SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 10, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,051 of 8,639
That makes sense....well, as much sense as anything else, hahaha. It's just odd to me that the device cannot be charged without it being "on." I've largely been a willing prisoner in Apple's wall garden and I'm used to being able to charge i-devices while they are powered-down. Oh well, if that's what comes with owning this, so be it. It's ultimately going to be 1) sound quality; 2) usability; and 3) durability that makes or breaks a DAP for me.

Predictably, I was not able to "side-grade" from Japanese 2.01 to international 2.01. I am a Mac user, so I am relegated to using Android File Transfer (which I am used to from my 5.5+ years of owning an A&K DAP). I copied the international .upg to the root folder of the 507, but when I tried to update, it just told me on the most current firmware. Guess I'll just have to wait until the next update to try manually switching to the international firmware (if I even think that matters when the time comes).
what is the difference between 2.00 and 2.01?
shall I update?
what is the difference between 2.01 int in japanes?how can I know what FW I have?

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #4,052 of 8,639
Hi all,

I am looking forward buying an EU unit of the zx507 despite the volume cap (I have campfire solaris with 10ohms, I suppose it would be ok even with the limit).

My question is, do we have a feedback of anyone who updated their zx507 EU to the latest firmware (2.01) ? If yes, is volume cap gone ?

Thank you

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #4,053 of 8,639
Hi all,

I am looking forward buying an EU unit of the zx507 despite the volume cap (I have campfire solaris with 10ohms, I suppose it would be ok even with the limit).

My question is, do we have a feedback of anyone who updated their zx507 EU to the latest firmware (2.01) ? If yes, is volume cap gone ?

Thank you
check this one last zx507 on ebay from Japan. I bough black model from this seller. very fast free shipping. ordered 01/07. today I got it. no volume cap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-NW-ZX...sV2&brand=Sony&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #4,055 of 8,639
Thank you, unfortunately it does not ship to France :/
contact the seller! he ships worldwide with FedEx. same issue was with black model, which I ordered. all Europe was excluded. 10$ shipping cost)
then he lifted restrictions. (1st times he failed, despite Europe disappeared from exclusions; but 2nd time everything was ok.) free shipping.
just contact him.
hi sold more 1 more black and a few silver models since July
hurry up,
just contact him! he will solve the issue with shipping restrictions

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #4,056 of 8,639
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #4,058 of 8,639
Uh oh, this can't be good.

I had my device plugged in over night for burn-in with Apple earbuds plugged in (to a iPhone USB adapter), for ~17 straight hours. This afternoon, I then proceeded to transfer music to both the internal storage and a 128GB Samsung microSD (formatted in the player). After doing so, I unplugged it and started to use it for listening for a while.

I then noticed the battery status bar icon was outlined in red with a red "+" sign in the middle of the icon as well. I searched and found this was related to thermals; heat causing the device to stop further charging. https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx500/v1/en/contents/TP0002433013.html

My icon looks different than this --->
c_android_temp.png
<---- from the link above

Anyway, I then turned off my device for 2.5 hours. I just turned it back on and the battery status icon is still outlined in red with the red + sign. Yikes. ****The device is NOT hot to the touch (obviously, after sitting turned off for 2.5 hours).

What's interesting is that now when I plug my 507 into the charger, the battery icon switches to normal. The moment I unplug, back to red outline & red +sign.

****Anyone think a full reset would do any good?

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #4,059 of 8,639
Did you leave your screen turned on all the time during the burn-in? The Walkman will heat up quite a lot if you leave the screen on while charging, which overtime could trigger the thermal protection and stops charging.

Normally the Walkman will only go up to 40-44 degree C during charging with the screen turned off.

red plus icon means the battery is below 20%. It is not a thermal warning. Have you enable battery percentage like I mentioned before?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #4,060 of 8,639
Did you leave your screen turned on all the time during the burn-in? The Walkman will heat up quite a lot if you leave the screen on.

Normally the player will only go up to 40-44 degree C during charging with the screen turned off.

red plus icon means the battery is below 20%. It is not a thermal warning. Have you enable battery percentage like I mentioned before?
1. No, I did not leave the screen on the whole time. It is set to for screen to turn off after 1 minute
2. I do have battery % on, and as of right now it shows as 91%.

I am not used to Android...can I take a screenshot with the ZX507?

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #4,063 of 8,639
I seem to be having a bad week; my brain is fried or something... I just realized I can transfer screenshot using Android File Transfer on my Mac:

Here is the device unplugged (note the battery status icon):
Screenshot_20200710-191346.png

Here is the device plugged into the USB port of my Mac:
Screenshot_20200710-191522.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back