Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #4,606 of 12,862
You guys are making me want to take a brillo pad and scratch my black coating off :frowning2:

No really when I was young back in the 70's every sony walkman I had was silver, and later all my Sony discman were silver. Not till I got my sharp minidisc and old iaudio (cowon) rio, ipod, iriver, Sony mp3 etc etc did I start getting coulor choices. I'm still silvered out.

I still have an old aiwa? Cassette walkman buried away somewhere and guess what? Its silver!

On a side note I got my black lol ibasso IT01's yesterday and wow do they sound good! They sound better than the oriveti- new primacy which are 3 times as much. Bass is much faster and more defined as are the mids and highs. This is what I was expecting the 800 dollar hi fi man re800 to sound like. They are surprisingly (to me) comfortably also. And only a hundred beans! Partly 4 my Belgian friend get a reasonable priced mmcx balanced cable and the it01's and you are in the game. :wink:

Truly amazing they can get such speed and resolution from a single dynamic driver.
I'm a patient fellow :) . I trust Klipsch will come around :wink:

And yes, I'm silvered out too! What also plays a part is that I remember about ten years ago: many products had price premiums for the black colour option o) . And that kinda stuck with me, that I think of the black option as the premium one.

But ofcourse, even disregarding all that, when I hold my black ZX300 in natural light, I bet it's prettier than the silver version could ever be :p .There's just something about all the different hues of black this player takes when you look at it from different angles and different light environments. It's not even black; it's charcoal, it's dark grey, it's the night sky without a hint of moon!

It's beautiful :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4,607 of 12,862
Can I stream tidal from Sony Xperia xz1 to the zx300? If so how, through a cable or with ldac? Does MQA work this way? Also, can I eq this stream coming in?

Yes. You will need an Android OTG cable and the Walkman adapter. Can't recall if it works with included cable that comes with ZX300 and can't check now as that's at work.

How long a cable you want is your choice. Here is a short one on Amazon UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/CableCreat...18463215&sr=8-11&keywords=usb-c+otg+micro+usb

I use a short right angled silver one from Penon https://penonaudio.com/micro-usb-to-micro-usb-pure-silver-otg-cable.html but its micro USB not a USB-c version

The the Sony adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...516158&hash=item1ed77fc02e:g:c8wAAMXQO21RoFL8

If you also use the UAPP app you can stream Tidal over bit perfect including 24/96. For Tidal offline you would need the Tidal App itself but then get Android 24/192 upscaling but that still sounds good too.

Mobile Apps do not currently allow MQA streaming but UAPP does get you the first unfold with Master tracks showing as 24/88 or 24/96

This works with Z5 S7 S8 phones I have. I've not had a XZ1. Don't use EQ so not tried for streaming

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #4,610 of 12,862
3 days in and loving my ZX300. One concern though is the fact it's a specific Sony cable, I've been used to just grabbing one of the many standard micro USB cables knocking about the house, I have to make sure to keep this one safe in one place, plus buy a couple of spares!

A little confused on the volume. I'm finding I need to have it up around 80+ for reasonable volume, this is on standard 3.5 using Sennheiser IE8 - have to push it up over 100 to drive my HD650s, is this normal? Files all FLAC, some of which are hi-res.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4,611 of 12,862
The silver of my ZX100 was nice but I wanted a change and thought the black looked great because of the matte screen - it makes the album art really pop out from the darkness. I remember my black A15 getting scratches on the back, and i baby mine.
Does anyone use the MDR-Z7 balanced? Is the ZX300 adequate to get the best out of them?

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #4,613 of 12,862
3 days in and loving my ZX300. One concern though is the fact it's a specific Sony cable, I've been used to just grabbing one of the many standard micro USB cables knocking about the house, I have to make sure to keep this one safe in one place, plus buy a couple of spares!

A little confused on the volume. I'm finding I need to have it up around 80+ for reasonable volume, this is on standard 3.5 using Sennheiser IE8 - have to push it up over 100 to drive my HD650s, is this normal? Files all FLAC, some of which are hi-res.
I bought a tiny Sony WM port adapter that i use with standard usb cables which saves carrying extra cables.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,614 of 12,862
I bought a tiny Sony WM port adapter that i use with standard usb cables which saves carrying extra cables.

Are they easy enough to find? Just had a quick look on Amazon UK and can't see them. I need to order a case too so might need to do both via Japan?

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #4,615 of 12,862
By the way, the price on Amazon UK has dropped below £500 for anyone who might be interested. It was almost £600 only a few days ago.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #4,616 of 12,862
Anyone tried out MQA files on the Z300? I bought one from Onkyo Music to try, thinking it would show up on the playback screen like the gold HR badge, but nada. It's listed as MQA in the song list, rather than FLAC which is strange but fair enough.

I know it means nothing but I was kinda hoping for a gold MQA badge :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,617 of 12,862
Are they easy enough to find? Just had a quick look on Amazon UK and can't see them. I need to order a case too so might need to do both via Japan?
I can't remember where I got mine sorry. I'm sure it was official Sony, possibly eBay, but I'm positive you'd find on Japan- try Rakuten site maybe

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,618 of 12,862
Yes. You will need an Android OTG cable and the Walkman adapter. Can't recall if it works with included cable that comes with ZX300 and can't check now as that's at work.

How long a cable you want is your choice. Here is a short one on Amazon UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/CableCreat...18463215&sr=8-11&keywords=usb-c+otg+micro+usb

I use a short right angled silver one from Penon https://penonaudio.com/micro-usb-to-micro-usb-pure-silver-otg-cable.html but its micro USB not a USB-c version

The the Sony adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...516158&hash=item1ed77fc02e:g:c8wAAMXQO21RoFL8

If you also use the UAPP app you can stream Tidal over bit perfect including 24/96. For Tidal offline you would need the Tidal App itself but then get Android 24/192 upscaling but that still sounds good too.

Mobile Apps do not currently allow MQA streaming but UAPP does get you the first unfold with Master tracks showing as 24/88 or 24/96

This works with Z5 S7 S8 phones I have. I've not had a ZX1. Don't use EQ so not tried for streaming

Thanks for the information. I might look into it

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #4,619 of 12,862
(Warning : This post can exhibit some effects of hyping, exaggeration etc. - The writer of this post is not fully aware of himself, and I am - the writer of this warning message - his more logical alter ego)

I believe the time had come for a pretty new word in this thread :

MODDING ZX300

Many guys are talking how this new kid in town sounds pretty darn close to its fancy & heavyweight brother, and as ZX300 is now at the hands of several people in the forum, why not go for some modding that would increase the performance of ZX300 even further?

(First idea : changing the OFC regular internal cable of ZX300 with a better one)

Any ideas? Suggestions?

How about reaching more to the TOTL sound quality level on a $400 device?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #4,620 of 12,862
I don't know if this has been covered in this thread before (I searched 'wart' and got no results) but is everyone charging their zx300 via wmport->usbport? Like, usb on your PC or laptop? Anyone using a wall wart AC charger? Sony doesn't list one on their N. American page and the English manual AFAIK only says charging by USB, but the Sony Japan website does list several AC chargers as accessories on the zx300 page. AC-NWUM-60 is 5V/800mA, AC-U501AD is 5V/1A, and AC-UD20 is 5V/1.5A. Which leads me to believe any 5V AC adapter with an amperage of 1.5A or less and with a USB port could be used to charge the zx300. But I'm one of those 'dammit, let's go!' kind of people sometimes. Am I wrong? I've got an old original Zune charger that'll probably still be functioning when the sun goes supernova, and it's 5V/1.5A.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back