SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #5,131 of 7,541
  every time i put the A-10 in my crowded pocket and barely feel it in my pocket ... without worrying about if it had enough charge or not .. plus that i like sometimes to play with its sound settings and it really has NICE sound quality .. the blind control in my pocket is amazing i even don't need to search for the buttons !! ....i feel blessed that i have that player
darthsmile.gif

for me battery life is a nerve breaking problem with the A10. just 3weeks ago I went out, took the A15, noticed there was only 1bar left on the battery icon!!!! you can't imagine how stressed I was!!! so much so that I finally gave up and recharged the DAP only 3 days later while still using it everyday
deadhorse.gif

lol and the funny thing is that except to go running, I also have the E585 in the bag as a back up(and often also one or 2 sansa clips with audiobooks), it also goes well past 35h. that and always having a second pair of IEM in the bag in case I break or lose the first one(because both did happen to me in the past). those are the rules of "the world can now burn I fear nothing".

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,132 of 7,541
  My V3s and K10u does hiss with A17 (less than Hugo),it isn't audible when music is playing though. It's brilliant with IE800 and T51P.
DX90 was brilliant for these sensitive BA IEMs  . If not for the overly sensitive touch screen, it would have been a keeper.

Thank you for your report!

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #5,133 of 7,541
  for me battery life is a nerve breaking problem with the A10. just 3weeks ago I went out, took the A15, noticed there was only 1bar left on the battery icon!!!! you can't imagine how stressed I was!!! so much so that I finally gave up and recharged the DAP only 3 days later while still using it everyday
deadhorse.gif

lol and the funny thing is that except to go running, I also have the E585 in the bag as a back up(and often also one or 2 sansa clips with audiobooks), it also goes well past 35h. that and always having a second pair of IEM in the bag in case I break or lose the first one(because both did happen to me in the past). those are the rules of "the world can now burn I fear nothing".

this is nice ... always having backup
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,134 of 7,541

biggrin.gif

life, and me being an idiot, both taught me to always have spare parts. ^_^
the time I got really mad was when I forgot the charger for the RSA protector(special charger, special plug....grrrrrrrrr) and I didn't have any single ended cable to use the dap alone. I ended up buying some koss "the plug" at the tran station for the DAP, and spent 3weeks like that abroad... so hifi. never again will I go with anything that can't work out with a mini jack on portable gears. nevaahhhhhh!

here is the plug needed on my IEMs for that amp:

eek.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,135 of 7,541

edit: sorry I write crap but don't answer your question ^_^:
to me everything with the proper amp for the headphone has the potential to be superior to any DAP without amp. it's a caricature and it's obviously not always true, but still I believe the general idea to stand pretty well. just because the amp section in DAP has historically been so bad.
so yes the sony+amp might be better in some situations than the X1. but a X1+the same amp is probably even better
wink_face.gif
but solutions like using a DAC+amp as a few guys are doing with the sony, now that looks like the best of both worlds. cool sony ui, still the sony alone when the DAC runs out of battery or when you don't want to be bothered carrying 2 devices, and you never have to cry in silence with a dead battery and still a 4hour train travel(sounds like a true story, it is). and as good a sound as the DAC/amp you add to it. for people really concerned with fidelity, it's a sain move. I'm of those who doubt the need for such fidelity on the go, but after all many people also use those devices at their desk while working in a not too noisy environment. so who knows, to each his own needs and wishes.

Thanks for the edit. I was reading on and on and thought I won't be able to get your point of view about dap / amp.
etysmile.gif

I couldn't agree more when you say:"...but solutions like using a DAC+amp as a few guys are doing with the sony, now that looks like the best of both worlds...."  I use my A17 like that. And if I want to use it on the go complete fidelity is not an issue for me. I only use A17 without and amp when I'm working in the library, and the SQ is good enough.   

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #5,136 of 7,541
I just bought Topping NX1 amp, and it really improves the SQ of sony A10; big improvement! Even with sensitive IEM (ZA Doppio) I have. Less sibilant, more airy, better separation, fuller bass and more depth. So, Sony A10 does have a weak amp -.- 

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,137 of 7,541
I'm still looking to upgrade from my iBasso dzero mk2 to use with my A15 and my Denon D7000 when I'm away from my desktop setup. The Oppo ha2 has a lot of great reviews, a bit on the pricey end of the scale, but seems to tick a lot of the boxes. Any other portable amp/dac suggestions, or some more thumbs up/feedback for the Oppo with the A15 please?

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #5,138 of 7,541

deadhorse.gif

biggrin.gif

I use mine every day :D and has been greta since day one

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #5,139 of 7,541
I'm still looking to upgrade from my iBasso dzero mk2 to use with my A15 and my Denon D7000 when I'm away from my desktop setup. The Oppo ha2 has a lot of great reviews, a bit on the pricey end of the scale, but seems to tick a lot of the boxes. Any other portable amp/dac suggestions, or some more thumbs up/feedback for the Oppo with the A15 please?

Just note that not all USB DAC supports hi-res all the way. For example, D-Zero MK2 only does up to 24/96, where HA-2 will do 24/192 without a problem. This won't be a concern if you are not playing with hi-res files, but should be something to look into if you do, or planning to do so.

Also note that not all USB DAC with works with A10 series. So far the best USB DAC I have used with A10 series are iFi Audio micro iDSD and Chord Hugo, though both (especially the later) are probably way higher than your budget. HA-2 is the second best on my list, which I think it well worth the asking price for its performance.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #5,140 of 7,541
Thank you ClieOS for your input, I sometimes think of some factors and totally forget others - I would prefer to furureproof myself for hi-res files I may later acquire. Are there any issues with the Oppo and A15 I need to know about? I intend to use only the amp section with my A15 and perhaps the dac with my Z3 compact tablet.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #5,141 of 7,541
After trying for a few months to resolve the A15 Euro-cap issue, I choose to pair it with the Fiio E12 and it literaly flies! It looses part of its portability though, but I am only pairing it inside an airplane or any other crouded place (metro etc).

Of course for the same amount of money I could have got an ZX1 but... Too late for that

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,142 of 7,541
Thank you ClieOS for your input, I sometimes think of some factors and totally forget others - I would prefer to furureproof myself for hi-res files I may later acquire. Are there any issues with the Oppo and A15 I need to know about? I intend to use only the amp section with my A15 and perhaps the dac with my Z3 compact tablet.

If you are only intended to use HA-2 as an amp for A15, then you can consider getting a line-out dock for Sony Walkman. FiiO makes a good quality one and it is under $20 on most places, including eBay. You can of course buy a much more expensive one though I personally don't see the point.

I do however really will advise you use HA-2 as an DAC+amp for your A15, as the DAC inside HA-2 is indeed much nicer than the one inside A15. What you will need is a special USB OTG cable, which you can find on TaoBao (here)

As for Z3 compact tablet + HA-2 - just using the micro-to-micro USB cable included with the HA-2 is fine.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,144 of 7,541
If you are only intended to use HA-2 as an amp for A15, then you can consider getting a line-out dock for Sony Walkman. FiiO makes a good quality one and it is under $20 on most places, including eBay. You can of course buy a much more expensive one though I personally don't see the point.

I do however really will advise you use HA-2 as an DAC+amp for your A15, as the DAC inside HA-2 is indeed much nicer than the one inside A15. What you will need is a special USB OTG cable, which you can find on TaoBao (here)

As for Z3 compact tablet + HA-2 - just using the micro-to-micro USB cable included with the HA-2 is fine.

Be aware that the Z3 no longer supportd Hi Res via USB after the Lollipop update. It did when it was launched

Users who are viewing this thread

Back