Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #10,981 of 12,862
PhotoGrid_1576444878130.jpg
Totally agree. I also have both. But I was not talking about sound signature, but that the MSR7b need a little more power than the ZX300 offers by balanced output and therefore suffers at low frequencies and seems a bit flat.

However, the MDR-1AM2, with its 16 Ohms, do not need more, they combine perfectly with the ZX300.
To make everything more clear, perhaps I'd just summarize the different elements that make up the 2 headphones' overall performance or SQ.. BTW pls also see link at the bottom where this was quoted from..

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #10,982 of 12,862
MSR7b needs more power?

Hmmmmmm...............................................................yeah, no it's just bass anemic. That's simply the sound signature it has going for.

That being said, the MDR-1A (and somewhat the M2) has too much bass IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #10,983 of 12,862

To make everything more clear, perhaps I'd just summarize the different elements that make up the 2 headphones' overall performance or SQ.. BTW pls also see link at the bottom where this was quoted from..

My point is that, being clear that they have less bass, the MSR7b connected to the ZX300 (approx 2.5V balanced) sound a bit flatter than connected to the iFi Micro iDAC2 (approx 3.3V).

However, the MDR-1AM2 sounds exactly the same.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #10,984 of 12,862
This area is very subjective & depends on personal taste.. I had been a "basshead" over last 30 years or so (since Megabass era) and now I don't find MSR7B's bass lacking in any way.. Or maybe I've just grown to become a "true audiophile".. If that's so, I'm very glad of the transformation.. :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #10,985 of 12,862
Sony WH-1000XM3 with ZX-300 over LDAC - Quality Preferred

I'd been looking forward to trying this to experience the magic of 990kbps over bluetooth, having only tried aptx before.

I wasn't impressed, mainly due to the fact that the connection kept dropping with the slightest movement of the device.
Switching to LDAC - Connection Preferred, it stabilised. Tried them for 30 mins with various genres, they're just not for me.

I still prefer the SQ and sound signature of my PXC 550s over the Sony.

Anybody have a similar experience with the connection on LDAC - Quality Preferred?

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #10,986 of 12,862
i am about to purchase this dap, found a good as new for a good price.
Just to wrap up the streaming topic: zx300 has a bluetooth receiving feature allowing to receive audio signal from a smartphone and play stuff streamed by tidal and other services, is this right?

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #10,987 of 12,862
Just to wrap up the streaming topic: zx300 has a bluetooth receiving feature allowing to receive audio signal from a smartphone and play stuff streamed by tidal and other services, is this right?
I don't subscribe to Tidal but I have Spotify.. And it works well on my ZX300 via Bluetooth..

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #10,988 of 12,862
Absolutely!

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #10,989 of 12,862
Sony WH-1000XM3 with ZX-300 over LDAC - Quality Preferred

I'd been looking forward to trying this to experience the magic of 990kbps over bluetooth, having only tried aptx before.

I wasn't impressed, mainly due to the fact that the connection kept dropping with the slightest movement of the device.
Switching to LDAC - Connection Preferred, it stabilised. Tried them for 30 mins with various genres, they're just not for me.

I still prefer the SQ and sound signature of my PXC 550s over the Sony.

Anybody have a similar experience with the connection on LDAC - Quality Preferred?
have the SONY NW-ZX300 and have used 2 sets of wireless ‘phones without experiencing any connection issues in Quality Preferred mode. Over-ear I have Bose QC15s; these are normally wired as supplied but I have a Reytid Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the socket on the headset that normally takes the audio lead. In-ear I have Sony WI-SP600Ns. Both give good connectivity up to about 10m (haven’t tried them over greater distances. The audio quality is pretty close to what I get with wired connection on the QC15s, and of course Bluetooth also allows remote control of the player whereas the Sony wired interface doesn’t.

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #10,990 of 12,862
hello guys i have a question
i'm going to buy the sony zx300 and i must ship it to france my only option is cobra.fr
all i need to know is whether there is a more ( afforadble ) option
the price in cobra.fr is 459 euros and i found the DAP on joybuy for like 330 euros but it won't ship to france
thanks guys

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #10,991 of 12,862
hello guys i have a question
i'm going to buy the sony zx300 and i must ship it to france my only option is cobra.fr
all i need to know is whether there is a more ( afforadble ) option
the price in cobra.fr is 459 euros and i found the DAP on joybuy for like 330 euros but it won't ship to france
thanks guys
If you saw the item on Joybuy for around 330 euros check if it's the ZX300 or the ZX300A; the widely available ZX300 (which I can't see on Joybuy) has 64Gb on-board memory whereas the ZX300A (which I can't see on Joybuy and appears almost nowhere else) ) only has 16Gb - although both have SD card slots. I'm wary of Joybuy because there are a lot of comments around long delivery times, items arriving accompanied by an additional import tax bill (which is why I suspect they are very limited in terms of where they ship to) and a lack of clarity on a returns policy. They also have a lot of very favourable reviews that look (IMHO) highly dubious.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #10,993 of 12,862
If you saw the item on Joybuy for around 330 euros check if it's the ZX300 or the ZX300A; the widely available ZX300 (which I can't see on Joybuy) has 64Gb on-board memory whereas the ZX300A (which I can't see on Joybuy and appears almost nowhere else) ) only has 16Gb - although both have SD card slots. I'm wary of Joybuy because there are a lot of comments around long delivery times, items arriving accompanied by an additional import tax bill (which is why I suspect they are very limited in terms of where they ship to) and a lack of clarity on a returns policy. They also have a lot of very favourable reviews that look (IMHO) highly dubious.

Yeah man I meant the A model my bad lol
And yes the 5 stars dominated reviews are suspicious
So you don't think i have another option ! I mean i bought the sony n3ap from cobra.fr before so i have a big trust on theme for delivering high quality service I'm just looking for cheaper prices that's all

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #10,994 of 12,862
For me it's as good as I'll need for a long time. I'm sure there'll be a constant a stream of new devices, but whether they'll deliver a significantly better audio quality will depend on the type of listening you do (or your desire to always have the highest specification kit regardless of whether you can actually detect any practical difference :)

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #10,995 of 12,862
So what’s the consensus on this DAP a couple of years out if it was to be a new purchase?

This DAP is tempting, but I’m wondering if I should wait for a refresh in the product line-up or not...:beerchug:
The refresh is the zx507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back