Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 30, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #11,011 of 12,862
Hello, does anyone know if you could connect ZX300's cable to a fast charger handphone adaptor instead of a running computer for charging?

Thank you for your help!
You can use it with any USB charger (I use an Apple iPad charger, which can deliver 2.4A to suitable devices), but the ZX300 doesn't seem to charge much faster than using a 1A USB source.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #11,012 of 12,862
They do completely different things - the one you're talking about weakens the NC to suit your needs. The function I'm talking about plays some tones into your ears to collect feedback on it.

Gotcha!

Just wondering, feedback or not, how it can make a difference to alleviate the pressured feeling without weakening the NC signal.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #11,013 of 12,862
You can use it with any USB charger (I use an Apple iPad charger, which can deliver 2.4A to suitable devices), but the ZX300 doesn't seem to charge much faster than using a 1A USB source.

Ah I see.. I just wanted to know if using the charger adaptor would be too much for it to bear since I don't always have a computer. Thank you so much!

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #11,014 of 12,862
Gotcha!

Just wondering, feedback or not, how it can make a difference to alleviate the pressured feeling without weakening the NC signal.

It's because the tuning process measures the atmospheric pressure in your ears, and also the distance from the drivers to your ears. Instead of thinking it's weakening, think of it as doing it better.

As for what's causing the pressure feeling, nobody knows. However, I did notice that mine actually because even more of a vacuum, but somehow less of a pressure feeling. Kinda like I was suspended in water. For me that was reassuring.

You can actually see what the pressure it's currently optimized with if you use the Sony app.

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #11,015 of 12,862
Been enjoying mine, using daily for my commute.

Good sound but representative of the way things everywhere are homogenising and regressing into an inferior mess. It's like there's more choice but somehow less substance in everything now.

Sony makes their DAP the way they do because everyone else does. They used to lead, not follow. It's an austere block that sits in your bag, that track comes on and you can't recall the name of it, oh how you wish you had your MD remote of yore with track data to quickly refer to but no you have a minimalist stick that looks like it was designed by Germans.

Deploying the balanced IEMs is a task in itself, fitting them properly is a procedure. Then dismounting them and the complex rig Sony gives you to store them takes too much time so you resort to a primitive soft cloth to wrap them in until the next time you listen.

To pause the music when you go into a store to buy cigarettes or beer you fumble for your "high tech" blutooth remote that is tethered to your bag somewhere, not simply inline with the earphone cable and easy to find. Sure you can weave the cable behind the remote with the right attachment but then u can't use the clip because it's a separate attachment. So you got this weight dislodging your carefully fitted balanced IEMs

2019 sucks. Happy new year

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #11,016 of 12,862

Good sound but representative of the way things everywhere are homogenising and regressing into an inferior mess. It's like there's more choice but somehow less substance in everything now.

Sony makes their DAP the way they do because everyone else does. They used to lead, not follow. It's an austere block that sits in your bag, that track comes on and you can't recall the name of it, oh how you wish you had your MD remote of yore with track data to quickly refer to but no you have a minimalist stick that looks like it was designed by Germans.

Deploying the balanced IEMs is a task in itself, fitting them properly is a procedure. Then dismounting them and the complex rig Sony gives you to store them takes too much time so you resort to a primitive soft cloth to wrap them in until the next time you listen.

To pause the music when you go into a store to buy cigarettes or beer you fumble for your "high tech" blutooth remote that is tethered to your bag somewhere, not simply inline with the earphone cable and easy to find. Sure you can weave the cable behind the remote with the right attachment but then u can't use the clip because it's a separate attachment. So you got this weight dislodging your carefully fitted balanced IEMs

This is too deep for me, feels like I'm falling into Reddit here.

All jokes aside, what IEM do you have?

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #11,017 of 12,862
This is too deep for me, feels like I'm falling into Reddit here.

All jokes aside, what IEM do you have?
For use while commuting and shopping wouldn't a decent pair of wireless earbuds be a sensible compromise? When travelling/commuting with my NW-ZX300 I use Sony's WI-SP600Ns, which have pretty good audio and excellent noise cancelling performance. Battery life could be better but I get 5-6 hours playing time, and standby time is great as long as you remember to turn NC off. I concluded a long time ago that looking for ultimate music quality and ease of use when both sitting quietly at home concentrating on the music and when out and about is not yet a realistic goal.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #11,018 of 12,862

Use an alternative then. Nothing easier and sounds fantastic over LDAC. Drive it from my S10 phone or Sony A105. (I modified the BTR5 to loose the clip case and add a lanyard loop instead).

Phone below shown balanced to my SE846's but also has 3.5mm SE.

20191231_124859.jpg 20191231_124250.jpg
20191231_124532.jpg

I just use my Sony A105 wired at home but BTR5 over LDAC 990kbps is superb anyway especially via balanced. The Sony BT remote I got for when I had the ZX300 is just in the cupboard now.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #11,019 of 12,862
Use an alternative then. Nothing easier and sounds fantastic over LDAC. Drive it from my S10 phone or Sony A105. (I modified the BTR5 to loose the clip case and add a lanyard loop instead).

Phone below shown balanced to my SE846's but also has 3.5mm SE.

Where did you get that lanyard attachment? Looks metallic too so it would be compatible with a magnetic holder too!

I just use my Sony A105 wired at home but BTR5 over LDAC 990kbps is superb anyway especially via balanced. The Sony BT remote I got for when I had the ZX300 is just in the cupboard now.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #11,020 of 12,862
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #11,021 of 12,862
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #11,023 of 12,862
To optimize the battery life, I've kept the Auto Power Off to 1 hour.

What's really annoying is the device creating a database on every start-up.

If Sony releases another firmware (doubtful with the launch of ZX507), I hope they disable this or atleast give the user an option to disable it in settings.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #11,024 of 12,862

If Sony releases another firmware (doubtful with the launch of ZX507), I hope they disable this or atleast give the user an option to disable it in settings.

zX507 does not update database upon startup or restart.

If you eject the sdcard and reinsert while the device is power up then it updates the database

If device is powered down while reinserting then it never updates.

You can rebuild or update database manually in settings.

The update speed is really fast for most users with smaller sdcards or sane numbers of songs.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #11,025 of 12,862

How much data do you have stored and is it on built-in memory or SD card? And how long does it take to build the database? I've commented before that it used to take several minutes but with more recent firmware versions it's much faster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back