Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #8,581 of 12,862
okay, it worked! I'm a little scared though that this is a bad sign, that it doesn't bode well for the life of my hard drive. And I only have about 51 hours on it.. Actually, for whatever reason, the SQ has improved a bit since I did the update. Better separation and soundstage..

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #8,582 of 12,862
How many hours of burn-in will it take until you get an improvement in sound, and how much better does it get? Sorry for all these generic questions lol

okay, it worked! I'm a little scared though that this is a bad sign, that it doesn't bode well for the life of my hard drive. And I only have about 51 hours on it.. Actually, for whatever reason, the SQ has improved a bit since I did the update. Better separation and soundstage..

Sony recommendation is 200 hours burn in for each output. General consensus is that the 4.4 balanced is the only way to go on the zx300.

Mine was purchased used with around 50 hours on the balanced side. At that point, a few songs sounded good, a few just ok, and some like absolute crap! Intolerably bad. I hit high gain, play all, plugged it in, and ignored it for a week. Phenomenal change! All the songs that sounded like crap sound good. Really good!

Of course now I’m wondering if upgrading from the Campfire Audio Lyra II’s could take it up another notch........

I’ve pretty much settled on low gain, and direct sound for most listening, at least with high quality recordings. Preserves the most detail. The upsampling and vinyl processing are fun to play with, and can certainly improve recordings that are poor to average, or odd re-mixes. I typically use type A low, Strings, and vinyl processor on standard.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #8,583 of 12,862
Thanks actually everything
Sony recommendation is 200 hours burn in for each output. General consensus is that the 4.4 balanced is the only way to go on the zx300.

Mine was purchased used with around 50 hours on the balanced side. At that point, a few songs sounded good, a few just ok, and some like absolute crap! Intolerably bad. I hit high gain, play all, plugged it in, and ignored it for a week. Phenomenal change! All the songs that sounded like crap sound good. Really good!

Of course now I’m wondering if upgrading from the Campfire Audio Lyra II’s could take it up another notch........

I’ve pretty much settled on low gain, and direct sound for most listening, at least with high quality recordings. Preserves the most detail. The upsampling and vinyl processing are fun to play with, and can certainly improve recordings that are poor to average, or odd re-mixes. I typically use type A low, Strings, and vinyl processor on standard.
Thanks actually everything you said was very helpful. I have 50 hours on there too, but I’m a little hesitant to use up 150 more hours unnecessarily as Iknow the battery doesn’t last forever. I AM tempted though! LOL!

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #8,585 of 12,862
When you left it playing for a week, can you tell us what sound level you left it on?

High gain, around 80. I burned in the new 4.4 cable at the same time.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the batteries lifespan. Set the battery saver feature. It only allows the battery to charge to 90%, even plugged in. I figure lifespan is 5-10 years, and chances are technology or my tastes will change before the battery dies. (And yes, I’ve been reading the 1A/1Z thread)

If the zx300 proves to be the love of your life, track down a spare battery for installation in the future. 1A/1Z batteries are about 70.00. Can’t imagine the zx300 battery costs more.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #8,586 of 12,862
Uh-oh, I've run into a problem I need some help with. I've been trying to update the firmware on my ZX-300, and no matter what I do, "Unit Information" shows that I have only 0.07GB/55.93GB left on my device's System Storage, and it won't update throwing an error code that there's not sufficient space to run the update. No matter how much I delete from the device, it still shows that I have only 0.07GB remaining. I've tried transferring most of the content on my SD card, have turned the device on/off several times, and no change. Anyone run into this or have any recommendations?

Every time you delete on a mac, the garbage stores up in a hidden trash folder in the storage itself. I always use CleanMyMac's Trash Bin feature to empty such folders. It will automatically clean up trash folders of every storage devices that are connected to your mac.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #8,587 of 12,862
High gain, around 80. I burned in the new 4.4 cable at the same time.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the batteries lifespan. Set the battery saver feature. It only allows the battery to charge to 90%, even plugged in. I figure lifespan is 5-10 years, and chances are technology or my tastes will change before the battery dies. (And yes, I’ve been reading the 1A/1Z thread)

If the zx300 proves to be the love of your life, track down a spare battery for installation in the future. 1A/1Z batteries are about 70.00. Can’t imagine the zx300 battery costs more.
So should I keep my Shure iems attached to the cable during that week that I have it running at 80% volume? Or should I pop them off to avoid unnecessary wear?

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #8,591 of 12,862
I didn’t bookmark it, but there is a link to a retailer somewhere back in the 500+ pages of this thread. Music Sanctuary in Singapore does battery replacement and upgrades on the Sony 1A/1Z, so I would assume they could do the zx300 also.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #8,592 of 12,862
Only the Sony service centre can provide the repair, in Japan I purchased a lot of spare parts for my ZX2 directly from Sony, from the headphone copper cap, micro sd cover, back leather cover to WM port, the battery is the only parts you have to have in house repair, they won't sell the battery or any thing that require soldering.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #8,593 of 12,862
Only the Sony service centre can provide the repair, in Japan I purchased a lot of spare parts for my ZX2 directly from Sony, from the headphone copper cap, micro sd cover, back leather cover to WM port, the battery is the only parts you have to have in house repair, they won't sell the battery or any thing that require soldering.

You must really love the ZX2 then. I do as well. The ZX2 tonally is closer to WM1Z compared to the 1A & ZX300....just less driving power and not as much musical details.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #8,594 of 12,862
You must really love the ZX2 then. I do as well. The ZX2 tonally is closer to WM1Z compared to the 1A & ZX300....just less driving power and not as much musical details.
I even had my Ex1000 re-terminated to Pentaconn TRRS in November, I got all the spares I need, just no battery.

I think it even sounds better that my ZX300 on balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back