Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #7,696 of 12,862
I think it will not be soon to listen to this player in the store and then I'll write a review.
bo.gif

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #7,698 of 12,862
Had my ZX300 for a few months and love it although recently I've started looking at the WM1A. I was hoping to audition one this week, but unfortunately that's failed to materialise.

I've read a number of articles/reviews about the WM1A. Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right to think that the sound of the WM1A isn't as full as the ZX300? For those that have used both devices, which has the hardest low end slam, better soundstage etc? My first thoughts were that the WM1A would be better in every way and the price tag would reflect that, but it appears that the sound signatures may be very different unless I'm misunderstanding?

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #7,699 of 12,862
Had my ZX300 for a few months and love it although recently I've started looking at the WM1A. I was hoping to audition one this week, but unfortunately that's failed to materialise.

I've read a number of articles/reviews about the WM1A. Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right to think that the sound of the WM1A isn't as full as the ZX300? For those that have used both devices, which has the hardest low end slam, better soundstage etc? My first thoughts were that the WM1A would be better in every way and the price tag would reflect that, but it appears that the sound signatures may be very different unless I'm misunderstanding?
The balanced output does sound identical to the ZX300 balanced. Many people I spoke with said this and I myself agree with that too, tho the single-ended does sound better on the WM1A. Main selling point for someone should be the bigger screen and the more premium feel, not the sound quality (at least out of the balanced, if you are a heavy single ended user it might be worth it). I would recommend the WM1A to anyone that wants the nicer screen and better feel, but its not worth owning both a ZX300 and a WM1A imho.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #7,700 of 12,862
The balanced output does sound identical to the ZX300 balanced. Many people I spoke with said this and I myself agree with that too, tho the single-ended does sound better on the WM1A. Main selling point for someone should be the bigger screen and the more premium feel, not the sound quality (at least out of the balanced, if you are a heavy single ended user it might be worth it). I would recommend the WM1A to anyone that wants the nicer screen and better feel, but its not worth owning both a ZX300 and a WM1A imho.

Yeah i only use the zx300 in balanced. Don't even think I've ever used the SE port on it. I have no intention owning both players. If I moved to the WM1A then I would sell the zx300.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #7,701 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 and WM1A and found that the WM1A has a larger soundstage with more details then the ZX300. This was using the CA Vega in Balanced mode. It's been awhile since I listened to them and don't remember off the top of my head if there was a difference in low end slam. Regardless I felt the WM1A was a huge upgrade over the ZX300.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #7,702 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 and WM1A and found that the WM1A has a larger soundstage with more details then the ZX300. This was using the CA Vega in Balanced mode. It's been awhile since I listened to them and don't remember off the top of my head if there was a difference in low end slam. Regardless I felt the WM1A was a huge upgrade over the ZX300.

Could it be that if you can’t recall any difference in the low end then maybe they are the same or very similar? A ZX300 with bigger soundstage and richness is kind of what I’d be looking for.

I can see from your sig that you have the trio. Would you say the 1Z sounds noticeably fuller than zx300 in balanced mode?

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #7,703 of 12,862
You are probably right, the low end could be very similar. I should go back and do a side by side comparison of all 3 players.

To me the WM1Z sounds significantly better than the WM1A in regards to details and low end slam. Also with the WM1Z I feel the soundstage is the same width but much deeper, more 3 dimensional.

I originally bought the ZX300 to use for commuting on the train and the WM1Z was for serious listening when traveling long distances or at home. But the difference was so large that I ended giving the ZX300 to the wife to replace her OPUS#1. The WM1Z isn't practical to use commuting so I bought the WM1A to use for that and when I'm at my desk at work. It's not that much larger or heavier than the ZX300 and gives me a lot of what I was missing compared to what I was hearing on the WM1Z.

So to me the ZX300 is much better than my OPUS#2 and costs half the price. The WM1A is a best buy, as it's the same cost as the OPUS#2 but in a different league in regards to sound, better details, bigger soundstage and a better low end. But if you only want one player, don't mind it's weight and can afford it, the WM1Z is the end game.

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #7,705 of 12,862
You are probably right, the low end could be very similar. I should go back and do a side by side comparison of all 3 players.

To me the WM1Z sounds significantly better than the WM1A in regards to details and low end slam. Also with the WM1Z I feel the soundstage is the same width but much deeper, more 3 dimensional.

I originally bought the ZX300 to use for commuting on the train and the WM1Z was for serious listening when traveling long distances or at home. But the difference was so large that I ended giving the ZX300 to the wife to replace her OPUS#1. The WM1Z isn't practical to use commuting so I bought the WM1A to use for that and when I'm at my desk at work. It's not that much larger or heavier than the ZX300 and gives me a lot of what I was missing compared to what I was hearing on the WM1Z.

So to me the ZX300 is much better than my OPUS#2 and costs half the price. The WM1A is a best buy, as it's the same cost as the OPUS#2 but in a different league in regards to sound, better details, bigger soundstage and a better low end. But if you only want one player, don't mind it's weight and can afford it, the WM1Z is the end game.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If money was no object then i’d be straight out to get the 1Z. That said I think i certainly need to get my hands on the 1A.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #7,708 of 12,862
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been answered.
Has there been any announcement/speculation of a new successor to the ZX300? I'm thinking of picking up one of these soon.
I'm just wondering if I should wait just in case there's a new model round the corner.
Thanks! :)

Sony just announced the ZX300G which is a ZX300 but with 128G storage that will come out in a couple of weeks in Japan, if they just refreshed the device that probably means Sony thinks the basic design still has some legs left so it seems unlikely a successor will be announced any time soon.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #7,710 of 12,862
Only a rumor, I spoken to the local Sony center, one of the Sony staff at the press conference during the release of the new IEM asked about any new DAP, apart from the ZX300G, they have been rather quiet, and say no new release any time soon.
All they did say, is the ZX300 is small and compact welcome by many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back