Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #7,666 of 12,862
FYI, sony has degraded the SE, if you want the hear the best out of the ZX300, you need balanced, if you IEM has MMCX, you can get cheap balanced cables from ebay, aliexpress etc., for about USD45

I did some googling. THE AKG N40 website makes no mention of balanced cables or balanced compatibility. However I found links straight away that refer to the N40 being OK for balanced. For instance the AKG N40 page on Head-Fi (good start or what). https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-n40.815017/

This review implied that the N40 have a MMCX cable in the box. Not sure about that though, because it would be listed on the AKG N40 webpage. http://majorhifi.com/akg-n40-review/

That really would be a step forward for me with the ZX300. However I really mean it when I say I love the ZX300 as it is.

Right now I am using EAC to rip more CDs for it. (I am re-ripping because some of my existing and older old rips were done using Media Go, ages ago. That's not Accurip.) Therefor making an EAC Rips full folder. .......... Thank you for the help folks. I have got handy with MP3tags now. It means I have to remove the dueting artist name from tags. Meaning Bryan Adams and Tina Turner now shows up as Tina Turner on the ZX300. However the track name still shows up with the other artists in JRiver I think. Will check that later.

(EDIT: You'll have to be patient with me. I am new to 'balanced'. THE AKG N40 webpage does talk about balanced armature drivers. I thought that meant balanced tonally.)

Quote from AKG website.
"High-Resolution audio playback perfected

N40 features a hybrid driver system that includes a Knowles® balanced armature and dynamic driver. The carefully selected combination of both drivers allows you to enjoy High-Resolution audio content from your music devices, just as musicians and engineers intended it when working in the studio."

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #7,668 of 12,862
The N40 uses MMCX connectors so you will be able to find lots of cable options.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #7,670 of 12,862
You know I am wondering if either of the cables that come with the AKG N40 are balanced. They put a balanced armature driver in it. ... (Again sorry if I am not right or using wrong terminology. I am a total newbie to the balanced thing.)

It might be worth getting an adapter to see what happens.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #7,671 of 12,862
You know I am wondering if either of the cables that come with the AKG N40 are balanced. They put a balanced armature driver in it. ... (Again sorry if I am not right or using wrong terminology. I am a total newbie to the balanced thing.)

It might be worth getting an adapter to see what happens.
If you want to try balanced with the N40 it's as simple as this (with the 4.4mm jack). Of course, that's just a very entry-level cable - you can spend however much you want to get a better one. But that's an inexpensive way to test balanced out from the ZX300.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #7,672 of 12,862
Have been using ZX300 balanced with my Hyla CE-5 and Sony EX1000 for more than 200hrs burned in.

It sounds good, being really portable, but just not as good as the Chord Mojo to my ears (YMMV). Mojo just have better texture, more 3D imaging to me, especially vocals that I like. Playing mainly in DSD (iPhone with HFPlayer via Mojo) vs ZX300 balanced (with PW No 5 and Hyla CE-5 balanced, and for EX1000 standard 7N cable terminated with 4.4m balanced plug).

In quiet setting at home and work, ZX300 just can't match the sound quality of Mojo and using Mojo in my serious listening. On the move, ZX300 is a good DAP to bring.

You probably know this. Mojo+iPhone is just not as portable as the ZX300, and on the move, ZX300 is a better companion. But I ended up using mainly iphone most of the time on the move, as the sound quality of the ZX300 on the move just can't let you hear much difference vs a standard iPhone anyway.

So for sound quality, Mojo wins for me. For portability, you can consider ZX300, or if you can find a ZX2, I think you may just like the sound of ZX2 more than ZX300. I have both ZX2 (wife is using) and ZX300, and the ZX2 sounds better for vocals. Again, this depends on your preference.

Agree that Mojo does not need a balanced output as it sounds better than most DAP with balanced out, including my ZX300 or my X7II that I have since sold. The only thing I don't like is to stick another cable between the iPhone and Mojo, and having 2 items together kind of defeats the purpose of the lightness and thinness of the iphone. Soundwise, no comparison, whether it is ZX300 or ZX2.

BTW, anyone has any good suggestion for an adapter to convert the 4.4mm balanced plug into a standard 3.5mm stereo male plug? Easier to use a plug on the flight than bringing extra cables to change?

Thank you very much. Done.

Yes I am listening single-ended, with AKG N40 (in ear). I do not have a balanced cable.

