Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 11, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #10,951 of 12,862
anybody use self-powered usb hub for charging zx300 battery?? how good it is? is it safe??
been charging zx300 through my notebook usb port till now , but lately i need more usb port to use , i am thinking about buying an usb hub for other stuff also for charging and transfer music my zx300.
reffer to help guide on sony website about charging there is a note written " Charging from a USB hub is only guaranteed when you use a self-powered USB hub that carries an authorized logo." what is an authorized logo on usb hub? i cant find it on google
im planning to get ORICO 12 Port with BC 1.2 (P12-U3) http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6397 (self powered usb with 12V/5A power adapter i think its around 12V/2.4A for each usb port) still have no idea does it have an authorized logo or not..

Boy I hope it isn't 12V for each USB port, or you're gonna blow stuff up!

It's fine - at worst, those things charge slower. At best, there's no difference. Only real concern is when you're copying files over a USB hub - the crappier ones tend to copy much slower.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #10,952 of 12,862
Boy I hope it isn't 12V for each USB port, or you're gonna blow stuff up!

It's fine - at worst, those things charge slower. At best, there's no difference. Only real concern is when you're copying files over a USB hub - the crappier ones tend to copy much slower.
i hope so , i couldn't find any voltage spec for each usb on their official website , i tried to contact them on facebook and they said "60W (12V/5A) it provides 1.5A charging current while transmitting data , up to 2.4A without connect to the computers" so i think its supossed to fast charging , but i have no idea it will be okay to use or not

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #10,955 of 12,862
i hope so , i couldn't find any voltage spec for each usb on their official website , i tried to contact them on facebook and they said "60W (12V/5A) it provides 1.5A charging current while transmitting data , up to 2.4A without connect to the computers" so i think its supossed to fast charging , but i have no idea it will be okay to use or not

It's fine. The 12V5A is the spec for the power supply to the hub. The hub uses the external power from the power supply, and providest 5V at the USB port output, instead of drawing power from the PC, which is current limited. All USB ports are 5V. For a PC USB port implemented compliant to the USB spec, a single port is restricted to 500 Mah (0.5 Amp) maximum, so you will never get more than that, and if you connect a hub to a PC USB port, all the ports on the hub share the 0.5A, which is why it is not recommended to charge on a hub connected to a PC. Actually you can use a hub, just that if there are multiple devices connected to the hub, you will get less than 0.5A. Maybe much less.

As a general guideline, use a high quality, high current USB supply. Any good quality charger will work. Get the highest current possible. This is so that the USB power supply operates well below it's rated spec, giving you a safety margin, and running cooler. Whatever you do, stay away from cheapie supplies, that are badly designed with low quality components and low current design, that may break down, and output damaging voltages, or cause fires. I use multi port chargers rated at 8-10amps. The actual charge current is controlled by the device being charged, and not the charger. The device "pulls" power from the charger. The charger does not "push" current to the device. The charger's job is to provide a large reservoir of clean current to draw on, so that the charger is never driven to the limit of it's capacity, which would cause over current conditions and overheating/breakdown.

ORICO - 12V5A power supply, hot-swappable, can drive more devices stably, and also ensure power supply, brings you better expansion and charging station.
1200-8(14).jpg

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #10,956 of 12,862
It's fine. The 12V5A is the spec for the power supply to the hub. The hub uses the external power from the power supply, and providest 5V at the USB port output, instead of drawing power from the PC, which is current limited. All USB ports are 5V. For a PC USB port implemented compliant to the USB spec, a single port is restricted to 500 Mah (0.5 Amp) maximum, so you will never get more than that, and if you connect a hub to a PC USB port, all the ports on the hub share the 0.5A, which is why it is not recommended to charge on a hub connected to a PC. Actually you can use a hub, just that if there are multiple devices connected to the hub, you will get less than 0.5A. Maybe much less.

