Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #7,171 of 12,862
Before Sony NZ decided to stock it I got mine when I was in Japan (actually ordered from Accessory Jack because I wanted english). I doubt JBHifi would stock the ZX300 but the Sylvia Park Sony store should have it - if you're lucky they'll have it on special. Check instore at JB though as their website can be a bit lacking. There's a used one on Trademe at the moment if you want to save some $$

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #7,172 of 12,862
Before Sony NZ decided to stock it I got mine when I was in Japan (actually ordered from Accessory Jack because I wanted english). I doubt JBHifi would stock the ZX300 but the Sylvia Park Sony store should have it - if you're lucky they'll have it on special. Check instore at JB though as their website can be a bit lacking. There's a used one on Trademe at the moment if you want to save some $$

oh ok will take a look, where do u get your audio gear in AKL?

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #7,173 of 12,862
Hi, just updated to 1.1 firmware. I see the 'CUE Sheets' menu has been added. But when go to the list of cue sheets available, any file I try to open, it says "no songs available". Are these CUE sheets need to be in any specific config? How can I play directly CUE sheets to split whole Flac tracks? They works fine on my Win10 with VLC player.

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #7,175 of 12,862
Finally had a chance to listen to my new ZX300.:L3000: Does it have to create its database every time it turns on? It takes quite a while with a fully loaded 400GB card.:triportsad:

DRz1Gvs.jpg

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #7,176 of 12,862
Finally had a chance to listen to my new ZX300.:L3000: Does it have to create its database every time it turns on? It takes quite a while with a fully loaded 400GB card.:triportsad:

DRz1Gvs.jpg
Nope, not every single time.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #7,178 of 12,862
Mine creates db with every power on as well. I only use a 200GB about 1/3 full so time is not an issue. I can see this being a problem as Shamrock mentioned for a full 400GB which I plan to do soon too.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #7,179 of 12,862
Finally had a chance to listen to my new ZX300.:L3000: Does it have to create its database every time it turns on? It takes quite a while with a fully loaded 400GB card.

Mine does the same... workaround is just don't power it off, just turn it it off while leaving it in standby... I don't see any appreciable battery depreciation, that way. At least, that's what I do :)

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #7,180 of 12,862
I have no idea how it works in the device but In my mind, once the database is "created" following changes (i.e adding songs) it shouldn't need to be re-created until there are further changes? I'll have to remember to turn it on several minutes before I intend to use it! :/

Mine does the same... workaround is just don't power it off, just turn it it off while leaving it in standby... I don't see any appreciable battery depreciation, that way. At least, that's what I do :)

So you disable 'Auto Power Off' ?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #7,181 of 12,862
The ZX100 used to power off automatically after 24 hours if it hadn't been used, I don't know about the ZX300

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #7,183 of 12,862
Disable auto database update. And you didn’t need to turn the unit off if you don’t want to turn off auto off and it will go into standby automatically after use.
I can't seem to find that setting - Japanese only setting maybe?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #7,184 of 12,862
Can I use the cable BCR-NWH10 straight into an amp like the Hafler HA75 (it's only an amp, it has no dac)? It doesn't have a DAC. Or would I need to connect the cable BCR-NWH10 into a dac first and then run a cable from the dac to the Hafler HA75? I'm looking for an amp/dac to stay with me while I upgrade headphones and it has to play nice with sensitive IEMs. For now I'm using the Andromeda, Sony EX1000, Sony xba-n3, Massdrop HD6xx, and Massdrop HD58x. I have only been able to use both Sennheiser with the zx300 and an iMac using balanced output on high gain and unbalanced on the iMac. They get plenty loud on both the zx300 and iMac but given the impedance swing at various frequencies that these headphones have, I wonder if I'm missing anything by using these headphones with just the zx300.

Thanks!
Jon

As I stated in the post you quoted, the BCR-NWH10 enables digital out, including high-res digital out. Digital out means not analog, i.e. the BCR-NWH10 is intended to be used in conjunction with a Sony DAP as transport to a DAC/AMP. You could interject a DAC in between the zx300 and your Hafler amp, but you wouldn't really be listening to the zx300 anymore.

I ended up buying the WM1A and Z1R. They're a great pair. I had thought about the possibility of buying the ZH1ES amp later, and using the WM1A as a transport with the BCR-NWH10 cable, but ended up not buying the cable. I don't really want a stationary place in my house to which all my listening would be anchored. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but if that happens I'll buy a proper source to pair up with a DAC/AMP.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #7,185 of 12,862
As I stated in the post you quoted, the BCR-NWH10 enables digital out, including high-res digital out. Digital out means not analog, i.e. the BCR-NWH10 is intended to be used in conjunction with a Sony DAP as transport to a DAC/AMP. You could interject a DAC in between the zx300 and your Hafler amp, but you wouldn't really be listening to the zx300 anymore.

I ended up buying the WM1A and Z1R. They're a great pair. I had thought about the possibility of buying the ZH1ES amp later, and using the WM1A as a transport with the BCR-NWH10 cable, but ended up not buying the cable. I don't really want a stationary place in my house to which all my listening would be anchored. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but if that happens I'll buy a proper source to pair up with a DAC/AMP.

Thanks! You have clarified my doubt. I didn't know if the digital signal being sent out of the zx300 had to go through an external DAC before an Amp. As I understand it now, if i send the digital signal from the zx300 to an Amp without using an external DAC it would work. if i were to send it to an external DAC and then to an Amp then the zx300 won't impart any of it's character on the sound but the external DAC will.

I am mainly planning on outputting the digital signal from the iMac to the amp or amp/dac. But I also wan't to be able to use the zx300 in a pinch. Sometimes it's easier to navigate on the zx300 than on the computer! So far I'm leaning towards the RME ADI-2 DAC because it is quite powerful for full headphones and it also has a special output for IEM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back