It's probably not fair to judge the ZX300 against the Chord Mojo yet, since my ZX300 has only two hours play. Apparently Sony and everyone here recommends 200 hours burn-in.

I did however have a listen to the Mojo last night after posting here. The Mojo is a clear league ahead of the ZX300. That is no criticism, because the Chord Mojo was rated best DAC up to £1000 at one point. Only being bettered by the Chord 2Qute priced £1000.

The ZX300 needs running in, and everyone prefers the balanced performance. .. It's worth noting that Chord do not offer balanced outputs on Mojo or other DACs. It's because the balanced signal is to solve a problem not inherent in Chord DACs. Something to do with how their differently designed DACs are manufactured. Meaning effectively competing against a Mojo is competing against the effect of a balanced sound from any other DAC.

Comparing the Mojo to my two hour run-in ZX300. .......... The Mojo has better timing, and much more grip. More than I expected in comparison. Sounds have more clearly defined edges, and more texture. Adding edges and clarity to notes with the Mojo does not reduce tonality. The Mojo stands with the ZX300 on that, although the ZX300 is just a miniscule-fraction richer sounding.

However I expect the ZX300 to improve, as everyone states it improves on detail level and clarity with burn-in. Once that happens, I expect the ZX300 to be seriously good. Plus going balanced from what I understand improves dynamics and liveliness to, so some better detail and grip.

Again I profess, this is not a criticism of the ZX300. I really wanted a portable music solution. My other portable solutions are iPod Shuffle 3rd gen, at £50. (Good sounding, but not ZX300 sounding. A pain to use though.) Also I have a Pure portable DAB radio, (which sounds surprisingly excellent with my new AKG N40.) .... The ZX300 will provide a better portable sounding solution, with a screen. It can also work as a file source for Mojo or Hugo2.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #7,673 of 12,862
Question, with the new firmware update can I connect the ZX300 to my phone wirelessly and use it as a bluetooth amp for my Z1Rs?

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #7,674 of 12,862
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #7,675 of 12,862
Have been using ZX300 balanced with my Hyla CE-5 and Sony EX1000 for more than 200hrs burned in.

It sounds good, being really portable, but just not as good as the Chord Mojo to my ears (YMMV). Mojo just have better texture, more 3D imaging to me, especially vocals that I like. Playing mainly in DSD (iPhone with HFPlayer via Mojo) vs ZX300 balanced (with PW No 5 and Hyla CE-5 balanced, and for EX1000 standard 7N cable terminated with 4.4m balanced plug).

In quiet setting at home and work, ZX300 just can't match the sound quality of Mojo and using Mojo in my serious listening. On the move, ZX300 is a good DAP to bring.

You probably know this. Mojo+iPhone is just not as portable as the ZX300, and on the move, ZX300 is a better companion. But I ended up using mainly iphone most of the time on the move, as the sound quality of the ZX300 on the move just can't let you hear much difference vs a standard iPhone anyway.

So for sound quality, Mojo wins for me. For portability, you can consider ZX300, or if you can find a ZX2, I think you may just like the sound of ZX2 more than ZX300. I have both ZX2 (wife is using) and ZX300, and the ZX2 sounds better for vocals. Again, this depends on your preference.

Agree that Mojo does not need a balanced output as it sounds better than most DAP with balanced out, including my ZX300 or my X7II that I have since sold. The only thing I don't like is to stick another cable between the iPhone and Mojo, and having 2 items together kind of defeats the purpose of the lightness and thinness of the iphone. Soundwise, no comparison, whether it is ZX300 or ZX2.

BTW, anyone has any good suggestion for an adapter to convert the 4.4mm balanced plug into a standard 3.5mm stereo male plug? Easier to use a plug on the flight than bringing extra cables to change?
You have many cheap options from Amazon or eBay, if you want the go the expensive way, go for the Musashino Label.

BTW I agree, about the ZX2, I think It sounds better that the ZX300, but as said, it's all personal preference.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #7,677 of 12,862

The Mojo would only potentially be a better option if the Poly was faultless. Had it been perfect I would probably have one already. (It may be worth trying a Poly, if you're prepared to have to return one.) The Poly has been a bit of a disaster for Chord. I personally do not own a smartphone to drive a Poly, but any old cheap fully functioning phone will do. (I need to get one though, to get a decent phone/camera.)

