Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 15, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #8,551 of 12,862
It’s ok I found what I wanted in settings - the ability for the player to just access internal memory

Thanks to all who responded.

Modded ZX300 paired with Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Open. Power and authority to spare. Pure magic.

Curious what you did to mod it. Can you share? What was the effect?

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #8,552 of 12,862
From the Headfonia WM1A review:

"DSEE HX is again included, but you can choose between Standard, Female – Male Vocal, Percussion and Strings. This is for CD quality or Lossy file types to increase their range and make them close to Hi-Res files. In practice, I didn’t really hear a difference to be honest.

There’s also a DC Phase Linearizer, which aims to give you an analog amplifier type of bass. There are 6 settings to choose from, each affecting the character of the lows. There’s Type A and Type B, and both have 3 settings each; low, standard and high. Low setting gives more subbass emphasis, standard gives a little more kick to both mid and subbass, and high gives more midbass emphasis. The difference between Type A and B is that; Type B bass is a little further back and gives more focus to mids, while Type A bass is more intimate."

I'm gonna disable the DSEE, as I didn't hear a difference either, and I'm going to test the DC Phase with my 58x which can lack some subbass so any increase should be noticeable.

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #8,553 of 12,862
Curious what you did to mod it. Can you share? What was the effect?
For what it’s worth - I decided on the mod (Ryuzoh in Tokyo) after reading about his work on the Mojo and the AK70, and after talking to a fellow head fier who had the ZX300 mod done. I purchased the unit and sent it straight to him so I don’t have before and after impressions.

From Ryuzoh:

1, Stabilization of GND output, especially connecting omitted GND on 4.4mm w/ silver wire.
That makes precise focusing.

2, Vibration control on capacitors and S-Master chip.
For resolution improvements.

3, Power bus reinforcement for S-Master to reduce interferences against RF.
Resolution improvements and better SNR.”

I hear a dead quiet background. Bass is tight and grippy.
The upshot is that I have the reference sound I want, with the battery life and portability I want, at a price I’m happy with.

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #8,554 of 12,862
For what it’s worth - I decided on the mod (Ryuzoh in Tokyo) after reading about his work on the Mojo and the AK70, and after talking to a fellow head fier who had the ZX300 mod done. I purchased the unit and sent it straight to him so I don’t have before and after impressions.

From Ryuzoh:

1, Stabilization of GND output, especially connecting omitted GND on 4.4mm w/ silver wire.
That makes precise focusing.

2, Vibration control on capacitors and S-Master chip.
For resolution improvements.

3, Power bus reinforcement for S-Master to reduce interferences against RF.
Resolution improvements and better SNR.”

I hear a dead quiet background. Bass is tight and grippy.
The upshot is that I have the reference sound I want, with the battery life and portability I want, at a price I’m happy with.
How much did the mod cost?

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #8,556 of 12,862
350 inc shipping to Australia.
He can also sell a pre-modded unit for around 850.
That's a good option.
There's always that quest for an improvement in sound, but the size of the ZX300 is as big as I would want to go which rules out the WM1A and 1Z

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #8,557 of 12,862
That's a good option.
There's always that quest for an improvement in sound, but the size of the ZX300 is as big as I would want to go which rules out the WM1A and 1Z
I have avoided Sony ever since I bought the ZX1 on the day it was released, only to find the power was a joke. The ZX300 easily powers my full size cans - ans I always found the Sony sound to my liking. The 1A/Z is just too bulky for me.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #8,558 of 12,862
Okay so I have a couple questions on my mind.

Does anyone know if the ZX300A also gets the 2.01 update like the ZX300 does?

I know this is subjective, but do the sound enhancements improve SQ? If they do, what settings are reccommended?

Should I get the ZX300 or the SR15? They both seem real nice but I'm not sure which one would be better. I should also note that if I go with the Sony I'll probably be getting the A model since it's cheaper, so please take pricing into account as well.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #8,559 of 12,862
Okay so I have a couple questions on my mind.

Does anyone know if the ZX300A also gets the 2.01 update like the ZX300 does?

I know this is subjective, but do the sound enhancements improve SQ? If they do, what settings are reccommended?

Should I get the ZX300 or the SR15? They both seem real nice but I'm not sure which one would be better. I should also note that if I go with the Sony I'll probably be getting the A model since it's cheaper, so please take pricing into account as well.

1) yes - zx300a is just the same as the zx300 physically (only internal storage is different) - I have it, and I'm on 2.01
2) up to you to judge really - try and see what you like :) (I mostly don't use anything, myself - the vynil simulator sometimes is nice)
3) can't help you there, unfortunately - never heard the SR15

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #8,560 of 12,862
1) yes - zx300a is just the same as the zx300 physically (only internal storage is different) - I have it, and I'm on 2.01
2) up to you to judge really - try and see what you like :) (I mostly don't use anything, myself - the vynil simulator sometimes is nice)
3) can't help you there, unfortunately - never heard the SR15

Thanks for your input! Hopefully someone else here has had listening experience with both DAPs.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #8,562 of 12,862
Looking for some help on how to get the zx300 to work with my schist modi multibit? I bought the nwh10 cable but it does not send any data to the dac. Any suggestion would be appreciated.thanks

Supposedly, it doesn't. The Sony does not have digital line out, just analog via headphone out. I asked everyone including Sony directly and all I got was no's.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #8,563 of 12,862
Supposedly, it doesn't. The Sony does not have digital line out, just analog via headphone out. I asked everyone including Sony directly and all I got was now's.

Shane D
Damn isn't that a bit ridiculous? When I saw dudes question I thought that was the case but didn't feel like looking it up to confirm it. But yeah that's kinda crazy it can't do that. So I guess bluetooth is your only option if you want to play music on something besides headphones??

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #8,565 of 12,862
Damn isn't that a bit ridiculous? When I saw dudes question I thought that was the case but didn't feel like looking it up to confirm it. But yeah that's kinda crazy it can't do that. So I guess bluetooth is your only option if you want to play music on something besides headphones??

Maybe that's why they added Bluetooth. When I was comparing this to a Fiio X7ii one of the differences was the line out option. I hadn't really thought about it much back then, but now I do.

I liked the stability and familiarity of Sony so I stayed with them. However, in hindsight, Line Out and changeable amps look pretty sexy now.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back