Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #7,981 of 12,862
mate
so you are saying I won't be satisfied !:triportsad:
Depending on where you are. If you are coming from an iPhone sound quality, the ZX300 will demolish it. If you have a mid-end desktop system then the answer will be a no but you likely will stay impress with how great of a sound one can get from such a small package.

but guys which DAP chip use these sony walkman ?
Do some reading on it. This is a S-Master chip not a DAC chip. The way digital amplifier operate differs from traditional analog amplifier. You should do a search on how a digital amp operates.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #7,982 of 12,862
Man I'm interested in stacking the zx300 with this orioulus Ba300s tube amp. Has anyone here tried it by any chance? Looms pretty sweet and isn't that expensive really.
I just had a listen at the Shanghai Canjam. Bear in mind it was my first time hearing the ZX300 too, and very difficult to volume match the output in the circumstances.

The B300S added more body to the sound, giving it a bigger, more full, sound. There’s no volume control on the B300S so it just provides a fixed amplification with the volume controlled by the ZX300. Quite a bit more power with the B300S - with the IEMs they had at the stand I had the volume straight from the 4.4mm out of the ZX300 at 80 something, but down around 30 something with the B300S added in. From the brief listen I had I kinda preferred the B300S sound - but again, difficult to get the same volume to compare, I had to plug in/unplug the B300S, switch the IEM plug and turn the volume right down so as to not blow my hearing, then start playback and ramp up the volume to try and match what it was at before.

The two stacked very well, they’re basically the same size and the big bottom section on the ZX300 without the screen leaves plenty of room for a band without getting in the way of controlling the ZX300.

There’s a review on headfonics: https://headfonics.com/2018/10/oriolus-b300s-review/

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #7,983 of 12,862
Actually I should add that while here in Shanghai I picked up a ZX300A, in person from the Sony store.

What amazes me here in Shanghai is how hands-on the stores are: big Apple stores where people just pile in and try everything. Ditto with the Sony store - they just have everything available for you to sit down (or stand given how packed the place can get) plug in your own headphones/IEMs, throw in your own microSD card, play around.

I could hear a difference between the ZX300 and WM1A, and the WM1Z is another step up - but at 10 times the price of the ZX300A!

They also had a TH-1ES (or whatever it’s called) paired with the Z1R. I couldn’t play my own tracks with it, as it seems the WM1Z (feeding the TH1ES) can’t act as a Bluetooth receiver and output via the WM port at the same time, and the microSD card I had wasn’t recognized. But from the demo tracks they had it’s a great combination.

The bad news is I can’t use the ZX300A until I get home in a few weeks: my microSD card isn’t in the right format or something, and out of the box it doesn’t have the 2.0 firmware update so I can’t connect with my phone via Bluetooth. Don’t have a laptop with me to play around with updates either. Oh well, I’m on holiday for a few weeks so will have fun with it when I’m home :)

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7,984 of 12,862
Actually I should add that while here in Shanghai I picked up a ZX300A, in person from the Sony store.

What amazes me here in Shanghai is how hands-on the stores are: big Apple stores where people just pile in and try everything. Ditto with the Sony store - they just have everything available for you to sit down (or stand given how packed the place can get) plug in your own headphones/IEMs, throw in your own microSD card, play around.

I could hear a difference between the ZX300 and WM1A, and the WM1Z is another step up - but at 10 times the price of the ZX300A!

They also had a TH-1ES (or whatever it’s called) paired with the Z1R. I couldn’t play my own tracks with it, as it seems the WM1Z (feeding the TH1ES) can’t act as a Bluetooth receiver and output via the WM port at the same time, and the microSD card I had wasn’t recognized. But from the demo tracks they had it’s a great combination.

The bad news is I can’t use the ZX300A until I get home in a few weeks: my microSD card isn’t in the right format or something, and out of the box it doesn’t have the 2.0 firmware update so I can’t connect with my phone via Bluetooth. Don’t have a laptop with me to play around with updates either. Oh well, I’m on holiday for a few weeks so will have fun with it when I’m home :)
Not sure it is about the same but coming from a Ibasso DX200, I had to create a music folder on my SD card and put all my music inside. It is a Sony thing btw.

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #7,985 of 12,862
I got an email from Joybuy and there is a Sandisk 400gb microsd card for $66.99 - I know they're good for the Sony Walkmans they sell, but do you think these Sandisk cards are the real deal?

