SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #4,068 of 8,642
I am so happy)))
thanks! however, where can I see total playback time on each output?
I found firmware is 2.00. it says 2.01 is available. shall I update? how better is it?
Tomorrow I am planning to go to the audioshow and to test highend headphones with this little masterpiece. (hd820, hd660s, audese...if they did not sell them all)))
this DAP is so pleasant in the hand.

Welcome to the happiness club :)

Sadly, you the device does not keep track for you of the playback time on each outputs. You will have to manage that yourself.

Yep, get firmware 2.01.00, this one is unanimously positive while the previous one, 2.00.05 was not. Details here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...-nw-nwz-zx-series/nw-zx507/downloads/00016769

I checked briefly for difference between US and Asian site and didn't see anything obvious. Looks the same.

For high end cans, just be aware of this device limitations, it's not very powerful so many high end cans are power hungry and it's not the ZX507 forte. It can barely drive my 150ohms HD58X. It takes the 4.4mm, high gain at 100/120 volume for comfortable listening level. I will soon be testing with Aeon Flow RT.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #4,069 of 8,642
It’s not really any of your guys fault. It’s the ambiguous design of Android. Red isn’t a good color coding choice, Google should have designated a more obvious green colored battery icon for battery saver mode.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #4,071 of 8,642
I don't think this statement is true since sony used dual AKM AK4497EQ in their Top Tier DMP-Z1.

Completely different products, I'm only talking in context of dap's. Other manufactures use big name dac chips in their dap just to show of their spec sheets, (and because they don't have the money to pour into RND like Sony), but their implementation suffers when used in such constrained circuit design. The DMP-Z1 can take full advantage of the AK4497EQ, while the AK SP1000M can not, the two are not comparable. In the context of small form factor Sony purpose built S-Master HX, and I'll stand by that it is unrivaled for pure organic sound out of a dap.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #4,072 of 8,642
People tend to pay too much attention to the latest DAC chip and forget about the implementation and the importance of a quality analog output stage.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #4,073 of 8,642
If we consider things not just in terms of DAPs only, We want the best sound, and excuses of form factor must be eliminated. AKM may not be the best if we assume S-Master on a larger board would not sound better than S-Master on a smaller board. AKM on a small board isn't good. AKM on a large board is good. Pointless for non-DIYers who don't know where to start.

Audio in terms of the 'layman' or Audio in terms of engineering, or endless discussions of audio terminology, yet I understand nothing at all from that. What is the audiophile-created story and what is the real correlation between graph data to actual sound, who is most qualified to see through the complex web of claims and posts? Mr Ayataka Nishio may know, but he keeps quiet. He said 'speakers to feel like you're in a live performance, headphones for hearing details' - others say speakers are real audio, headphones are for portability but not real audio.

Sony Music Studios Tokyo has incredible recording equipment, including SBM Direct K-1327, and other DSD K-series recorders, also see ADA-7000R here: https://web.archive.org/web/20131010055400/http://www.sonymusicstudio.jp/equip/ADA-7000R.html as well as DAC-2000 to play back PCM. For my CD listening enjoyment, DAC-2000's PCM gets recorded (as analog) by ADA-7000R as DSD64, and then downsampled to CD via hardware SBM Direct K-1327, to create a DSD-filtered PCM file which sounds AMAZINGLY nice to some people - the shrill harsh sound of cicadas becomes more natural but not so unnatural like DSD64. The white noise becomes pleasurable. CD2DSD2CD via software doesn't get the same result as this analog+hardware procedure. And using PCM-D100 to record from my best DAC doesn't change sound much. SBM-D via Sonoma software isn't the same as SBM Direct K-1327 which is the best. Sound engineers live in a different world from the average walkman user. Yet we want the average walkman user to experience exactly what engineers hear!

Sony's S-Master HX is somewhat cool and arguably the best for the price considered in the context of Sony Pro Audio and its long history of greatness. I have never heard S-Master other than through the IC Recorder SX2000 and a very old DVD AV Amp (used solely for CD). I also have PCM-D100 for its DSD64 recording which I then downconvert to CD via Sony SBM Direct (the opposite of Sony DSD Direct) in Sonoma (windows Xp). For me, I like upsampling to DSD256, 700kHz PCM, and DSEE HX 192kHz, where DSEE HX helps 96kbps mp3s, 700kHz PCM sounds like DSD audio, and DSD256 suits some DACs which are more optimised for it. But the best is definitely Redbook DSD CDs enhanced through SBM Direct played back through speakers. That is never going to be beaten. SBM Direct CD is often compared with non-SBM Direct CDs, and you hear no difference. Spectrum analysis shows nothing major (same as DSEE HX and Vinyl processor), but the files are definitely different and if you target harsh PCM sounds (cicadas etc) and experiment, you'll hear the difference over speakers. SBM Direct from 1998 rules! 24/44.1 PCM files released by Sony Music even today use SBM Direct, as it brings us the best from the DSD Master. Unlike DSD, which somehow changes bass, texture, instrument positioning, and could be described by lay-persons as more natural and realistic. Sony, thanks to Sony Music, controls a lot of what we hear. DSD Masters and SBM Direct are a part of what we hear yet we do not know about it.

Naturally, each CD, each DAC, each headphone or speaker, is what the designer thinks is best to them and others. In this thread S-Master is described as a 'chameleon'. I say SBM Direct is the same. We have come close to the best sound possible, using imagination based on theories and engineering.

