Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #9,721 of 12,862
Should I expect much of a learning curve coming from a Hiby R3?
I'm currently running a 128gb Samsung evo card with approximately 4000 flac files.
All the files are within artist folders tagged via mp3tag.
Will the zx300 recognize my sd card structure and album art?
I would like to avoid using Sony's Media Manager, if possible.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #9,722 of 12,862
Should I expect much of a learning curve coming from a Hiby R3?
I'm currently running a 128gb Samsung evo card with approximately 4000 flac files.
All the files are within artist folders tagged via mp3tag.
Will the zx300 recognize my sd card structure and album art?
I would like to avoid using Sony's Media Manager, if possible.
Your library needs to be stored inside a Music folder at the root of the SD card.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #9,723 of 12,862
Your library needs to be stored inside a Music folder at the root of the SD card.
Is it as simple as creating a new folder called "Music"
and dragging all my albums into that folder?

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #9,724 of 12,862
You'll have to use the DAP to format the SD card first, then you can transfer the music through a computer. Do note that Sony DAPs are a little picky with album art, not only does it have to be baseline (use this website, if it says the album art is progressive then you'll have to convert it), but your music will have to be ID3v2.3 tags. I wouldn't worry much about the tags though since most music files will use the correct one but it's still an issue I've encountered every once in a while.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #9,725 of 12,862
Yes it is that simple....you do not have to format. Once properly tagged, as it seems you have done already, those files will play on most if not all daps.
In the case of the Sony, name a folder Music then drag the whole library into it and enjoy. I've owned R3 plus Sony and would swap the card out every day when home from work. That same card worked in Fiio, Opus, Cayin, Hidiz and Cowon without ever formatting in any player...ever.
My experience is exactly opposite of Leetransform25 in that once you do go ahead and get your tags right ( don't assume they are correct to start) you can, as I do, swap cards from one machine to another at will.
Not that it should matter - I will add I'm using MAC with music tag editor ID3 and have only ever formatted on the MAC

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #9,726 of 12,862
Yes it is that simple....you do not have to format. Once properly tagged, as it seems you have done already, those files will play on most if not all daps.
In the case of the Sony, name a folder Music then drag the whole library into it and enjoy. I've owned R3 plus Sony and would swap the card out every day when home from work. That same card worked in Fiio, Opus, Cayin, Hidiz and Cowon without ever formatting in any player...ever.
My experience is exactly opposite of Leetransform25 in that once you do go ahead and get your tags right ( don't assume they are correct to start) you can, as I do, swap cards from one machine to another at will.
Not that it should matter - I will add I'm using MAC with music tag editor ID3 and have only ever formatted on the MAC
Although things should be fine if you just create a folder and name it as "Music", Sony does mention themselves that some functionality may be limited, so to ensure that an SD card will properly work with the ZX300 it's best to format it anyway, as any sort of previous use of the card could render it unusable with the DAP if otherwise. Not to mention that this should apply to other kinds of devices such as cameras as well.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #9,727 of 12,862
I disagree wholeheartedly, I've never formatted any card on any player- and have had zero loss of functionality. Who wants to keep reloading, in my case 400-500 gigs, of music files each time they want to listen to or even try a different player? Totally unnecessary.
What do you mean exactly by "any sort of previous use could render it unusable"? None of my previous uses have rendered any of my cards unusable. Has this actually happened to you? What were the circumstances?
In all fairness I've only used them for their intended purposes, but I suppose repeated blows with a hammer to could render them unusable.

Apr 29, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #9,728 of 12,862
I disagree wholeheartedly, I've never formatted any card on any player- and have had zero loss of functionality. Who wants to keep reloading, in my case 400-500 gigs, of music files each time they want to listen to or even try a different player? Totally unnecessary.
What do you mean exactly by "any sort of previous use could render it unusable"? None of my previous uses have rendered any of my cards unusable. Has this actually happened to you? What were the circumstances?
In all fairness I've only used them for their intended purposes, but I suppose repeated blows with a hammer to could render them unusable.
It would all depend on the original format, if it was one that's compatible with all the devices then you should be okay (other then any magic folder/file structure issues relating to particular products i.e. 'Music' folder, file lengths, needing track number at start for album order).
However not all devices support every possible format that the card will, some may work for a while or cause playback issues occasionally.
So basically if it works don't worry about it, if it doesn't try using the devices built-in format tool to keep it happy. :wink:

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #9,729 of 12,862
You are wrong, the 3.5mm is a lackluster even on the NW-WM1Z. If you go for a Sony DAP, you've got to go for/invest in balanced cables.

