Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #9,556 of 12,862
Not sure what that chart means. The Mojo works with ZX300, but the chart looks like it doesn't.

I have fed both Mojo and Hugo 2 with Sony Zx300.

With the Fiio L27 cable? I thought I'd tested mine and it didn't work, in fact I remember thinking "that's odd this doesn't work"

I will have to retest it now.

Edit: Retested not working for me. :frowning2: My Mojo is a very old one maybe that's why.

Edit 2: Tested with Hugo 2 as well at this point I can say the chart is correct. I do use my ZX300/L27 all the time with a Oppo HA-2SE and I can confirm that works very well.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #9,560 of 12,862
I'm enjoying them a great deal. No amp or anything. That's one too many components for me to lug around.

So, just DAP to 'phone? Balanced? Have you ever heard the Meze 99 Classic's? If so, could you compare?

Are you using filters?

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #9,561 of 12,862
123_1.jpg
The other end of the Sony OTG adapter cable is just a female USB. Therefor just a USB > micro USB to feed Mojo DAC. … Once you have your cables, it's just plug it in and press play. Sony automatically sends data to DAC.

Since you and Drews are so far ahead of me...how would you cable this?
Sony ZX-300 to SMSL SU-8 balanced DAC to SMSL SH-8 as an example. Here is a peek:

I have already ordered a 4.4mm to dual XLR to plug directly into an amp. How would you include a DAC in the chain?

Thanks for the education!

Shane D

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #9,562 of 12,862
With the Fiio L27 cable? I thought I'd tested mine and it didn't work, in fact I remember thinking "that's odd this doesn't work"

Edit: Retested not working for me. :frowning2: My Mojo is a very old one maybe that's why.

Edit 2: Tested with Hugo 2 as well at this point I can say the chart is correct. I do use my ZX300/L27 all the time with a Oppo HA-2SE and I can confirm that works very well.

It seems like the FiiO cable is more for mobile use.

Shane D

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #9,563 of 12,862
For some strange reason, Jeremy Soule appears under the letter 'S' instead of 'J' on my ZX300. I've even changed the artist's name to just 'Jeremy' to no avail whatsoever. In an effort to cure my OCD, any help would be truly appreciated :smh:

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #9,564 of 12,862
For some strange reason, Jeremy Soule appears under the letter 'S' instead of 'J' on my ZX300. I've even changed the artist's name to just 'Jeremy' to no avail whatsoever. In an effort to cure my OCD, any help would be truly appreciated :smh:

It’ll be the way it’s actually tagged... so either rightly or wrongly it’s tagged with his surname. You’ll have to edit the metadata using MP3Tag or similar. I had a few multiple CD albums that didn’t come next to each other in Alphabetical order, so had to change it manually. Really bloody annoying!

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #9,565 of 12,862
It’ll be the way it’s actually tagged... so either rightly or wrongly it’s tagged with his surname. You’ll have to edit the metadata using MP3Tag or similar. I had a few multiple CD albums that didn’t come next to each other in Alphabetical order, so had to change it manually. Really bloody annoying!
I normally use foobar2000 to edit any tag and I've never had a problem before. Both "Artist" and "Album Artist" show as "Jeremy Soule" so I don't get what the issue is..

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #9,566 of 12,862

Since you and Drews are so far ahead of me...how would you cable this?
Sony ZX-300 to SMSL SU-8 balanced DAC to SMSL SH-8 as an example. Here is a peek:

I have already ordered a 4.4mm to dual XLR to plug directly into an amp. How would you include a DAC in the chain?

Shane D

You'd want a USB A-B cable (commonly used for printers) the Sony USB adapter and a 4.4mm to XLR-4 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7LKBXX). You probably don't want a dual XLR adapter - those are rarely used for headphone output anymore (mostly just balanced DAC->balanced Amp)... Have you considered the Sony PHA-2A? It has 4.4mm balanced out and comes with a cable to connect the ZX300...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #9,567 of 12,862

I just had a google for the Fiio L27 cable. I said in this post on the last page, that cable does not work.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-636#post-14910133

It's in the FAQ section of the Mojo thread.

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #9,568 of 12,862
You'd want a USB A-B cable (commonly used for printers) the Sony USB adapter and a 4.4mm to XLR-4 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7LKBXX). You probably don't want a dual XLR adapter - those are rarely used for headphone output anymore (mostly just balanced DAC->balanced Amp)...
So, OTG adapter to printer cable to DAC? That makes sense.

Now where do I plug the 4.4mm to dual XLR cable? Into the DAC? If so, how do I get the balanced signal to the amp?

Shane D

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #9,569 of 12,862
Get a pair of XLR cables to connect the L/R channels from the DAC to the amp, they are cheap and readily available. That amp has a XLR-4 headphone jack so you need a a 4.4mm to XLR-4 adapter. If you bought a 4.4mm to dual XLR adapter (why?), you would then need a dual XLR to XLR-4 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCDVIW).

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #9,570 of 12,862
Get a pair of XLR cables to connect the L/R channels from the DAC to the amp, they are cheap and readily available. That amp has a XLR-4 headphone jack so you need a a 4.4mm to XLR-4 adapter. If you bought a 4.4mm to dual XLR adapter (why?), you would then need a dual XLR to XLR-4 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Silver-Adapter/dp/B010NCDVIW).
To start with, I bought the 4.4mm to dual 3p XLR to hook my DAP directly to my new Loxjie P20.

So, if I do the regular DAP - OTG - DAC thing, I just need to do XLR female (DAC) to XLR male (amp)?

Hard to find a dual XLR to dual XLR. I suppose I could just buy two single cables.

Shane D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back