SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,037 of 8,639
If I remember correctly, ZX507 always restarted when plugged in since day one.
Hmm, o.k., that is useful bit of info (I haven't owned a Sony device in ages), thank you.

I'm just confused why, fresh after unboxing and NOT turned on, it didn't boot-up when I plugged it in for initial charge. I am perplexed. I'm gonna try to re-flash from Japanese 2.01 to International 2.01 after dinner. I'm a Mac user, so hopefully it's no drama copying the international .upg to the 507's root storage.

My plan all along was to roll with the Japanese firmware until the next update, and ultimately flash to international.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #4,039 of 8,639
^ Likely the device wanted the initial startup setup done before it began normal operation.
That makes sense....well, as much sense as anything else, hahaha. It's just odd to me that the device cannot be charged without it being "on." I've largely been a willing prisoner in Apple's wall garden and I'm used to being able to charge i-devices while they are powered-down. Oh well, if that's what comes with owning this, so be it. It's ultimately going to be 1) sound quality; 2) usability; and 3) durability that makes or breaks a DAP for me.

Predictably, I was not able to "side-grade" from Japanese 2.01 to international 2.01. I am a Mac user, so I am relegated to using Android File Transfer (which I am used to from my 5.5+ years of owning an A&K DAP). I copied the international .upg to the root folder of the 507, but when I tried to update, it just told me on the most current firmware. Guess I'll just have to wait until the next update to try manually switching to the international firmware (if I even think that matters when the time comes).

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #4,040 of 8,639
That makes sense....well, as much sense as anything else, hahaha. It's just odd to me that the device cannot be charged without it being "on." I've largely been a willing prisoner in Apple's wall garden and I'm used to being able to charge i-devices while they are powered-down. Oh well, if that's what comes with owning this, so be it. It's ultimately going to be 1) sound quality; 2) usability; and 3) durability that makes or breaks a DAP for me.

Predictably, I was not able to "side-grade" from Japanese 2.01 to international 2.01. I am a Mac user, so I am relegated to using Android File Transfer (which I am used to from my 5.5+ years of owning an A&K DAP). I copied the international .upg to the root folder of the 507, but when I tried to update, it just told me on the most current firmware. Guess I'll just have to wait until the next update to try manually switching to the international firmware (if I even think that matters when the time comes).

I'm also in the Apple wall garden for god knows how many years and iPhones/iPads with newer iOS also cannot be charged without it being "on".

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #4,041 of 8,639
^^^welp, guess that indicates I am severely due for device upgrades all around, hahaha, because I can charge all of mine while powered down, but yeah, they are old devices. (likewise I can charge my old A&K DAP while "off" as well) My ability to adapt was clearly not on full display today.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4,042 of 8,639
Hmm, o.k., that is useful bit of info (I haven't owned a Sony device in ages), thank you.

I'm just confused why, fresh after unboxing and NOT turned on, it didn't boot-up when I plugged it in for initial charge. I am perplexed. I'm gonna try to re-flash from Japanese 2.01 to International 2.01 after dinner. I'm a Mac user, so hopefully it's no drama copying the international .upg to the 507's root storage.

My plan all along was to roll with the Japanese firmware until the next update, and ultimately flash to international.
Its always powered up when you plug in.

When new it might not have powered on if totally flat until some power back in battery. No point in going through a startup if you unplug mid way before any juice back in battery.

Could also be so that it powers on (from off) if plugged in via USB in a car without having to press power button.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #4,044 of 8,639
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,046 of 8,639
yohooooo
you can congratulate me!
today I've finally received my zx507 for JP.
fast shipment and delivery. shipped in few hours after payment on 1/07. delivered on 10/07. $720 + $190 in taxes/duties.
it's so amazing!
what is the minimal recommended time of burning in? I mean not 200h, but time after which u can feel significant boost in SQ.
by the way where can I see playback time?
how does firmware updates?
I saw that it checked for updates today., (last android 9.////) is it the same firmware as sony? or besides android there is smth else?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,047 of 8,639
^ Needs at least 100 to sound good, but definitely 200+ (on each output) until your hearing pure magic. The android update is Sony's own update so just update it like your phone through the settings menu > update. Do try the 4.4mm. The 3.5mm sounds brilliant, honestly it's on par with the AK SP1000M I sold, but the 4.4mm is untouchable, this output is why I don't need any other dap.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #4,048 of 8,639
^ Needs at least 100 to sound good, but definitely 200+ (on each output) until your hearing pure magic. The android update is Sony's own update so just update it like your phone through the settings menu > update. Do try the 4.4mm. The 3.5mm sounds brilliant, honestly it's on par with the AK SP1000M I sold, but the 4.4mm is untouchable, this output is why I don't need any other dap.
I am so happy)))
thanks! however, where can I see total playback time on each output?
I found firmware is 2.00. it says 2.01 is available. shall I update? how better is it?
Tomorrow I am planning to go to the audioshow and to test highend headphones with this little masterpiece. (hd820, hd660s, audese...if they did not sell them all)))
this DAP is so pleasant in the hand.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #4,049 of 8,639
can u give me some more advises how to improve player's preferences, battery life and how to enhance overall experience?
by the way, is it possible to automatically accept 4-digit pin code when unlocking the screen, it's quit unusual to type additional "enter" every time after entering pin code.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4,050 of 8,639
Please, give me complete guide to DC Phaze Linearizer
what sound effects do this setting do. describe, please!
Type A LOW
Type A Standard
Type A HIGH
Type B Standard
Type B LOW
Type B HIGH
by the way, I feel very powerful EQ here in comparison to wm1A.
and zx500 brings some very nice sub-bass to my mdr 1Am2! I did not expect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back