Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 21, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #9,571 of 12,862
Get a pair of XLR cables to connect the L/R channels from the DAC to the amp, they are cheap and readily available. That amp has a XLR-4 headphone jack so you need a a 4.4mm to XLR-4 adapter. If you bought a 4.4mm to dual XLR adapter (why?), you would then need a dual XLR to XLR-4 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCDVIW).

Forgot to mention that I already have an XLR headphone cable. It is plugged into my amp as I wait for my source cable (slow boat from Hong Kong).

Shane D

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #9,573 of 12,862
To start with, I bought the 4.4mm to dual 3p XLR to hook my DAP directly to my new Loxjie P20.

Oh! I assumed we were talking about 4.4mm headphones into an XLR-4 headphone jack - I wouldn't hook the ZX300 up to an amp via the headphone out since it's not a line-out (it may sound okay but it's not a clean signal meant for amps)...

So, if I do the regular DAP - OTG - DAC thing, I just need to do XLR female (DAC) to XLR male (amp)?

Yup.

Hard to find a dual XLR to dual XLR. I suppose I could just buy two single cables.

Yeah, dual would just be two 3-pin cables bonded together...

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #9,574 of 12,862
Oh! I assumed we were talking about 4.4mm headphones into an XLR-4 headphone jack - I wouldn't hook the ZX300 up to an amp via the headphone out since it's not a line-out (it may sound okay but it's not a clean signal meant for amps)...

Good to know. I guess I will get a preview when the cable comes in.

Shane D

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #9,575 of 12,862
I normally use foobar2000 to edit any tag and I've never had a problem before. Both "Artist" and "Album Artist" show as "Jeremy Soule" so I don't get what the issue is..
Do you have the Sort Artist and/or Sort Album Artist Tag? They override Artist and Album Artist.

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #9,577 of 12,862
So, just DAP to 'phone? Balanced? Have you ever heard the Meze 99 Classic's? If so, could you compare?

Are you using filters?

Thanks!
Not even balanced. The frivolity of that particular expense is reserved for a later point in my timeline. Until then, just DAP (single ended) to Cascade.

No experience with those cans. I have a very limited vocabulary with equipment, as I've only listened to a couple of products, most of them Campfire Audio.

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #9,578 of 12,862
Not even balanced. The frivolity of that particular expense is reserved for a later point in my timeline. Until then, just DAP (single ended) to Cascade.

No experience with those cans. I have a very limited vocabulary with equipment, as I've only listened to a couple of products, most of them Campfire Audio.

Well, if you're going to have a simple set-up, you have some nice components.

Shane D

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #9,579 of 12,862
Hi All,

I am brand new to this forum - this is my first post. Please forgive any oversights if I’m posting in the wrong area or am discussing something already addressed (I did search and haven’t found anything yet).

I am an audiophile newb, and earlier this year I purchased the NW-ZX300. I like it. I have no complaints. Then again, I have nothing to compare to.

My primary use case is for travel - I fly a lot for work and I listen while on a plane. Additionally, I use it when driving in my car.

I don’t know if I’m able to further maximize the device than I am in those two instances. For “cans” I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 and in the car I connect using a 3.5mm Audioquest Golden Gate stereo cable to the car’s “AUX” 3.5mm input.

I really don’t ever sit at home listening to music on headphones, so to date I haven’t invested in any high-end cans. Because of the requirement for using while flying noise-canceling is a top priority. Nevertheless, despite having what are purportedly the best noise-canceling headphones available, they are not “Balanced” nor can I use the 4.4mm Balanced jack. That is unless I were to get a 4.4mm to 2.5mm input adaptor, but I don’t really know if that would be an improvement over plugging into the 2.5mm jack to begin with.

Ultimately, my quest is for the best possible listening experience. If there were such thing as a high-end balanced headphone with noise-canceling I’d be all over it, but I don’t think such an item exists?

Does anyone see a way that I could improve my listening experience in either of the two use cases outlined above (flying and driving)?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #9,580 of 12,862
Josh,

I have the same combo of Sony player/headphones. If you get a balanced 4.4 mm cable, you'll get better sound out of the player, as its balanced output is much more powerful than its single-ended output. Also, as you've probably figured out, you can listen via a wired connection and have the noise-cancelling feature engaged at the same time.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #9,581 of 12,862
If you just want to play Spotify through your ZX300 then just updated to FW2.0 and use the BT receiver mode. LDAC sounds fantastic on it. No cables needed.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #9,582 of 12,862
Josh,

I have the same combo of Sony player/headphones. If you get a balanced 4.4 mm cable, you'll get better sound out of the player, as its balanced output is much more powerful than its single-ended output. Also, as you've probably figured out, you can listen via a wired connection and have the noise-cancelling feature engaged at the same time.

To be clear, I currently use a cable (the stock 3.5mm that came with the WH-1000XM3s) - kinda defeats the purpose listening to DSD files over wireless connection. And, yes! I enable noise-cancel(l)ing while wired.

Are you saying that I can get a 4.4mm cable that will connect to the WH-1000XM3s? Can you link to a product?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,583 of 12,862
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #9,585 of 12,862
Going balanced source to unbalanced can damage your player, I believe. Read about it. Didn't believe. Caused issues with my Hibr R6. Sent back adapter. Stick with the SE port. If you want to adjust and improve the sound, play with the EQ and sound settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back