Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #10,996 of 12,862
Guys, need a little help. I just used the SonyNWDestTool to change region settings on my Japan version to USA.
Destination successfully changed to USA with uncapped volume.

But according to the guide - "You need to reset the settings on the device to get the modification applied". How am I supposed to do this? I am lost in the Japanese menu. Can someone post pictures of their walkman settings menu showing the exact path options for [Settings] – [Device Settings] ([Basic Settings]) – [Reset/Format] - Restore to Factory configuration

Please help.

Dec 23, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #10,997 of 12,862
Guys, need a little help. I just used the SonyNWDestTool to change region settings on my Japan version to USA.
Destination successfully changed to USA with uncapped volume.

But according to the guide - "You need to reset the settings on the device to get the modification applied". How am I supposed to do this? I am lost in the Japanese menu. Can someone post pictures of their walkman settings menu showing the exact path options for [Settings] – [Device Settings] ([Basic Settings]) – [Reset/Format] - Restore to Factory configuration

Please help.
Figured it Out. Thanks anyways :)

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #10,999 of 12,862
Sony WH-1000XM3 with ZX-300 over LDAC - Quality Preferred

I'd been looking forward to trying this to experience the magic of 990kbps over bluetooth, having only tried aptx before.

I wasn't impressed, mainly due to the fact that the connection kept dropping with the slightest movement of the device.
Switching to LDAC - Connection Preferred, it stabilised. Tried them for 30 mins with various genres, they're just not for me.

I still prefer the SQ and sound signature of my PXC 550s over the Sony.

Anybody have a similar experience with the connection on LDAC - Quality Preferred?

Same problem here - I generally just stick to SBC to enable the built-in EQ anyways, so doesn't bother me.

990kbps isn't magical, even if you stick the DAP next to your headphones to get the full rate. It just means that it's less degraded than SBC.

Agreed with the PXC550s - comfort and sound was superior, but unfortunately NC performance wasn't up to scratch compared to the QCs or XM3s. And considering that was the main thing I got it for, ditched the 550s for the XM3s personally.

Dec 24, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #11,000 of 12,862
Same problem here - I generally just stick to SBC to enable the built-in EQ anyways, so doesn't bother me.

I wasn't aware EQ works via bluetooth on the ZX300.

990kbps isn't magical, even if you stick the DAP next to your headphones to get the full rate. It just means that it's less degraded than SBC

You missed my emphasis on the word magic.

Either way, I was hoping to be impressed by LDAC streaming at 3 times the bitrate as SBC

Agreed with the PXC550s - comfort and sound was superior, but unfortunately NC performance wasn't up to scratch compared to the QCs or XM3s. And considering that was the main thing I got it for, ditched the 550s for the XM3s personally

Yep. The XM3s certainly have greater NCing but at the cost of that pressured feeling. In all my travels I found the PXCs with low volume music playing to be pleasant and enough to forget what's going around.

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #11,001 of 12,862
I wasn't aware EQ works via bluetooth on the ZX300.

You missed my emphasis on the word magic.

Either way, I was hoping to be impressed by LDAC streaming at 3 times the bitrate as SBC

Yep. The XM3s certainly have greater NCing but at the cost of that pressured feeling. In all my travels I found the PXCs with low volume music playing to be pleasant and enough to forget what's going around.

If you use the Sony app to set the EQ prior to connecting to the ZX300, it sticks to everything. Catch is you need to use SBC.

WRT LDAC, what exactly were you expecting? Curious to hear myself as I can't really tell a difference with the XM3s, but with the BTR3 w/ IEMs, I can hint out a difference there.

Never experienced the pressure feeling personally. Did you try the tuning function?

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #11,002 of 12,862
If you use the Sony app to set the EQ prior to connecting to the ZX300, it sticks to everything. Catch is you need to use SBC.

I'm talking about EQing any headphones via ZX300 when connected via bluetooth, while you're specifically talking about the 1000XM3?

WRT LDAC, what exactly were you expecting? Curious to hear myself as I can't really tell a difference with the XM3s, but with the BTR3 w/ IEMs, I can hint out a difference there.

Better sound with my FLAC files on the 1000XM3 as compared to the PXC550. For perspective, the B&W (can't remember whether it was PX or P7) really impressed me with their sound. But the clamping force was such, I cudnae get more than 30 mins.

Or maybe they are receiving all that data, but the onboard DAC on 1000XM3 just isn't that good.

Yep, heard very good reviews about the BTR3. What IEMs did you try them with?

Never experienced the pressure feeling personally. Did you try the tuning function?

I did. Besides, reducing the strength of the ANC for comfort defeats the purpose, of the touted XM3, by cutting out less than optimum noise.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #11,003 of 12,862
I'm talking about EQing any headphones via ZX300 when connected via bluetooth, while you're specifically talking about the 1000XM3?

Better sound with my FLAC files on the 1000XM3 as compared to the PXC550. For perspective, the B&W (can't remember whether it was PX or P7) really impressed me with their sound. But the clamping force was such, I cudnae get more than 30 mins.

Or maybe they are receiving all that data, but the onboard DAC on 1000XM3 just isn't that good.

Yep, heard very good reviews about the BTR3. What IEMs did you try them with?

I did. Besides, reducing the strength of the ANC for comfort defeats the purpose, of the touted XM3, by cutting out less than optimum noise.

In that case, no. You are correct, I was referring to the XM3's built-in EQ, thus why we ended up here.

WRT the BTR3, tried the CA Polaris and M9s on it. It's the only BT thingy (along with the MUC2BT1) that didn't hiss with the Polaris'. Onboard EQ worked with the ZX300, but settings from the ZX300's EQ did nothing.

Don't think it's a DAC/amp issue, it's just poor tuning. The older generations sounded much better IMO, with a much leaner bass and more balanced sound overall. Weird how it regressed like that. If you truly wanted to rule out data transmission issues, shove your phone right up to the headphones - that'll sort out the bandwidth issue.

No, there's a tuning function that optimises for your ear. It's different from setting the strength of the ANC.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #11,005 of 12,862
Dec 30, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #11,009 of 12,862
Right-o

Yea, I tried that and ruled out the bandwidth issue. In any case, even if that did work, it'd be silly walkin about with the ZX300 strapped to the set or a similar arrangement.

How is it different?

They do completely different things - the one you're talking about weakens the NC to suit your needs. The function I'm talking about plays some tones into your ears to collect feedback on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back