Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #11,446 of 12,862
By the way, @MrWalkman, do the sound modifications also apply when the DAP is set to Direct Sound mode only? Or do we need to turn on the sound filters and features? I'm asking since I've been using this DAP mostly with Direct Sound turned on, without EQ changes and filters turned on.
That is exactly what i wanted to ask!! Thank you

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #11,447 of 12,862
By the way, @MrWalkman, do the sound modifications also apply when the DAP is set to Direct Sound mode only? Or do we need to turn on the sound filters and features? I'm asking since I've been using this DAP mostly with Direct Sound turned on, without EQ changes and filters turned on.
That is exactly what i wanted to ask!! Thank you

It applies in general to the whole sound, not just to Direct Source.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #11,449 of 12,862
Does that mean the Direct Sound mode have improvements already from your mod, which will again be changed (enhanced?) if we turn on the sound filters and other sound-altering features of the ZX300?

It means that both Direct Source on or off will benefit from the improvements, and sound effects add on that.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #11,450 of 12,862
It means that both Direct Source on or off will benefit from the improvements, and sound effects add on that.

That's great news then. I really do feel like the mod changed for the better. Metal music didn't sound this good before. I'm using my Penon Orb which is somewhat on the smooth side when it comes to treble. I'm hearing better airiness now as well as an improved instrument separation which I just mentioned a little while ago. How in the world did those things change just from a firmware mod? I know there could be no or just subtle changes on firmware upgrades, but this one's different. Again, you have my thanks, @MrWalkman.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #11,451 of 12,862
That's great news then. I really do feel like the mod changed for the better. Metal music didn't sound this good before. I'm using my Penon Orb which is somewhat on the smooth side when it comes to treble. I'm hearing better airiness now as well as an improved instrument separation which I just mentioned a little while ago. How in the world did those things change just from a firmware mod? I know there could be no or just subtle changes on firmware upgrades, but this one's different. Again, you have my thanks, @MrWalkman.

Whatever was there before, were just tuning mods, while the firmware was exactly the stock one. In this case, the firmware is actually modified.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #11,452 of 12,862
If I was a Windows user, I'd be clamoring for @MrWalkman to show us ZX-507 users some love too!! hahaha

I have enjoyed reading the WM1Z/A thread the last few days.

It would be nice if at least regions could be changed. I hope I'll have an Android device one day, but even then, it's not guaranteed that it will work.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #11,453 of 12,862
If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link, where possible. Thanks!

Hello,

Some of you probably heard about the new modded firmware for the NW-WM1 Series (link). The same
mod was also done for the ZX300/A, though it's based on the sound of the ZX300/A, so it will not sound
exactly the same as the mod for the NW-WM1 Series.

I'll call it simply...

ZX300+

Features:
- improvements to the sound (it also depends on your preferences, of course)
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

How to: Just install the firmware, like any other official firmware version.

- How do I return back to the stock firmware, if I want to?
If you'd like to return back to stock, just install any stock firmware version (for example 2.01, 2.02, etc.).

- Do I need to have 2.02 preinstalled, or any other version?
No, you do not. Just go ahead and install this one.

The firmware works on both ZX300 and ZX300A, and it's based on the 2.02 version.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! I plan on doing the same mod to the 2.01 version as well.

LINK

Enjoy!

Thank you for developing this.
The sound has increased by 3d overall and is loaded with power.

Attachments

• 20200728_105701.jpg
    20200728_105701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200728_105715.jpg
    20200728_105715.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #11,454 of 12,862
Hello guys. How about this kind firmware modifications for NW-A55?

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #11,458 of 12,862
Fiios and Chifi all seem to have reliability issues and UI glitches. Is the ZX300 still a good buy if I want a solid player with a good UI with some power? I see it came out at least 3 years ago now.

My ZX300 is almost 2 years with me and I can say that it is still worth getting. Even though there is a later model on the ZX line (ZX500), the ZX300 still edges it on battery life and stability. Specially now that a new modded firmware is available (thanks to @MrWalkman), it brings new excitement in listening coming from the stock firmware. The UI also got improved with the modded firmware installed, of course not that it is bad on stock form, it was pretty stable already. In terms of power or driving ability of this DAP, I wouldn't recommend the SE port for gears that are quite hard to drive. Use the 4.4mm balanced port instead.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #11,459 of 12,862
My ZX300 is almost 2 years with me and I can say that it is still worth getting. Even thought there is a later model on the ZX line (ZX500), the ZX300 still edges it on battery life and stability. Specially now that a new modded firmware is available (thanks to @MrWalkman), it brings new excitement in listening coming from the stock firmware. The UI also got improved with the modded firmware installed, of course not that it is bad on stock form, it was pretty stable already. In terms of power or driving ability of this DAP, I wouldn't recommend the SE port for gears that are quite hard to drive. Use the 4.4mm balanced port instead.
What changes in UI are you noticing?

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #11,460 of 12,862
What changes in UI are you noticing?

I haven't seen any changes graphically apart from the new boot logo. What I noticed was the speed of navigation. It is a bit faster now. Not that the stock was slow. You'll just notice that menus pop up faster than before. Not drastically though, just a little bit faster than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back