SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Apr 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #4,351 of 7,541
I can't say it's a problem with the battery yet because when I play normally I do get 70 hours with regular 320 MP3 within the week.
Something is draining the battery when powering it off for a number of days (14 days in my case)
I know when you power if off its actually on standby and if you don't touch for 24 hours it automatically shuts down. So maybe I should power it off and check the battery right before 24 hours to see if there's any drainage.
  TBH 1bar left after 2 weeks that's what I got from my trip in thailand where I used the dap like A LOT on the way there and then maybe every other day for an hour or 2, so it would be strange to get the same result not doing anything. maybe your A17 has a problem?
I'll try not to touch it for some time and if I'm don't forget, I'll let you know.

Regarding the batteyr drain issue of @AUDIOBREEDER
 walkman, was wondering today, if lowering the volume to 00 (zero) will save more battery life while on sleep mode? I assume volume on 0 equals the amp is receiving zero current or so

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,352 of 7,541

Regarding the batteyr drain issue of @AUDIOBREEDER walkman, was wondering today, if lowering the volume to 00 (zero) will save more battery life while on sleep mode? I assume volume on 0 equals the amp is receiving zero current or so

It doesn't work that way.

explain then please . I want to know more
dt880smile.png

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #4,353 of 7,541
I can't say it's a problem with the battery yet because when I play normally I do get 70 hours with regular 320 MP3 within the week.
Something is draining the battery when powering it off for a number of days (14 days in my case)
I know when you power if off its actually on standby and if you don't touch for 24 hours it automatically shuts down. So maybe I should power it off and check the battery right before 24 hours to see if there's any drainage.  

70 hours with mp3
eek.gif
, you didn't mistype 50? gosh me with flac 44.1 get like 44

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #4,354 of 7,541
dt880smile.png

When the circuit is on, even without any signal coming in, the chip itself still needs to consume a minimum amount of power to stay 'active' in order to react when there is a signal coming in (*other wise known as quiescent power consumption, which is standby voltage x quiescent current of the circuit). The act of turning the volume to zero doesn't mean you are shutting off the circuit entirely, it only means there is no signal for the amp to amplify, but the circuit still need to use power until you actually cut the power off.

So assuming the circuit doesn't actually turn off entirely in sleep mode, which won't matter if the volume is zero or not, as the circuit still eating up the minimum required power regardless the volume setting since there isn't any signal coming from the DAC anyway.

If the circuit does turn off entirely in sleep mode, then of course there is no power to the amp section at all, and so it simply doesn't matter what volume setting it is in.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,355 of 7,541
just look at the cable model it's written on it if it's a sony cable. but I would bet on the wmc-nw010, the almost totally useless cable. it's to plug into a plane's plug to watch movies, it runs inside your walkman and let you use the noise cancelling of the device(only with the provided NC IEMs).

Not just a plane, but any 3.5mm jack sources

Laptop
Phone
Tablet
Gameboy
Another walkman?

I used the audio input cable that came with my x1060 myself with laptop when out in a coffee shop/pub.

But my a845 was bought for everyday use and I never tryed the audio input with that.

On another silly cable note; has anyone got an actual Sony amp with wmport input??

I do have a Sony 5200es amp that has front usb input that a walkman or any usb can be connected to, but always thought what's the point of an amp having a dedicated wmport :p

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,356 of 7,541
Myabe sony does this on purpose to "custon-cable" and avoid reselliers... that's what i think

But i've been thinking if one of you have a high-speed dremel tool (mini drill) with sanding/cutting drill bit, perhaps you can cut the lead-pin? (disc-shaped metal cutter, to cut the metal), then polish with the polishing tool to smooth out the Sharp edges

If I had/get a portable usb dac I may shave the pin off.

But just remembered don't the PHA dacs come with a wmport to micro USB cable also?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #4,357 of 7,541

dt880smile.png

When the circuit is on, even without any signal coming in, the chip itself still needs to consume a minimum amount of power to stay 'active' in order to react when there is a signal coming in (*other wise known as quiescent power consumption, which is standby voltage x quiescent current of the circuit). The act of turning the volume to zero doesn't mean you are shutting off the circuit entirely, it only means there is no signal for the amp to amplify, but the circuit still need to use power until you actually cut the power off.

