Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #5,536 of 12,862
Did anyone who bought their ZX300 through JoyBuy get tracking in their country?

Yes get a tracking from the joybuy app. My zx300 is still in China(order date 7th march). Live in Germany, so i have to wait 20-30days,till i get more informations in my country hopefully

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #5,537 of 12,862
Yes get a tracking from the joybuy app. My zx300 is still in China(order date 7th march). Live in Germany, so i have to wait 20-30days,till i get more informations in my country hopefully

Yeah mine still says it's in China for 8 days now. I asked if I could change colour but they said it was already shipped so I assumed it was on the way. I looked at the JoyBuy/JD.com reviews (shoulda done that first) and a bit worried now lol.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #5,538 of 12,862
I think they may sellout sooner than later;
Amazon don't direct sells them any more.
The place I bought them no longer sells them.
AU Sony Store no longer sells them.
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z1r/specifications Click Buy

They make the ZX300 sound better than any other IEM or HP I own... EQ can't replicate the effect, and even with the Z1R's I raise the 2 lowest bands.
About the ONLY gripe I have with them is their size, freakin huge; but that also makes them kind of open/airy and they leak.
However they feel very light and I never feel like taking them off.

Btw I paid the equivalent of US$1200 new, and they came after 7 weeks directly from Sony... serial 52xx.

On the subject of EQ; I find the ZX300 just attenuates certain freq ranges and has the same shape, like a graphic equalizer... but difference headphones vibrate with difference freq range shapes and also at different phases. So it's not really possible without complicated DSP to reproduce a nice big fat rounded bass that phases into another range.

I think there are 3^2 distinct audio signature crowds:
Bright.
Balanced.
Warm.
Then for each one of the above I think we have the soundstage or imagining or acoustic space:
Flat.
Floating.
(I don't think people actively like recessed or forward but they might so then 3^4)

For my ears the ZX300 is firmly in the balanced and flat.

My preferred signature is warm floating.
The Z1R's are Balanced/warm Floating.
The D5000's Warm Flat.
The Shure 535 Bright/balanced flat.

I'm most likely in the warm club as far as tone goes, but I will still buy midcentric or even slightly colder IEMs or headphones to try and bridge preferences. That said you received such a deal on the Z1Rs! Congratulations!

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #5,539 of 12,862
Yeah mine still says it's in China for 8 days now. I asked if I could change colour but they said it was already shipped so I assumed it was on the way. I looked at the JoyBuy/JD.com reviews (shoulda done that first) and a bit worried now lol.

Did order mine from Joybuy 26 feb. and just got it yesterday.

I did use bpost to track it, the tracking got much better when it arrived in EU.

So don’t worry yet

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #5,540 of 12,862
Did order mine from Joybuy 26 feb. and just got it yesterday.

I did use bpost to track it, the tracking got much better when it arrived in EU.

So don’t worry yet

Yeah mines probably got another week to go I guess.

Out of curiosity, did you happen to check your ZX300's playtime counter? I'm wondering if these may be refurbished units since they're so cheap, and partly because I saw this on their website...

Tips: If item is not as Described or is of Poor Quality, you can A: Return it and get full refund, or B: Get partial refund and keep the item.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #5,541 of 12,862
I always find it ironically funny that some audiophiles are very vocally against EQing but will spend thousands to buy different cables to tweak the sound.

I think they also watch their TV's with flat settings i:e color - 0, brightness - 0, contrast -0, sharpness - 0 etc:smile::smile:. I can't even think of a player which does not have EQ settings.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #5,542 of 12,862

Out of curiosity, did you happen to check your ZX300's playtime counter? I'm wondering if these may be refurbished units since they're so cheap, and partly because I saw this on their website...

Tips: If item is not as Described or is of Poor Quality, you can A: Return it and get full refund, or B: Get partial refund and keep the item.
Joybuy units are less expensive because of the 16g memory instead of the 64g that the other units have. I have the 300A from joybuy it had no hours on it and it arrived in New York in about two weeks time. I use Andromeda iems with ALO ref 8 balanced it really sounds nice. Was coming off the Opus 1 same set up and prefer the Sony. The Opus1 is also very good but a little warmer and less bass. I'm waiting on a balanced cable from Peterek for Sony Mdr ex1000 and MDR- 7550. Can't say enough how good this player is and a steal at the Joybuy price!

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #5,543 of 12,862
I think they also watch their TV's with flat settings i:e color - 0, brightness - 0, contrast -0, sharpness - 0 etc:smile::smile:. I can't even think of a player which does not have EQ settings.

The equivalent of that would be someone who watches TV with settings all on 0, but spends thousands on trying out different component and composite cables then swearing that it sharpens up the image and makes the colour more vibrant on their TV when playing DVD disks. :wink:

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #5,544 of 12,862
The 1A having 50mW more on the each channel for balance will give you more headroom for less sensitive phones, so say for example if your usage includes less sensitive phones - perhaps a full size headphone to use at home - then you may want to pick the 1A. On the other hand, if what you really value is something really light and pocketable that you can slip into the back pocket of a pair of jeans to go with sensitive IEMs that doesn't really demand the extra power, then you may want to go with the ZX300.

That makes complete sense, cheers for that - I reckon the ZX300 is probably more suited to my needs - will get saving

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #5,545 of 12,862

Just unbacked it.
Was sealed and did have 00.00.00 playtime. Going to play around with Sony MDR Z1R and Audiofly AF1120 today!

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #5,546 of 12,862
I always find it ironically funny that some audiophiles are very vocally against EQing but will spend thousands to buy different cables to tweak the sound.

Audiophiles are at times truly entertaining with their ideas. And so much is purely placebo or mental confirmations of things that maybe don’t exist. But that’s just the thing.......everything is perception. I used to think my car drove slightly better after an oil change.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #5,547 of 12,862
everything is perception. I used to think my car drove slightly better after an oil change.
  1. There are objective measurements. I have a microphone w/ calibration file which helps me determine fact from fiction, and a Colorimeter to help calibrate my TV... calibration makes a HUGE difference with some displays, usually cheaper LCD with LED back light.
  2. My bike changes gears better after an oil change and I can tell from the gear changes when it needs an oil change (3000km with mineral, 5000km with semi synth and 6500km with synth). Car motor seems to run subjectively better too.
  3. I can tell the difference between petrol types, but not speaker cables of adequate resistance.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #5,548 of 12,862
I used to think my car drove slightly better after an oil change.

That's easy to explain. Oils in the engine becomes contaminated (that's why they go black) with dirt particles which decreases their ability to lubricate and thus introduces friction between the parts, that's why you swap it for new oil.

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #5,550 of 12,862
Two more question hopefully someone can help me out with:

1) I have an old Xperia Z1 Compact I don't currently use that has USB OTG, can I play / stream songs on my Z1C connected to the ZX300 via usb and listen via the ZX300? I know the ZX300 has a USB DAC but wondered if it needed particular software on the host to run. - ignore this one, have done some digging and found out it's possible - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-308#post-14038534 - good news.

2) Why is the black version non-existent in the UK? Even searching Amazon.com the only seller of the black one is for a used one. I don't mind the look of the silver one but prefer the black - is this limited edition? The Sony website has a video with both silver + black on: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx300

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back