Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #9,586 of 12,862
Going balanced source to unbalanced can damage your player, I believe. Read about it. Didn't believe. Caused issues with my Hibr R6. Sent back adapter. Stick with the SE port. If you want to adjust and improve the sound, play with the EQ and sound settings.

Well that throws a wrinkle in the equation :frowning2:

@dcguy73, do you have an opinion on this?

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #9,587 of 12,862
You know, I haven't had any issues using my balanced cable with the Sony player and headphones, and I got the cable in November 2018.

YMMV. I never turn the volume up very loud though.

Do a search on this thread for balanced cable. You'll find varying opinions.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #9,588 of 12,862
Perhaps that's true of adapters that are balanced to unbalanced only. Seemed like it caused by Hibuyto warm up quickly and it buzzed and acted weird. Even froze up. Reset it, went back to no adapter and it's fine. Plugged adapter in and it went crazy again.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #9,589 of 12,862
You can go from 2.5/4.4 balanced to 3.5 source input with an adapter but you can not add an adapter to a 3.5 plug and run them balanced. You can add an adapter like the iBasso CA02 to connect your 2.5 balanced cable and make it 4.4, that's what I do. You can also do the reverse.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #9,590 of 12,862
Yes, but you can't go 2.5 mm balanced source (male) to 3.5 unbalanced output (female). That's where I ran into trouble.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #9,591 of 12,862
Yes, but you can't go 2.5 mm balanced source (male) to 3.5 unbalanced output (female). That's where I ran into trouble.
The source would be the DAP/Amp, not the cable. If you have a 2.5mm cable you can add an adapter and listen fine through an unbalanced source. If you have a single ended (3.5) cable you can not add an adapter and run them balanced.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #9,592 of 12,862
Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum - this is my first post. Please forgive any oversights if I’m posting in the wrong area or am discussing something already addressed (I did search and haven’t found anything yet).

I am an audiophile newb, and earlier this year I purchased the NW-ZX300. I like it. I have no complaints. Then again, I have nothing to compare to.

My primary use case is for travel - I fly a lot for work and I listen while on a plane. Additionally, I use it when driving in my car.

I don’t know if I’m able to further maximize the device than I am in those two instances. For “cans” I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 and in the car I connect using a 3.5mm Audioquest Golden Gate stereo cable to the car’s “AUX” 3.5mm input.

I really don’t ever sit at home listening to music on headphones, so to date I haven’t invested in any high-end cans. Because of the requirement for using while flying noise-canceling is a top priority. Nevertheless, despite having what are purportedly the best noise-canceling headphones available, they are not “Balanced” nor can I use the 4.4mm Balanced jack. That is unless I were to get a 4.4mm to 2.5mm input adaptor, but I don’t really know if that would be an improvement over plugging into the 2.5mm jack to begin with.

Ultimately, my quest is for the best possible listening experience. If there were such thing as a high-end balanced headphone with noise-canceling I’d be all over it, but I don’t think such an item exists?

Does anyone see a way that I could improve my listening experience in either of the two use cases outlined above (flying and driving)?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Welcome to the club, Josh.. I don't own a 1000XM3 but I've tested it a lot when it got famous few months back.. It's the best active noise cancelling headphones on the market hands down.. Almost bought it twice when price went down to USD250 but changed my mind last minute & got wired IEM XBA-N1AP instead (for smaller size).. Anyway, I like 1000XM3 very much especially the EQ, ambient settings, touch controls & what not.. Ok that's me .. Perhaps other members would share their thoughts as well... Cheers.. :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #9,593 of 12,862
Apr 22, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #9,596 of 12,862
The source would be the DAP/Amp, not the cable. If you have a 2.5mm cable you can add an adapter and listen fine through an unbalanced source. If you have a single ended (3.5) cable you can not add an adapter and run them balanced.

Yes, obviously. I was simply clarifying that is the source end. That you can't go balanced source to adapt an unbalanced cable, but you can use a balanced cable and adapt to an unbalanced source.

Apr 23, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #9,597 of 12,862
IMG_20190424_024157-01.jpeg

Loving this new toy. Such class and quality.

Currently enjoying the 120Ω VE Monk SPC in 4.4mm.

Case coming soon.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #9,599 of 12,862
Does anyone know how much battery life you lose by enabling just the EQ alone? After playing around with things a bit I think I've settled on this slightly V-shaped signature but I don't want to sacrifice too much battery life by using it. I usually get around 20-21 hours with everything disabled (including direct) through balanced, by the way. I'm also close to burning in the port for 200 hours too :smile:

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #9,600 of 12,862
Does anyone know how much battery life you lose by enabling just the EQ alone? After playing around with things a bit I think I've settled on this slightly V-shaped signature but I don't want to sacrifice too much battery life by using it. I usually get around 20-21 hours with everything disabled (including direct) through balanced, by the way. I'm also close to burning in the port for 200 hours too :smile:

With battery saver activated, eq always on, ALAC files, minimal screen time, I consistently get the same as you (20-21 hrs). Am using Andromeda S with a full range of volume settings, single ended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back