my Aiwa XP-SP921 portable cd player last night (made in 2001) and its a great sounding unit,so long as you don't mind the bulk,the fact it can only store a single 80 minute disc and has no eq (though does have a bass boost) and as fantastic as it sounds it can't match my Sony F807,and so to me,todays technology is nothing shy of miraculous.okay rant over.time for some Aphex Twin via F807/D2+Boa/Grado PS500e. life is good!

dude no need to freak out,,there are 1000 more things in operation than s-master here in zx1 vs a17.
Zx1 is clearly having a better dac considering the price range and size,also the reviews substantiate that point.

A17 ,from multiple sources is not being able to justify the 200$(16 gb) from sonic point of view.............though if bluetooth,nfc is absolutely must for u then its the best in this bracket.

And last of all,man why are u going so serious?,,all people here have owned or own lot of sony stuff and want the best for the company,i just can't fathom why they are not able to match even fiio which is nobody in monetary terms compared to them.Maybe they need to put in a proper amp after all as s-master is clearly not a substitute to the real traditional thing for sure.

chill man
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #733 of 7,541

In total this setup A15 + PHA-1 cost me $750au. I could get an X1 today for $115.

Everyone has different ears, desires and goals that need to be checked for a portable player, my set up does this for me.
Its not as clear cut as telling people they will prefer the X1 better and they shouldn't try this Walkman.

For me the keys were the flac support and 50hr playback on CD quality files. I was always going to amp no matter the player where possible. 

Yes i agree,i was speaking for a person who wants the best value from a player and is not interested in getting a separate amp.Thats the only way to compare the two and since its head fi sq is paramount to everything else.

But yeah different people,different choices
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #734 of 7,541
btw any idea if this still can be ordered??

http://www.sony.co.in/product/nw-s205f/sku/nw-s205f_bm+e

awesome product,,my friend had this years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back