As a general guideline, use a high quality, high current USB supply. Any good quality charger will work. Get the highest current possible. This is so that the USB power supply operates well below it's rated spec, giving you a safety margin, and running cooler. Whatever you do, stay away from cheapie supplies, that are badly designed with low quality components and low current design, that may break down, and output damaging voltages, or cause fires. I use multi port chargers rated at 8-10amps. The actual charge current is controlled by the device being charged, and not the charger. The device "pulls" power from the charger. The charger does not "push" current to the device. The charger's job is to provide a large reservoir of clean current to draw on, so that the charger is never driven to the limit of it's capacity, which would cause over current conditions and overheating/breakdown.

ORICO - 12V5A power supply, hot-swappable, can drive more devices stably, and also ensure power supply, brings you better expansion and charging station.
1200-8(14).jpg
thanks a lot for the informations , i thought it was 12V for each usb port..it hard to find this information on google about charging dap via usb hub which most of them usually using phone wall adapter charging , i tried it before with phone charger but its pain to me because i used to frequently changing my songs on music center while charging and ofc i need more usb port for other stuff so i think this is the best choice for me

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #10,957 of 12,862
Personally i prefer the N3... more open and more details including a very decent low end. Bravado was too much bass for me.

Thanks.

Yea. Balance is tipping towards the N3, which is funny because, even before the M9s were launched, the N3s were what I was lookin to buy.

Should probably have them both by April.

Sure, but if it's dirty voltage, it'll affect a whole lot more than the quality of bass. Usually, when people talk about powerful bass, it's because there's sufficient current or power, not voltage.

Right-O!

I'm just nitpicking it because I was very surprised at that revelation. The only time I noticed it was in the dead of night in my room, just about to nod off and sleep. Otherwise, I never noticed the hiss. In terms of hissiness, this is much less than the Fiio DAPs, so if you're sensitive about it, just try it out.

For the record, the IER-M9 only hissed from my computer output (unsurprising). Not even a crappy phone hissed on the M9s.

Thanks.

Listening to a colleague's Fiio X5 3rd gen with Sennheiser's IE 80s was a driving factor for me, in investing into this hobby. But after having used the ZX300 there's no going back.

If you like lots of bass in your music, the Bravado is for you. Mids are slightly recessed (but just slightly), and treble is glorious. But the bass, man, the bass! It's a fun IEM that sounds pricier than it is.

Thanks. Certainly interesting, but I've never been a bass head. Might have to cross off the Bravados too.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #10,958 of 12,862
I love my ZX300 but I'm crazy curious to see how the Calyx M performs. Feedback on it has been stellar.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #10,959 of 12,862
anybody use self-powered usb hub for charging zx300 battery?? how good it is? is it safe??
been charging zx300 through my notebook usb port till now , but lately i need more usb port to use , i am thinking about buying an usb hub for other stuff also for charging and transfer music my zx300.
reffer to help guide on sony website about charging there is a note written " Charging from a USB hub is only guaranteed when you use a self-powered USB hub that carries an authorized logo." what is an authorized logo on usb hub? i cant find it on google
im planning to get ORICO 12 Port with BC 1.2 (P12-U3) http://my.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6397 (self powered usb with 12V/5A power adapter i think its around 12V/2.4A for each usb port) still have no idea does it have an authorized logo or not..
The 12V/5A would be the rating of the mains power supply that supplied the Hub. USB ports always deliver 5V. Typically USB ports are either 1A or 2A, but generally if a port is Data and Charging it'll be 1A (so slow for charging). I use a StarTech ST4300U3C3 USB Hub. It has four USB 3.0 Data Ports and three dedicated USB Charging Ports (2 x 1 A and 1 x 2 A); it's wall-mountable. If I'm not in a rush the SX300 wil charge eventually while on a Data Port, but for speed using the dedicated 2A speeds things up. Amazon have then at £49.98 - here are smaller and cheaper items but I have a lot of USB peripherals hooked in to my Mac.

