Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #11,491 of 12,862
I agree: volume boost, clarity, stage & micro details are all totally superlative!
Have you tried A/B'ng the ZX running 300A+.......vs the full WM1A/Z firmware?
Once the latter has been optimised further....it will be awesome to have the choice to install either fw - in order to change the players' signature! :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #11,492 of 12,862
If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link, where possible. Thanks!

Hello,

Some of you probably heard about the new modded firmware for the NW-WM1 Series (link). The same
mod was also done for the ZX300/A, though it's based on the sound of the ZX300/A, so it will not sound
exactly the same as the mod for the NW-WM1 Series.

I'll call it simply...

ZX300/A+

Mr. Walkman...any chance you can post a version for a Mac install? Not sure how easy or hard that would be.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #11,493 of 12,862
Mr. Walkman...any chance you can post a version for a Mac install? Not sure how easy or hard that would be.

Thanks.

Jeff
I've been working with MrWalkman on creating macOS versions of all of this installers and have run into an issue that I'm trying to get around.

Even if I can solve this, the installer will only work on macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier as Sony hasn't updated their installer for Catalina.

If you have VMware Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox you can download and install Windows 10 from Microsoft and use it to run the installers. For the first 30 days you will have full use of all features of Windows 10. After that ~95% of the features still work and you will get nag messages to buy a license that you can ignore.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #11,496 of 12,862
@MrWalkman was kind enough to let me try out his custom ZX300 firmware.

I have had time to play around with the firmware. Love it.
Soundstage is quite wide and coherent. Micro details really come through, stock sounds distant and boxed in comparison.
Bass is well defined and fuller, mids sound better too. Less artificial, closer, but not in any unnatural way.
I'd say it's a clear step up from stock or any other firmware I have tried with the ZX300, and I have tried quite a few.

Disclaimer:
My ZX300 is heavily modded, I would say as it is, with this firmware it exceeds a Stock 1A in resolution, coherency, and treble smoothness (Treble shimmers quite a bit :) amazing resolution). The 1A obviously has more power and a deeper stage.
Can't wait to try out whatever else @MrWalkman has cooking.

Am guessing you made some photos of doing the ZX300. Please can you show pics of how to open the ZX300, if have any.

With it having no visible screws on, it's a worry to start peeling stuff back.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #11,497 of 12,862
Wow. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a dap as much as the used ZX300a I traded for. I'd love to find something similar that could do Tidal, but the price increase is ZX507 is pretty intense... What have you fans of the ZX300a found to be an enjoyable dap experience that can do tidal, but under $400?

If $400 is your limit, you should probably look over the A&K SR15. … However if you can stretch your budget, the A&K SR25 is the one to go for. Since its release it has knocked down the price of the SR15. The SR25 is a better DAP, does what you want, and has a 22 hour battery life. It will no doubt be scooping awards this year. (The SR15 is the previous generation, do what you want, and will best the ZX300. Only twelve hours battery though.)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #11,498 of 12,862
As someone looking for a dap in the $300-500 range I’ve been told o should consider a used zx300. I have a few questions:

Can the battery be replaced in the US? What’s the cost of that?
Can I browse by file/folder or is it only by metadata?
Is there any limit to the size of the microsd?
What’s the deal with the mod that improves sound quality?
Is the charging cable expensive for extras?
Will there be any hiss with IEMs or will it be total black? How would Etymotic Er2xr sound out of the 3.5 jack? There’s no balanced cable for them.
Any other quirks or drawbacks to be aware of?

I’m most interested in best sound quality, battery life and intuitive, smooth UI. I’ll be using this primarily with IEMs, like the etymotic er2xr it Moondrop Blessing 2.
Right now the ibasso DX160 is the top contender, and if I were to wait and save and splurge I’d get an A&K SR25 but I don’t really require streaming or bluetooth.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #11,499 of 12,862
As someone looking for a dap in the $300-500 range I’ve been told o should consider a used zx300. I have a few questions:

Can the battery be replaced in the US? What’s the cost of that?
Can I browse by file/folder or is it only by metadata?
Is there any limit to the size of the microsd?
What’s the deal with the mod that improves sound quality?
Is the charging cable expensive for extras?
Will there be any hiss with IEMs or will it be total black?
Any other quirks or drawbacks to be aware of?

I’m most interested in best sound quality, battery life and intuitive, smooth UI. I’ll be using this primarily with IEMs, like the etymotic er2xr it Moondrop Blessing 2.
Right now the ibasso DX160 is the top contender, and if I were to wait and save and splurge I’d get an A&K SR25 but I don’t really require streaming or bluetooth.

Not 100% sure about battery replacement as the device is very well sealed. Would likely take a Sony repair facility
Yes, can be search by file/folder
No limit that I have found on SD. I use Sandisk 512gb cards with no issue
Not sure about the mod. Sounds AWESOME stock
$20 for an extra cable.
Total black sound with Shure SE846 - PERFECTION
No drawbacks for what it is....no WiFi / streaming is my only complaint....and that's minor

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #11,500 of 12,862
Can someone tell me the implications of buying/using an "uncapped" zx300? I'd be buying a japanese version that's been uncapped but I don't fully understand what issues that may cause, like when installing new firmware or @MrWalkman firmware.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #11,501 of 12,862
Uncapped means it’s full power - the EU ones are volume capped which means that they don’t drive (most?) headphones as well.

I uncapped mine and I’m running Mr Walkmans firmware, no issues at all

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #11,503 of 12,862
Aug 4, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #11,504 of 12,862
Can I use it with a Mac? Drag and drop files into folders?
You'll need to use Android File Transfer. I use it currently with my ZX-507 on a MBP running latest version of Catalina, and previously used it with no issues with A&K DAPs as well. Nahhhhh....I'm a moron. Move along, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #11,505 of 12,862
Does anybody know, zx300 has enough power to drive Sony IER M7? I owned zx300 half year ago and I was using sony z5 and they sounded pretty good but the best sound was with better amplification.
So now i'm considering to be again with zx300 but at the same time, as I know, IER M7 are power demanding.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back