Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #7,141 of 12,862
This was mentioned on the rockbox tool page ..

Sound pressure regulation (SPS): When ON, the volume is supposed to be capped; when OFF, uncapped. On recent models, this setting does not usually have an effect, you need to select an "uncapped" destination code (see table below).

So if you only checked the sps is off, it might not be in effect, you can also check is your region uncapped or capped from the table.

Thanks for this! I'll go back and check after work today. I hope that you are correct and that, in effect, my unit is still capped.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #7,142 of 12,862
Thanks for this! I'll go back and check after work today. I hope that you are correct and that, in effect, my unit is still capped.
On current units, the destination itself is what determines whether or not the unit's software is volume capped (that does not mean the hardware itself isn't), typically if you see your destination as CEW or CEW2 the software is volume capped.

Other destinations such as J (Japan), U (USA), or E (International "tourist") are not volume capped (although the E destination does not officially exist for the ZX-300 as no Tourist/international version of this unit is being sold).

J is the "best" region as it allows to create playlists on the device and allows ATRAC support (not that I actually listen to ATRAC tracks myself, but I won't say no to more features), which other regions do not, it however hides the language change settings (you aren't supposed to switch from the Japanese language to another on Japanese units).
Of course you can switch to E, change the language then switch back to J as only the option menu is actually hidden.

Of course switching the destination will only remove a software volume cap, but if there is a hardware volume cap (as I suspect), changing the destination won't remove that.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #7,143 of 12,862
The ZX300 goes plenty loud for me and that with the HD800. Is it able drive the HD800 as good as satisfying as a full-sized amp, that will be a no. Still, it is a player of choice for me because my 1Z is a little too heavy and chunky to carry around.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #7,144 of 12,862
On current units, the destination itself is what determines whether or not the unit's software is volume capped (that does not mean the hardware itself isn't), typically if you see your destination as CEW or CEW2 the software is volume capped.

Other destinations such as J (Japan), U (USA), or E (International "tourist") are not volume capped (although the E destination does not officially exist for the ZX-300 as no Tourist/international version of this unit is being sold).

J is the "best" region as it allows to create playlists on the device and allows ATRAC support (not that I actually listen to ATRAC tracks myself, but I won't say no to more features), which other regions do not, it however hides the language change settings (you aren't supposed to switch from the Japanese language to another on Japanese units).
Of course you can switch to E, change the language then switch back to J as only the option menu is actually hidden.

Of course switching the destination will only remove a software volume cap, but if there is a hardware volume cap (as I suspect), changing the destination won't remove that.
Although Japan hasn't official released the tourist version, it actually exist, the Hong Kong version is the international/tourist version which is uncapped to destination E, some other countries also used the same destination E countries code.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #7,145 of 12,862
The ZX300 goes plenty loud for me and that with the HD800. Is it able drive the HD800 as good as satisfying as a full-sized amp, that will be a no. Still, it is a player of choice for me because my 1Z is a little too heavy and chunky to carry around.

I still think the 1A far superior in built quality against the ZX300, I can't comment on the SQ, as I only tested it out with the old firmware in which the sound is too heavy on bass and the SQ is quite layed back, but I'm sure the SQ with the new firmware is very similar to the ZX300, but with minor differences and does not justify the price differences.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #7,146 of 12,862
Although Japan hasn't official released the tourist version, it actually exist, the Hong Kong version is the international/tourist version which is uncapped to destination E, some other countries also used the same destination E countries code.
Yes, Australia and New Zealand use the E destination, but none of those units, including the HK version, officially benefit from international warranty.
Which makes my point stand, the reason no official tourist version exist for this unit, is because the logic board is different in Europe and Sony doesn't want to stock up European service centers with the uncapped board when the market share for tourist versions of walkmans is negligible in quantity.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #7,147 of 12,862
I still think the 1A far superior in built quality against the ZX300, I can't comment on the SQ, as I only tested it out with the old firmware in which the sound is too heavy on bass and the SQ is quite layed back, but I'm sure the SQ with the new firmware is very similar to the ZX300, but with minor differences and does not justify the price differences.
The WM-1A (on firmware 2.00 and onward) and the ZX300 sound identical on both SE and Balanced once burned in (the ZX300's SE sounds noticeably worse before burn in however), the ZX300 has actually been engineered with that goal in mind, anything else is the placebo effect or slight variations between units.
Older firmware versions of the WM-1A do have a different sound signature however, the ZX300 firmware (even on 1.00) is using the new "improved" sound presets used in the WM-1A's 2.00 firmware.

That said, I do agree that the build quality of the WM-1A appears to be more premium than the one of the ZX300, the screen is also bigger/better than the one of the ZX300, then again this is, first and foremost, a Digital Audio Player, so I personally don't care too much about such details.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #7,148 of 12,862
Yes, Australia and New Zealand use the E destination, but none of those units, including the HK version, officially benefit from international warranty.
Which makes my point stand, the reason no official tourist version exist for this unit, is because the logic board is different in Europe and Sony doesn't want to stock up European service centers with the uncapped board when the market share for tourist versions of walkmans is negligible in quantity.
Sony Japan didn't release the ZX300 as a tourist version for the reason that they know the sales will outperforms that of the 1A/1Z, they know at the price point it will be a big hit, and want to keep record of sales in different region, they also know about the rockbox mod, along with the already established regional warranty.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #7,149 of 12,862
The WM-1A (on firmware 2.00 and onward) and the ZX300 sound identical on both SE and Balanced once burned in (the ZX300's SE sounds noticeably worse before burn in however), the ZX300 has actually been engineered with that goal in mind, anything else is the placebo effect or slight variations between units.
Older firmware versions of the WM-1A do have a different sound signature however, the ZX300 firmware (even on 1.00) is using the new "improved" sound presets used in the WM-1A's 2.00 firmware.

That said, I do agree that the build quality of the WM-1A appears to be more premium than the one of the ZX300, the screen is also bigger/better than the one of the ZX300, then again this is, first and foremost, a Digital Audio Player, so I personally don't care too much about such details.
Sony made the SE worst on the ZX300 in order to force people to adopt the 4.4mm standard, and I'm sure this will also happens on future players. The 4.4 mm standard will be the standard in the future, and I'm sure some day AK will adopt it when other player starts using it, along with all the headphones companies.

I also have the ZX300 Japanese version and I'm still using the first firmware since release, but I still like my ZX2 more.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #7,151 of 12,862
The package tracking page cheerfully says my ZX300 was delivered yesterday but I definitely don't have it yet!:triportsad:

Hopefully not AWOL like @someyoungguy's

Sometimes it happens with shipments by post. Wait for your receipt. Better check with your nearest post office with the tracking number. Online tracking aren't accurate always.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #7,153 of 12,862
For those here wanting to try the balanced connection without huge outlay, this 8 braid spc cable with 4.4mm balanced jack is available direct from China for £25. The same cable is on Amazon (UK) for £46.

IMG_6580.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #7,154 of 12,862
There was a slight mishap with the address and it ended up at a building across the road but I'm happy to say I now have it in my hands and since it seemed come from China via the Netherlands I bypassed any import duty.

Look forward to playing with it later!
good to know finally you got it!

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #7,155 of 12,862
There was a slight mishap with the address and it ended up at a building across the road but I'm happy to say I now have it in my hands and since it seemed come from China via the Netherlands I bypassed any import duty.

Look forward to playing with it later!
I'm glad you got it, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back