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #10,961 of 12,862
thanks a lot for the informations , i thought it was 12V for each usb port..it hard to find this information on google about charging dap via usb hub which most of them usually using phone wall adapter charging , i tried it before with phone charger but its pain to me because i used to frequently changing my songs on music center while charging and ofc i need more usb port for other stuff so i think this is the best choice for me

I highly recommend multiple port chargers, like this Anker 60W 5 port charger. I use other brands, because they are more available, but Anker has a good reputation.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...18K8KSR66RE&psc=1&refRID=QRW7YWZFA18K8KSR66RE
The cord allows you to plug it into the wall, and place it on your desk, so it is easily accessible. This one has QC 3.0 (Quick Charge) on 2 of the ports, so if your device has a Qualcomm Quick Charge chipset, it will charge faster. For travelling, this allows you to simultaneously charge multiple phones and Pads, without worrying about overloading it. Most of the time, it barely gets warm. And it is the only charger you need to carry with you, as this replaces individual chargers that come with devices. It is a great buy, when you consider that it can be used at home and travelling, so it gets a lot of use for a small amount of money. After using these, I no longer use or carry any other chargers, and would feel lost without one, especially when travelling. I have a separate one, with an assortment of cables in a travel bag, so it is one less thing to worry about for packing.

618i554rp0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #10,962 of 12,862
There are a lot of charging options now, the combi wall chargers are great for handling the variety, QC, FC, USB3.1, USBC/3.2, 0.5a, 1a, 2a, multivoltage upto 20v/5a.

Alas the ZX300 isn't a fast charging device by any method, I've charged it on 0.5A, 1A and 2A sockets and not noticed much of an improvement, suspect the max it would do would be 1A. :)

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #10,963 of 12,862
There are a lot of charging options now, the combi wall chargers are great for handling the variety, QC, FC, USB3.1, USBC/3.2, 0.5a, 1a, 2a, multivoltage upto 20v/5a.

Alas the ZX300 isn't a fast charging device by any method, I've charged it on 0.5A, 1A and 2A sockets and not noticed much of an improvement, suspect the max it would do would be 1A. :)

The charge current is around 0.4A - 0.7A. I have a charge doctor dongle which goes in series with the USB plug, and displays the voltage and current. The Sony players look like they have a constant current charging design. Not like phones, which will charge at higher currents if they are deep discharged and can pull 1 - 2A, depending on the discharge state, and the phone. And then taper the current down, as the battery charges up.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #10,964 of 12,862
I highly recommend multiple port chargers, like this Anker 60W 5 port charger. I use other brands, because they are more available, but Anker has a good reputation.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...18K8KSR66RE&psc=1&refRID=QRW7YWZFA18K8KSR66RE
The cord allows you to plug it into the wall, and place it on your desk, so it is easily accessible. This one has QC 3.0 (Quick Charge) on 2 of the ports, so if your device has a Qualcomm Quick Charge chipset, it will charge faster. For travelling, this allows you to simultaneously charge multiple phones and Pads, without worrying about overloading it. Most of the time, it barely gets warm. And it is the only charger you need to carry with you, as this replaces individual chargers that come with devices. It is a great buy, when you consider that it can be used at home and travelling, so it gets a lot of use for a small amount of money. After using these, I no longer use or carry any other chargers, and would feel lost without one, especially when travelling. I have a separate one, with an assortment of cables in a travel bag, so it is one less thing to worry about for packing.

618i554rp0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I've been using this exact one for charging my ZX300 for the past year and a bit. I wanted one with a known brand with great reviews, the only minor issue is that the light has gone recently.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #10,965 of 12,862
thanks a lot guys for sharing and recommendation , beside orico hub for transfer music i think i will buy anker powerport lite 6 (unfortunately only this model are available in my local marketplace) this will be cool looking on my desktop , i didnt realize there was a charger like this before https://www.anker.com/uk/products/variant/powerport-lite-6-ports/A2061111
i think this is the safest choice since you guys using it without any problem for zx300

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back