So assuming the circuit doesn't actually turn off entirely in sleep mode, which won't matter if the volume is zero or not, as the circuit still eating up the minimum required power regardless the volume setting since there isn't any signal coming from the DAC anyway.

If the circuit does turn off entirely in sleep mode, then of course there is no power to the amp section at all, and so it simply doesn't matter what volume setting it is in.

Tnx, this paycheck I will grab a WMC-NWH10

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #4,358 of 7,541
Hey folks, have one of you tried the MusicHeaven MH-LD113 Digital-OUT for walkman (a china-made alternative to the more expensive and battery-draining WMC-NWH10)?

How does battery life compares to the sony's own WMC-NWH10?, Seems it has the normal length WM-PORT connector and NOT the big/Long one from the WMC-NWH10
I'm only INTERESTED IN BATTERY-LIFE FORGET ABOUT SQ

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,359 of 7,541

just look at the cable model it's written on it if it's a sony cable. but I would bet on the wmc-nw010, the almost totally useless cable. it's to plug into a plane's plug to watch movies, it runs inside your walkman and let you use the noise cancelling of the device(only with the provided NC IEMs).

Not just a plane, but any 3.5mm jack sources

Laptop
Phone
Tablet
Gameboy
Another walkman?

I used the audio input cable that came with my x1060 myself with laptop when out in a coffee shop/pub.

But my a845 was bought for everyday use and I never tryed the audio input with that.

On another silly cable note; has anyone got an actual Sony amp with wmport input??

I do have a Sony 5200es amp that has front usb input that a walkman or any usb can be connected to, but always thought what's the point of an amp having a dedicated wmport
tongue.gif

oh of course any analog input would work. my plane example was merely the only actual situation where it ever made sense for me to use it. but even there, I found that a pair of etymotics or even some bose QC15 did a better job than the sony IEMs with NC. as the passive isolation is really poor and I still could hear the most high pitched annoying old ladies talking over it, or a baby crying.
rolleyes.gif

but it does a great job for low freqs.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4,360 of 7,541
I am selling my old A846 and just got the box out of the cupboard, in it is a cable that has the wm port (player usb input) on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other -  does anyone know what this is for?

Hi there.
The mentioned cable can be modified to a Line-Out cable, so if you have an stereo amplifier which has a 3,5 mm IN port, then walkman can be used as a source.
P.S.: i've took 2 of these cables to a local TV repair shop, and after the correct pins were located, a soldering got the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,361 of 7,541
Hi there.
The mentioned cable can be modified to a Line-Out cable, so if you have an stereo amplifier which has a 3,5 mm IN port, then walkman can be used as a source.
P.S.: i've took 2 of these cables to a local TV repair shop, and after the correct pins were located, a soldering got the job done.

Thanks for that, I was wondering if it could be converted to something useful. Would that mean the line out from the wm port of the A15 into a headphone amplifier would be better that the headphone out? Would it be possible to use the wm port end of an old charging cable?

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,362 of 7,541
Thanks for that, I was wondering if it could be converted to something useful. Would that mean the line out from the wm port of the A15 into a headphone amplifier would be better that the headphone out? Would it be possible to use the wm port end of an old charging cable?

I perceive at least with my L5 from fiio that the sound coming from the Line-out is cleaner tan the Headphone socket, Regarding the conversión to a line out you could check the cables of th wm-port and the pins to solder/desolder, but really don't know where you can get that information (pinout of the wm-port dock)

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4,363 of 7,541
if you're not confident with soldering I wouldn't advise any of this. the the "pins" on the plug are pretty close from each other.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #4,364 of 7,541
Hi there.

Sorry, as i don't own any headphone amplifiers, i can't answer that question.

Question nr. 2: As far as i can tell, it can be used as long as it has all the necessary pins (for left and right audio channels - both for audio recording/playing).

Hint: http://m.instructables.com/id/LineOut-cable-for-sony-walkman-with-wm-port/step2/Choosing-a-resistor-and-pin-info/

874b0ff493d9cc67cf5a97bb28bd8c23.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back