Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #11,462 of 12,862
Is the 300's UI closer to the 35, 45, or 55 in terms of response?

Should be closer to A35 and A45, as they use the same version of the OS.

The A55 uses a newer version.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,464 of 12,862
@MrWalkman Is it possible to let ZX300 install the WM1 firmware or have one mod like WM1 series stock sounds? I feel this one (ZX300+) the trend of sound still close the original ZX300.:o2smile:

One day, patience is a virtue :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #11,465 of 12,862
@MrWalkman was kind enough to let me try out his custom ZX300 firmware.

I have had time to play around with the firmware. Love it.
Soundstage is quite wide and coherent. Micro details really come through, stock sounds distant and boxed in comparison.
Bass is well defined and fuller, mids sound better too. Less artificial, closer, but not in any unnatural way.
I'd say it's a clear step up from stock or any other firmware I have tried with the ZX300, and I have tried quite a few.

Disclaimer:
My ZX300 is heavily modded, I would say as it is, with this firmware it exceeds a Stock 1A in resolution, coherency, and treble smoothness (Treble shimmers quite a bit :) amazing resolution). The 1A obviously has more power and a deeper stage.
Can't wait to try out whatever else @MrWalkman has cooking.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #11,466 of 12,862
My ZX300 is heavily modded, I would say as it is, with this firmware it exceeds a Stock 1A in resolution, coherency, and treble smoothness (Treble shimmers quite a bit :) amazing resolution). The 1A obviously has more power and a deeper stage.

Interesting. Your ZX300 has hardware modifications too, aside from the custom firmware?

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #11,469 of 12,862
Just installed the firmware - WOW - when you switch on the DSEE HX AI - the ZX really pops! It's improved volume boost, stage & micro details - just incredible...way better than stock! Many thanks @MrWalkman :)

Thanks as well, and hopefully more to come! :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #11,472 of 12,862
Did you mod it yourself....or send it out to an engineer?...if so how much does this modification cost approximately? Cheers! :)
I modded it myself. Total cost was about 15 dollars, provided you already have a soldering iron on hand.
switched stock capacitors for Audio Note Standard caps, 100uf 16 volt. (4 TOTAL)
All internal wires to Solid OCC Copper 20 gauge.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #11,473 of 12,862
I modded it myself. Total cost was about 15 dollars, provided you already have a soldering iron on hand.
switched stock capacitors for Audio Note Standard caps, 100uf 16 volt. (4 TOTAL)
All internal wires to Solid OCC Copper 20 gauge.
Thanks!....I modded a Zishan Z2 a few years ago - is there access to the internal wires...and is it easy to remove the stock capacitors??
At £30 the Z2 was a much less stressful mod!....Any video tutorial links regarding opening up the ZX?

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #11,474 of 12,862
Just installed the firmware - WOW - when you switch on the DSEE HX AI - the ZX really pops! It's improved volume boost, stage & micro details - just incredible...way better than stock! Many thanks @MrWalkman :)
After I installed the @MrWalkman fw, I checked the settings and found that DSEE HX AI was already selected and I did not have to turn it on or select it. Just want to confirm if this was the case with you too.

Also I took a look at wm1 modded fw page and I saw that one had to do reset/format device so in the case of zx300, it's just install and straight away use, right ?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,475 of 12,862
Also I took a look at wm1 modded fw page and I saw that one had to do reset/format

I recommend you read more about that on the WM1 thread. It wasn't really related to the firmware. It's also not mentioned in the indications, neither here or on the WM1 mod post's indications.

I checked the settings and found that DSEE HX AI was already selected and I did not have to turn it on or select it

If you don't turn on the DSEE HX effect, then DSEE HX AI will not apply. DSEE HX AI replaced the Standard option that was there before. So if you wouldn't have DSEE HX AI, you will just see Standard already selected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back