The ZX300 wins out for battery life though. Plus as you say, for on the go, it's sound quality is fine. That's how I find it, even with only twelve hours running-time, and only the single ended port. .......... A Mojo - Poly would mean charging almost every time you came home. It would mean disconnecting the Poly from Mojo, if you wanted Mojo to use elsewhere. (Like maybe on a PC.)

I think the a Poly would be a viable option is if you were lucky and got a faultless one. There are people totally happy with their Poly, so Chord got it right somewhere. ... However all things said, I think I might still prefer to use the ZX300. I bought mine for £450, and that is half the price of a Mojo - Poly. Were I to lose the Mojo Poly, I would be distressed. Battery life also matters to me. ZX300 is perfectly adequate to me. (Seriously adequate.) ..... Therefore I bought a ZX300 and not a Poly.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #7,678 of 12,862
I want to add after my last post though, just how good this ZX300 is sounding right now. Even with Mojo and Hugo 2 sat next to me at my desk, I am listening via ZX300.

The sound changed quite a bit during the first twelve hours. At first the ZX300 sounded off tonally, and sounded a bit lower quality. Making some sounds literally sound not right, compared to how I had heard them before in music. Once I had heard a sound, 'sound wrong', the music did not flow into the next sound properly. A sort of effect of thinking to the artist, "really, you ran that sound after that one". ....... Also all this thinking made the music not flow. I couldn't just let the music play away, without being in a conversation with it.

Now, however, this has improved quite a lot. That is why I have said the music has become more cohesive. It's more together, flowing, and cleaner in tonality.

I think though that the synergy with these AKG N40 is doing a lot. There is something very good about them. I wrote about the AKG N40 in the Mojo and Hugo 2 threads. I was saying that the synergy they had with both Mojo and Hugo 2, was something else. For the price I honestly believe you could not find a better in-ear. They are straight down the middle of the road in terms of all audio qualities. Tonal balance between bass and treble, not thin - not thick sounding, smooth and stunning, with detail and excellent resolve.

Honestly my ZX300 sounds purrrfecct. .......... If it improves in sound by 200 hours, what is not to like, since I already like it now?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,679 of 12,862
I want to add after my last post though, just how good this ZX300 is sounding right now. Even with Mojo and Hugo 2 sat next to me at my desk, I am listening via ZX300.

The sound changed quite a bit during the first twelve hours. At first the ZX300 sounded off tonally, and sounded a bit lower quality. Making some sounds literally sound not right, compared to how I had heard them before in music. Once I had heard a sound, 'sound wrong', the music did not flow into the next sound properly. A sort of effect of thinking to the artist, "really, you ran that sound after that one". ....... Also all this thinking made the music not flow. I couldn't just let the music play away, without being in a conversation with it.

Now, however, this is fixed, and that is why I am saying the music is becoming more cohesive. It's more together, flowing, and cleaner in tonality.

I think though that the synergy with these AKG N40 is doing a lot. There is something very good about them. I wrote about the AKG N40 in the Mojo and Hugo 2 threads. I was saying that the synergy they had with both Mojo and Hugo 2, was something else. For the price I honestly believe you could not find a better in-ear. They are straight down the middle of the road in terms of all audio qualities. Tonal balance between bass and treble, not thin - not thick sounding, smooth and stunning, and with detail and good resolve.

Honestly my ZX300 sounds purrrfecct. .......... If it improves in sound by 200 hours, what is not to like, since I like it now?
You should seriously consider getting a balanced 4.4mm cable off Aliexpress

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #7,680 of 12,862
Tried to pair my Astell&Kern T8ie MKII with zx300, and to be honest, it is not a good idea even if switching to 4.4 balance output. I can't tell the difference between the two ports. However, ak320 does has a great improvement when switching 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced output.
I think the reason is that the zx300 is tune for more bass and the T8ie MKII is also more bass tuning than the Xelento which makes it worse.
Actually this is the combo I'm using now and to my ears it's perfect, also heard improvement from SE to Balanced but that also involved cable swap and my balanced had many more hours of burn in already.
I like the extra bass, very controlled and powerful for such a small IEM. I know the AK players are meant to be more thin hence the AK version of the Xelento was tuned a bit warmer but I prefer a warmer sound so long as it doesn't loose detail across the other frequencies.
So I'd say there's nothing wrong with the combo but depending on your tone preference it might not match. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back