ADA-7000R is clear and fast. It is unmatched and there's 3 on Earth. Sony knows its stuff. Why is Sony WH-1000X-M3 so popular? Why does VAIO CXD9872 sound so good? It's indeed the only all-in-one codec chip with a 1 bit processor for DSD, though nowadays it's true that 1 bit doesn't deliver the best DSD.

Taken overall, playback systems are not that complex. Just get any DAC, well-mastered recordings, adequate volume, and headphone or speakers is a very big part of the sound. A100 walkmans may still hiss with certain IEMs. It's inevitable for playback to never be perfect.

Who is the most qualified to provide the final advice about what setup is the best? Mr Ayataka Nishio is. He said, 'I don't know.' He isn't a full on DSD supporter, despite creating it. It was only as a part of his early job. Now? Primeseat DSD streaming since 2016.

It is hard to argue that the studio sound is best, for it is not focused on enjoyment or affordability.. Nor is a live concert with all its problems. Ayataka-san combines the two in Primeseat DSD, aimed at people with good setups who wish to attend a live concert in their homes.

With MDR-M1ST one can experience 'studio sound', with a KORG, TEAC, or SONY DAC optimised for DSD one can experience scaled-down 'studio equipment' and via the Internet, untouched original sound comes flowing into the home.

Folks, this is the future until we can attend concerts.

This series of postings are for KORG, TEAC, or SONY fans who enjoy DSD, as well as people who've been to Saidera Mastering or IIJ's webpages.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #4,074 of 8,642
Check our the Sony STR-DA9000ES for one of the best S-Master amplifier of all time.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #4,075 of 8,642
Has anyone received the case by Benks? I'm guessing the answer is "no," but can the microSD tray be accessed with the case on?

s-l1600.jpg

i ordered one of these a couple weeks ago but it's still on a boat to USA from China.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #4,076 of 8,642
STR-DA9000ES and its SACD counterpart. Clearly the kind you find in the homes of 'rich people who get expensive gear in a custom-listening or living room but don't actually get time to listen to music'. Compare to me, who has grown up with tape, MD, and CD, and with 1TB of digital hires, whose DAC is Realtek, Cirrus (Apple/Tempotec dongle), or VAIO Sigmatel...and plenty of time to listen to terrible DACs.

Interesting how walkmanuser's writings really go deep for Core Sony Fans, while I hope VAIO DSD users of 2005-11, Sony engineers, and people who want the best for the least effort find their shortcut in the DSD Universe. Whether it be software upsampling in myriad ways, plain good old SBM-D/DSD processed CD, or Primeseat livestreaming. Of course, FM Radio and Vinyl is good too.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #4,077 of 8,642
STR-DA9000ES and its SACD counterpart. Clearly the kind you find in the homes of 'rich people who get expensive gear in a custom-listening or living room but don't actually get time to listen to music'. Compare to me, who has grown up with tape, MD, and CD, and with 1TB of digital hires, whose DAC is Realtek, Cirrus (Apple/Tempotec dongle), or VAIO Sigmatel...and plenty of time to listen to terrible DACs.

Interesting how walkmanuser's writings really go deep for Core Sony Fans, while I hope VAIO DSD users of 2005-11, Sony engineers, and people who want the best for the least effort find their shortcut in the DSD Universe. Whether it be software upsampling in myriad ways, plain good old SBM-D/DSD processed CD, or Primeseat livestreaming. Of course, FM Radio and Vinyl is good too.
Not if you buy a used one for $1200 or so. Sadly, it made firework three or four years back and no one can repair it. It is a quite a beautiful piece and sound super nice too. I used it with my Paradigm Ref speakers back in the day.

Jul 11, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #4,078 of 8,642
I had my device plugged in over night for burn-in with Apple earbuds plugged in (to a iPhone USB adapter), for ~17 straight hours.
It is not recommended to leave any device with lithium battery plugged in for long time. And when you are using plugged device usually battery goes quite hot. As for zx500 battery is not strong side of it. When you are using streaming services it's discharging very fast.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #4,079 of 8,642
There's a lot more that happens in a Digital audio player that affects the final sound quality and all these are adjustable/managed by the hardware and software design engineers:

File buffering and cache management / Latency control / Data streaming
/ Decoding by the software music player and operating system

DSP / Upsampling algorthims

Digital volume control precision (16bit / 24bit / 32bit / 48bit / 64 bit )

Electrical, Magnetic and Radio noise management and shielding

Power supply current and noise management

Master Clock Oscillator design

Various types of Digital to analog conversion process:
1 bit Delta Sigma Noise shaping
Multi-Bit Delta Sigma Noise shaping
R2R ladder

Digital or Analog low pass filtering/reconstruction design

Analog output amplifer circuitry and analog volume pot design(if any). Balanced output topology and grounding

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,080 of 8,642
Maybe you could mount an smb share, skipping the whole 'dlna' thing? Which is good I guess, since dlna could mean unwanted transcodings.
I found this on mounting smb shares: https://9to5google.com/2017/07/06/g...pp-for-mounting-smb-file-shares-in-files-app/

I tried that and mounted my music smb share from my NAS. Unfortunately, the Sony Music app doesn't see the share, even though it is shown in the Files app.

Oh well, but thanks for the idea!

Still looking for a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back