Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 19, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #8,596 of 12,862
How does the High Gain feature work? I know that it's main function is to boost the audio volume, but is there any other difference in SQ? Are there any kind of drawbacks such as noise grain or battery life?

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #8,597 of 12,862
How does the High Gain feature work? I know that it's main function is to boost the audio volume, but is there any other difference in SQ? Are there any kind of drawbacks such as noise grain or battery life?

It will definitely shorten your battery life! But the sound is "fuller" and it is SO worth it.

Shane D

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #8,598 of 12,862
It doubles noise. You will hear it on sensitive iems.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #8,599 of 12,862
Will I bought one today and so far very pleased. Software update went well, but have not done the volume hack yet as not sure I need that. I was wondering about the "High Gain" so thank you for that. Now justc need to work out how to make/sort my play lists.

Qnapper

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #8,601 of 12,862
Sorry for all these questions but from everyone's experience, how much less battery life do you get when enabling all the enhancements (e.g DSEE HX, DC Phase, Vinyl, High Gain)?

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #8,602 of 12,862
Question please: why when I make a playlist and then connected to computer to add some more music does the playlists I have a;ready made state "Not editable" - seams odd.
SORTED....... after reading the full thread here the answer was to format the micro SD card before transfering music across and making sure the folder was called MUSIC not Music....... :gs1000smile:

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #8,603 of 12,862
Now I've settled on Type B Low for the Phase Linearizer and I have to say...it's awesome. Definitely an improvement in sub bass from my IER-M9. A much needed improvement too! I love this combo!

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #8,604 of 12,862
It doubles noise. You will hear it on sensitive iems.

I didn't notice noise but while I listened to my ZX300 using High Gain (vol about 65), I usually got headache, then I turn to Low Again with 75~85 vol and feel so good (without headache anymore) so I think there maybe noise but it depend on your iem & also High Gain seem makes sound fuller, I guess. But I will stick with Low Gain ^^

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #8,605 of 12,862
I didn't notice noise but while I listened to my ZX300 using High Gain (vol about 65), I usually got headache, then I turn to Low Again with 75~85 vol and feel so good (without headache anymore) so I think there maybe noise but it depend on your iem & also High Gain seem makes sound fuller, I guess. But I will stick with Low Gain ^^
Yeah I get a stuffy feeling in my ears on high gain, and with my RHA CL2 I can hear the noise floor increase. That iem is very transparent, it is 100% for real.
Low gain sounds soooooooo good in comparison, just clarity with a black background.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #8,606 of 12,862
Yeah I get a stuffy feeling in my ears on high gain, and with my RHA CL2 I can hear the noise floor increase. That iem is very transparent, it is 100% for real.
Low gain sounds soooooooo good in comparison, just clarity with a black background.

Yeah, on HG it seems everything is wider, fuller, deeper which are very attractive but there's also something makes me feel uncomfortable too (I can't describe it) & on LG, those feelings just disappear. You just to set the vol a bit higher (about 10 steps) & everything will be fantastic again :D

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #8,607 of 12,862
Wow I totally agree with you guys on every point made! I have to crank the volume quite a bit more than 10 steps to match HG on LG volume settings. Like I have to go over 20 steps before I feel like I've matched where I was on HG. Legit from 72 to 100 on some albums. I use HG and I will get a headache after some hours of listening but LG just sounds so damn thin and subdued I can't even listen to it. I feel like I'm missing out on LG.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #8,608 of 12,862
Ok so after a bit more playing around, LG sounds better to me with direct sound turned on, where as with HG I like the sound of the DC Phase Linearizer settings. I can actually totally dig me some low gain now and I'm gonna be trying it all day.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #8,609 of 12,862
Ok so after a bit more playing around, LG sounds better to me with direct sound turned on, where as with HG I like the sound of the DC Phase Linearizer settings. I can actually totally dig me some low gain now and I'm gonna be trying it all day.
That's how I use it. Low gain, Direct sound on.
Save battery and no headaches.
It just sounds so much better.

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #8,610 of 12,862

Welcome bro, I've been using Direct Source from the beginning & never use effect for serious listening :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back