Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 7, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #8,296 of 12,862
Is the Sony case no good?
the screen door might be annoying and get in the way i imagine :/
There is a design probably with the Sony case.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #8,297 of 12,862
I mean the 7200 is about as easy to power as Apple Earpods so I don't see why not? I mean right? Aren't they rated at like 25-32ohms? The ZX300 should have zero issue with those even out of the SE output.
From reading different threads there are opinions that certain headphones require quite a lot more power than the specs suggest to 'get the driver moving' in order for them to sound decent across the different frequencies. I've experienced this with the XBA-Z5 - they sound a bit overly bassy when powered by adequately specced walkmans eg. ZX100, but really shine and sound quite different when given that extra boost of the ZX300's balanced output, so I always ask.

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #8,298 of 12,862
From reading different threads there are opinions that certain headphones require quite a lot more power than the specs suggest to 'get the driver moving' in order for them to sound decent across the different frequencies. I've experienced this with the XBA-Z5 - they sound a bit overly bassy when powered by adequately specced walkmans eg. ZX100, but really shine and sound quite different when given that extra boost of the ZX300's balanced output, so I always ask.
Oh damn interesting. I thought it was as simple as the impedance rating and that was it! Learn something new everyday I tell yoo!

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #8,299 of 12,862
Oh damn interesting. I thought it was as simple as the impedance rating and that was it! Learn something new everyday I tell yoo!
Yep, and each bit of new knowledge usually makes things just a bit more complicated.
You wish you took the blue pill and just used some cheap ol' earbuds

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #8,301 of 12,862
It plays better than ZX100? or no difference?
Balanced from ZX300 it sounds awesome - ZX100 not powerful enough

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #8,303 of 12,862
how about low impedence IEM or Headphones, any difference in sound quality, if yes, how?
I have little to no understanding about these things - my only experience was wanting to upgrade from my old XBA-A3 to the Z5 and following advice on the Z5 thread, then experiencing what I had read.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #8,304 of 12,862
Got my ZX300A from joybuy. A few hrs in, I dont feel any regret for selling my NW1A. Only used the 4.4mm on both.

Pros:
light, small, second to non build quality, sound fantastic. USB dac, LDAC bluetooth receiver, long battery life.

Cons:
No wifi, as in 1a and 1z too, meaning no native streaming.
I'm fine with the button volume adjust, but some might feel lacking a knob is a deal breaker.
What's all that like 35% waste of screen estate? I mean, sure no wifi so the screen is not played much.. but it's like a justified con due to another con rendering it's useless otherwise..
I guess the digital amping approach means there's no conventionally defined DAC and amp stage as they are inseparable? But I wish it had a well implemented un-amped line-out option.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #8,305 of 12,862
hey folks. i am using Andromedas, going High Gain over balanced output. Fantastic pairing - albeit the battery consumption leaves a lot to be desired. My ears are not that discerning, so is there any real benefit with enabling High Gain, considering these are just IEMs?
I'm mostly looking to squeeze the most battery usage from the DAP.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #8,306 of 12,862
hey folks. i am using Andromedas, going High Gain over balanced output. Fantastic pairing - albeit the battery consumption leaves a lot to be desired. My ears are not that discerning, so is there any real benefit with enabling High Gain, considering these are just IEMs?
Try low gain and see which you like better. No two setups are exact, nor are peoples ears and preferences the same, so trial and error is really the only way to determine if "you" will like one or the other. Otherwise, we could have a blanket recommendation that everybody follows, and there is no need for anybody to try, or make decisions. If that is what people want, I would like to sell them a bridge first, and then I will give directives on what to buy.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #8,307 of 12,862
Early in the thread it was deemed by a few people that high gain was better(?) so I just went with high gain figuring that as my XBA-Z5 seemed to benefit from the balanced outputs increased power over the single ended output high gain would be best.
My battery life is a lot less than what others seem to get, even with them using high gain, but I had always thought the high gain was better so left it on.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #8,308 of 12,862
I can't wait to use the balanced on mine. Just I am spinning around trying to work out which balanced cable to buy. I don't want to use a less quality cable than comes with single ended on my AKG N40. That's all my criteria is. Although I'd be very interested for an even better quality cable if I was sure.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #8,309 of 12,862
I can't wait to use the balanced on mine. Just I am spinning around trying to work out which balanced cable to buy. I don't want to use a less quality cable than comes with single ended on my AKG N40. That's all my criteria is. Although I'd be very interested for an even better quality cable if I was sure.

I'd go with Null Audio. Whichever is their cheapest cable. I have the N40 and I use their 4.4mm Pentaconn cable with them and it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back