Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #11,806 of 12,862
Thank you @MrWalkman, this FW is far beyond my expectations. I have been listening to this FW for a couple of days now and I cant hide my excitement.

The sounstage is soo much better now. Before there always was a specific boundary to the sound, i am not talking about the placement of instruments, it felt like there is a box on my head and even echoes did not come from further than that box, and with DMP FW it is almost completely gone. Image of each instrument is also more 3d. It is amazing what you have done with this FW, its like I have a much higher end dap now. And everything has more scale to it.

Oh and treble.. Treble always sounded a bit metallic on the ZX and I thought it was by far the biggest weakness of ZX300 but now it is very organic, less harsh but more extended. The bass was the strongest part of this walkman and now it is even better, much more organic and punchy, maybe a tad less tight but nevertheless it is a big improvement over other firmwares.

Anyway, I am so excited by how the DAP sounds now, it makes me want to describe every bit of it but I guess everyone already knows how remarkable it is so there is no point. One thing is clear that everybody should try it, it is just a step above of the stock or any other FWs.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #11,807 of 12,862
Hi @MrWalkman,

I have changed my region code to a non-European code to get rid of the high gain limitation. I chose the region more or less arbitrarily. However, I read there's slight changes in sound stage between regions ?

How does this relate to your FW update and how does the one affect the other and what would you recommend for optimal results ?

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #11,808 of 12,862
Hi @MrWalkman,

I have changed my region code to a non-European code to get rid of the high gain limitation. I chose the region more or less arbitrarily. However, I read there's slight changes in sound stage between regions ?

How does this relate to your FW update and how does the one affect the other and what would you recommend for optimal results ?

Unfortunately I didn't try regions, so I don't know what differences each one of them are bringing. You'll have to experiment yourself. I'm just using J.

Also, there's nothing changed regarding regions with this custom firmware.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #11,809 of 12,862
Probably there's someone else that can share experiences or recommendations with regions before I start to experiment myself, doubting it's even worth it... ? :thinking:

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #11,810 of 12,862
doubting it's even worth it

Well, there are people who are noticing differences between different microSD cards. Differences between regions should be more noticeable.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #11,811 of 12,862
J region is the best of overall with good bass extension and excelent

Mx3 has a little less rumble but vocals and mids are noticeable and worth mention

CH has way better treble extension of em all

i stay on j for the most time

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #11,812 of 12,862
Thank you @MrWalkman, this FW is far beyond my expectations. I have been listening to this FW for a couple of days now and I cant hide my excitement.

The sounstage is soo much better now. Before there always was a specific boundary to the sound, i am not talking about the placement of instruments, it felt like there is a box on my head and even echoes did not come from further than that box, and with DMP FW it is almost completely gone. Image of each instrument is also more 3d. It is amazing what you have done with this FW, its like I have a much higher end dap now. And everything has more scale to it.

Oh and treble.. Treble always sounded a bit metallic on the ZX and I thought it was by far the biggest weakness of ZX300 but now it is very organic, less harsh but more extended. The bass was the strongest part of this walkman and now it is even better, much more organic and punchy, maybe a tad less tight but nevertheless it is a big improvement over other firmwares.

Anyway, I am so excited by how the DAP sounds now, it makes me want to describe every bit of it but I guess everyone already knows how remarkable it is so there is no point. One thing is clear that everybody should try it, it is just a step above of the stock or any other FWs.

Same here. I've been using the custom firmware since the first one came out and only recently, for the DMP-300, I've noticed how the reverb and sound expansion really extends longer than it used to. The songs I've been listening to felt like more detailed and have more lingering feeling on some instruments. It's like I have a new DAP on my hand. Just wow! Kudos, @MrWalkman! Another successful firmware mod and the best one so far, IMO. Thank you!

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #11,813 of 12,862
Same here. I've been using the custom firmware since the first one came out and only recently, for the DMP-300, I've noticed how the reverb and sound expansion really extends longer than it used to. The songs I've been listening to felt like more detailed and have more lingering feeling on some instruments. It's like I have a new DAP on my hand. Just wow! Kudos, @MrWalkman! Another successful firmware mod and the best one so far, IMO. Thank you!
There’s more to come

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #11,815 of 12,862
Been using the new FW for the last few days. I've owned the ZX300 for almost 2 years now,so i am very familiar with the stock sound.
I can definately appreciate the increase in sound stage with this Mod BUT I feel it's a bit too much soundstage. Too much as in,the left and right channels seem to be disconnected from each other. This changes the sound so much from the stock sound that it feels like a totally different player.
I'm still trying to decide if I like this new sound or not as it changes something my mind has gotten used to for 2 years. Just sharing my opinion.

And again,huge thank you to @MrWalkman for the effort.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #11,816 of 12,862
Been using the new FW for the last few days. I've owned the ZX300 for almost 2 years now,so i am very familiar with the stock sound.
I can definately appreciate the increase in sound stage with this Mod BUT I feel it's a bit too much soundstage. Too much as in,the left and right channels seem to be disconnected from each other. This changes the sound so much from the stock sound that it feels like a totally different player.
I'm still trying to decide if I like this new sound or not as it changes something my mind has gotten used to for 2 years. Just sharing my opinion.

Are you talking about the DMP-300 FW mod?

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #11,817 of 12,862

Actually, I have a rather similar impression as you do. The sound stage is extremely wide, but the sound is a bit hollow.
As I have an 'OK' dac-amp, I enjoy the richness with the amp than with the ZX300 with mod.

But, have you tried the FW mod without applying ext-tuning? I find it more enjoyable with my gears.

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #11,818 of 12,862
Actually, I have a rather similar impression as you do. The sound stage is extremely wide, but the sound is a bit hollow.
As I have an 'OK' dac-amp, I enjoy the richness with the amp than with the ZX300 with mod.

But, have you tried the FW mod without applying ext-tuning? I find it more enjoyable with my gears.

There will be a new version, with a more full, and balanced sound signature. Soundstage won't be as wide, but it will still be wide enough, and also tall.

Stay tuned.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #11,820 of 12,862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back