Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 30, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #11,476 of 12,862
If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link, where possible. Thanks!

Hello,

Some of you probably heard about the new modded firmware for the NW-WM1 Series (link). The same
mod was also done for the ZX300/A, though it's based on the sound of the ZX300/A, so it will not sound
exactly the same as the mod for the NW-WM1 Series.

I'll call it simply...

ZX300/A+

Features:
- improvements to the sound (it also depends on your preferences, of course)
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

How to: Just install the firmware, like any other official firmware version.

- How do I return back to the stock firmware, if I want to?
If you'd like to return back to stock, just install any stock firmware version (for example 2.01, 2.02, etc.).

- Do I need to have 2.02 preinstalled, or any other version?
No, you do not. Just go ahead and install this one.

The firmware works on both ZX300 and ZX300A, and it's based on the 2.02 version.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! I plan on doing the same mod to the 2.01 version as well.

LINK

Enjoy!

Amazing work!
I can hear a wider sound stage,more defined instruments while maintaining the signature Sony warmth.(Direst Source:On)
UI is definitely quicker too. Scrolling in Folders (Full 400gb MicroSD card) and Thumbnail loading is much faster.

Have had the ZX300 for 2 years and I can definitely hear and see the difference.

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #11,478 of 12,862
It looks like @MrWalkman isn't done yet with his modifications on our firmwares. He probably just gave us a taste of what is yet to come. I feel it! Haha! We ought to buy him a beer, really!

Something is cooking indeed, but I need to work out some things first.

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #11,481 of 12,862
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #11,483 of 12,862
Does the new custom fw for the WM1A/Z have similar results?

Yep, the mod works in a similar way.

And, as someone was asking, yes, it's possible to run the full WM1A/Z firmware on the ZX300 (and viceversa actually, haha). This includes the WM1A/Z sound signature.

I still have some things to work out, so a little patience and it should be here soon.

@Diet Kokaine is helping me with testing some stuff, and can already give an impression, if he wishes to. :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #11,484 of 12,862

And, as someone was asking, yes, it's possible to run the full WM1A/Z firmware on the ZX300 (and viceversa actually, haha). This includes the WM1A/Z sound signature.

I still have some things to work out, so a little patience and it should be here soon.

@Diet Kokaine is helping me with testing some stuff, and can already give an impression, if he wishes to. :)
Please keep us posted...I guess once things have been sorted - we'll be able to instal either fw to make a direct comparison?...cheers!

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #11,485 of 12,862
Please keep us posted...I guess once things have been sorted - we'll be able to instal either fw to make a direct comparison?...cheers!

Yes, but there will be some more instructions besides just installing it, as the model needs to be switched to the WM1A or WM1Z first. Will share more details when we'll get there.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #11,486 of 12,862
Yes, but there will be some more instructions besides just installing it, as the model needs to be switched to the WM1A or WM1Z first. Will share more details when we'll get there.
what are you actually writing here? Is it config of the existing firmware or are you actually rewriting parts of the "OS" itself?

I'm impressed with the sound changed - but very curious as to what I'm doing to my player (and to understand how much hardware is a limitation between players). I am thinking of a new DAP at the moment but this is dragging me back to spend more time with my ZX300!

Out of curiosity how much is a beer - I'm happy to donate :wink:

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #11,487 of 12,862
what are you actually writing here? Is it config of the existing firmware or are you actually rewriting parts of the "OS" itself?

I'm impressed with the sound changed - but very curious as to what I'm doing to my player (and to understand how much hardware is a limitation between players). I am thinking of a new DAP at the moment but this is dragging me back to spend more time with my ZX300!

The player will just run the WM1A/Z firmware, it won't be a mod of the ZX300 firmware. More like the WM1A/Z firmware made to work on the ZX300 - all bugs free, latest 3.02 version. The 3.02 version is kind of equivalent of the 2.02 version anyways.

Out of curiosity how much is a beer - I'm happy to donate :wink:

No worries man, whatever you feel like donating. It's entirely optional, of course. You can even just drink a beer in my name, hehe :beerchug:

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #11,488 of 12,862
I meant in general with the new firmwares, not just this specific one - I'm, assuming you've reverse engineered a live one :)

I'm genuinely curious - I'm a hardware guy at heart and believed that Sony would be pushing their hardware to it's limit - so I'm curious how you've improved that - and then also if the software is making this differencehow much further can it go :)

Maybe we should PM if you're happy to discuss instead of clogging the forum.

FOR INFO:
The difference I could definitely hear immediately was more resolution on classical music - I have a great version of the planets (Berlin Phil off the top of my head) and it sounds amazing - but on my best kit I can make out the individual string instruments. On the ZX300 balanced with HD660s it sounds good but until this update the strings merged into one. I had always assumed that this was a lack of power as it's there with other kit. However it's there with this firmware.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #11,489 of 12,862
I meant in general with the new firmwares, not just this specific one - I'm, assuming you've reverse engineered a live one :)

I'm genuinely curious - I'm a hardware guy at heart and believed that Sony would be pushing their hardware to it's limit - so I'm curious how you've improved that

Even though I perfectly understand the curiosity, as curiosity brought me to this stage, I would prefer not getting into this kind of details right now - about the inner workings. Maybe someday.

and then also if the software is making this difference how much further can it go

Well, you'll be able to hear that on the 1A/1Z firmware soon, if nothing goes wrong :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #11,490 of 12,862

The 300A+ Firmware is end game for the ZX300 as far as I am concerned. It is completely transformative, and just stunning.
Clarity. stage, micro details simply have to be heard.
A few things need to be fixed with screen touch control, but this is very much the one to wait for :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back