The power output alone on single ended (60mW@16ohms) is a very good tell, that is very weak, not NW-ZX2 or NW-A35 weak, but weak enough that you can't drive any remotely demanding headphones on it.
To be honest the extra 10mW you get from the WM1 series aren't going to make a whole world of difference. Remember, that's not a typo, those are mW into 16 (yes, sixteen) ohms, as a reference, if you look at the hiby R6 Pro's SE output, that's 245mW@32Ohms, this is roughly twice the power you get on the WM1 series balanced output and over 8 times the power or the WM1 series SE.
While the balanced power output is somewhat decent on the WM1 and ZX300 series it's still somewhat on the weak side compared to its competition, for example, yet again looking at the R6 Pro, it sports a 750mW@32Ohms power output, I will let you do the maths as to how that compares to the 250mW@16ohms of the NW-WM1Z. That said I don't think anything needs that much power, but it's nice that it's there and you have the option to drive insanely high power hungry headphones, should those ever appear (I don't see anything requiring that much power other than electrostatics and those use their own amps/energizers), although then again we see plenty of desktop amps with over 1W of output, I guess some people just like buying gear with high numbers.
I totally think Sony intentionally downgraded the SE output, to force people to use the balanced, afterall they are the brand pushing 4.4 balanced.

I also have the zx300 and zx2, and I personal feel the zx2 excel in SQ, although the zx300 does have slightly more power, but power is not everything, tuning, quality of the components do make a lot of differences, and Sony had to cut corner on quality to bring the cost of the zx300 to a affordable level.

Apr 29, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #9,730 of 12,862
Like I said, most of the time it should be fine, but if you want to be absolutely sure that the SD card will work, formatting will not do you any harm. Issues will most likely occur if you used the SD for some other kind of use case (Like a video game console or a camera since they deal with other types of files and not audio), but if it's only been used for music then most likely there won't be problems with compatibility. I'm not suggesting you literally have to format it everytime you stick it in a device, but rather when you want to use it for something new and want to ensure that everything will work properly. Experienced no loss of functionality? Good for you, I'm only suggesting formatting because not everyone's experience will be like yours.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #9,731 of 12,862
Has anyone used one of these WM-port to 3.5mm adapters to obtain analog line out into an external headphone amp?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Wm-port-LOD-...yer-to-Headphone-Amplifier-Adapter/2178320636

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-2M-LIN...MP3-X-S-E-A-Series-with-WM-PORT-/300504773233

The ebay listings do not specifically say the adapter are compatible with the newer Sony daps, but they use the same 22-pin WM-port, so I was thinking they might work. The benefit would be to provide a true analog fixed volume line out into an external amp to avoid double amping with the headphone out jack.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #9,732 of 12,862
No. However, I have tried using the standard USB to 22-pin (charging) cable to connect my ZX-300 to my car audio via the USB AUX port, like in the case of an iPod or iPhone, but to no avail. The car’s head unit did not recognize or process files on the DAP.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #9,733 of 12,862
Has anyone used one of these WM-port to 3.5mm adapters to obtain analog line out into an external headphone amp?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Wm-port-LOD-...yer-to-Headphone-Amplifier-Adapter/2178320636

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-2M-LIN...MP3-X-S-E-A-Series-with-WM-PORT-/300504773233

The ebay listings do not specifically say the adapter are compatible with the newer Sony daps, but they use the same 22-pin WM-port, so I was thinking they might work. The benefit would be to provide a true analog fixed volume line out into an external amp to avoid double amping with the headphone out jack.

Just tried my adapter again I used from my A15 but alas, no. Thought I had done but must be mistaken.... Was a little while back.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #9,734 of 12,862
I've still got the cabled adapter I got for my A10 which works on my 300. Works fine.
Although not measured or used for a while, if I recall I dare say that although it is fixed the level would still be lower than a conventional full size separates device.

After doing a bit more searching, there is also the Sony BCR-NWU7 cradle that has a 3.5mm audio out jack. This is available on ebay, is older, and not designed for the ZX300, but it looks like it would work. Something like this would be perfect to use the Sony DAP as a source connected to a desktop amp for powering full sized cans.

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #9,735 of 12,862
After doing a bit more searching, there is also the Sony BCR-NWU7 cradle that has a 3.5mm audio out jack. This is available on ebay, is older, and not designed for the ZX300, but it looks like it would work. Something like this would be perfect to use the Sony DAP as a source connected to a desktop amp for powering full sized cans.

Please note my previous boob and amendment as just dug out the cable to try again.

Earlier in this thread there is mention of the NWH10 dock. Although I can't comment personally on it feedback on a question was if it is compatible with the 300 and the reply was yes. Bit more than I'd like to spend on a simple dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back