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #7,986 of 12,862
I got an email from Joybuy and there is a Sandisk 400gb microsd card for $66.99 - I know they're good for the Sony Walkmans they sell, but do you think these Sandisk cards are the real deal?
I am sure they are the real deal, I've bought many sandisks and samsungs from aliexpress the last couple of years and all have been genuine. I have one 400gb already (from amazon, was around 100$), considering one more. Thanks for tip

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #7,987 of 12,862
I am sure they are the real deal, I've bought many sandisks and samsungs from aliexpress the last couple of years and all have been genuine. I have one 400gb already (from amazon, was around 100$), considering one more. Thanks for tip
Thanks, I'm just a bit cautious as there are even recent stories of people having purchased from Amazon (not 3rd party) and received fakes (which Amazon replaced).
Has anyone actually purchased an SD card from Joybuy?

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #7,988 of 12,862
I've ordered one now. You can get the price down to 57$ if you create a new account, get the 5$ coupon for new users and pay with paypal. Also (always!), when using paypal and your native currency is not dollars select that your card provider should do the currency exchange, that will keep paypal from charging an extra 3-4% on the currency rate

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,989 of 12,862
I've ordered one now. You can get the price down to 57$ if you create a new account, get the 5$ coupon for new users and pay with paypal. Also (always!), when using paypal and your native currency is not dollars select that your card provider should do the currency exchange, that will keep paypal from charging an extra 3-4% on the currency rate
Thanks for that tip! I've always pondered which is the best way to save - got stung with a double fee once.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #7,990 of 12,862
Thanks for that tip! I've always pondered which is the best way to save - got stung with a double fee once.
At least I've read it many times, and tested it to be just below 4% saved for paypal with my currency.

Its the same if you travel and are to pay a restaurant bill, and you can choose between paying in local currency or your home currency. Always select the local currency (= sellers currency), that way your card providers exchange rates will be used, and they are by far the best for you.

I've tested it on amazon too, same thing if you order from some other country (yes, you can select whether amazon or your bank should do the conversion).

And note that these webshops often try to scare you by saying that it will be veeery uncertain what the total amount will be, if you use your card providers rate. True it may be uncertain but certainly much cheaper than using the webshops rate. Unless you have some really strange card provider, in which case you should get another one.

But you can just take a note of the sum in your own currency, pay in sellers currence and then check your bank account when the money has been withdrawn, and calculate the exact difference.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #7,991 of 12,862
My player just rebooted itself for no reason? I was about three hours into my listening session and groovin' with Dave Brubeck. Still showing two bars of power.

Rebooted fine and went back to song that was playing. I just had to hit play to resume.

Not sure what happened. My micro sdcard is getting pretty full, but still shows 5.38GB free. It is a 128GB card.

Shane D

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,992 of 12,862
Just purchased a zx300A....(have had a Sony NWZ-A17 for a few years. Anyway....I'm liking the unit so far..shoved my other sd card it to play a bit. Any consensus on a case? I use an igadgit zcase for the old dap which worked out well..but they only offer the silicon skin for the 300. I see the Miter case...and then the Sony for around 80 bucks. I don'y plan on taking this on road trips...(will use the A17 for that...might just get the silicon cover. Any thoughts?

edit..I see igadgitz offers a shell as well. Hmmmm.

Bern

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #7,993 of 12,862
Just purchased a zx300A....(have had a Sony NWZ-A17 for a few years. Anyway....I'm liking the unit so far..shoved my other sd card it to play a bit. Any consensus on a case? I use an igadgit zcase for the old dap which worked out well..but they only offer the silicon skin for the 300. I see the Miter case...and then the Sony for around 80 bucks. I don'y plan on taking this on road trips...(will use the A17 for that...might just get the silicon cover. Any thoughts?

Bern
I had the cheap-as-chips igadgitz case for my A17 and my ZX100 - very good regardless of price, especially compared to $ony's offering.
As the ZX300 is a more premium device you may want to get the shell to have the added protection.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #7,994 of 12,862

Bern

I really like this case although it does not offer protection for the top. Not a big deal as I never take it outside. I love the look and feel.

I also have the Sony case. It is very nice, but expensive.

20181110_160241.jpg

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back