Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,567 of 12,862
Heyo what are your thoughts on the Cascade out of the ZX300?
They sound great. The ZX-300 has no issues driving them.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #5,569 of 12,862
Af that's interesting, new to the forum and never heard of Accessory Jack - how legit is it? Is it well known on here and trusted? Great prices, always wary of great prices!
Got mine from A.J too. Delivered in 7 days to India and good product. Silver. English language. No volume limiter. Thinking of getting the N3 from them now...

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #5,570 of 12,862
Joybuy units are less expensive because of the 16g memory instead of the 64g that the other units have. I have the 300A from joybuy it had no hours on it and it arrived in New York in about two weeks time. I use Andromeda iems with ALO ref 8 balanced it really sounds nice. Was coming off the Opus 1 same set up and prefer the Sony. The Opus1 is also very good but a little warmer and less bass. I'm waiting on a balanced cable from Peterek for Sony Mdr ex1000 and MDR- 7550. Can't say enough how good this player is and a steal at the Joybuy price!

Nice! Can't wait to see what the SE846 is like with the ZX300.

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #5,571 of 12,862
Af that's interesting, new to the forum and never heard of Accessory Jack - how legit is it? Is it well known on here and trusted? Great prices, always wary of great prices!

I've never used them, always found them too expensive for grey market products.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #5,572 of 12,862
Ya know, I have to come clean. As someone who usually skips signal processing as most that Ive come across does something negative to the signal, usually enhancing something only at the expense of something else, I have to give credit to Sony here with the various processors. While I had been using DIRECT and then just using it not in direct, but with no signal processing, I decided to play with the DSEE HX and the phase linearizer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but these are not gimmicky features, and actually are useful. This is not SRS-wow, or the like. I am actually impressed at the subtle yet tangible benefits they provide. This is obviously some sophisticated stuff going on with this processing. I cannot detect any negative effects to the sound when using them. There is a definite increase in spatial cues, and micro detail with the DSEE HX. Im glad I "gave in" and really took these processors for a spin. They really do seem to breathe in a special magic that just isn't quite there when running direct. Direct still sounds amazing, of course, because the zx is a fine player, period, but I do finally realize that the money spent for this walkman is not only for the hardware, but the software within. Don't sleep on the processors if you have been like me, and been strictly in the Direct mode. I do think that if your in a noisy area, your probably better off not using it and conserving battery life, but if your in a quite area, you will hear the difference.

This is definitely a slippery slope. Now Im really itching to upgrade my XBA-H3 to balanced Z5's. But as good as the z5 is presumed to be, the Z5 seems a little long in the tooth. When is its successor coming out already? maybe I'll just get the sony non kimber Pentacon cable and use it with my h3 and then ill have the balanced cable ready for my next set of sony iems...But with my luck sony will ditch the mmcx connector on the next flagship. What to do, lol.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #5,574 of 12,862
Hi guys.. (more for both 1A/ZX300 owners)
So I did a side by side demo, both direct source and gain off...
they both have similar characteristic for music, but I do notice a few diff... when I switch from the ZX300 to the 1A, I immediately note the wider staging, better separation, and the less fatigue feel, as in my ears starts to relax.. if that makes sense:wink:
However diving into the setting I found the 1A to have 200+ hrs in, while the ZX300 only 20+ hrs.
So my question is this; say does burning in the zx helps to smooth out the sound, and also does the staging/separation improve?

Thanx guys :wink:

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #5,575 of 12,862
Ya know, I have to come clean. As someone who usually skips signal processing as most that Ive come across does something negative to the signal, usually enhancing something only at the expense of something else, I have to give credit to Sony here with the various processors. While I had been using DIRECT and then just using it not in direct, but with no signal processing, I decided to play with the DSEE HX and the phase linearizer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but these are not gimmicky features, and actually are useful. This is not SRS-wow, or the like. I am actually impressed at the subtle yet tangible benefits they provide. This is obviously some sophisticated stuff going on with this processing. I cannot detect any negative effects to the sound when using them. There is a definite increase in spatial cues, and micro detail with the DSEE HX. Im glad I "gave in" and really took these processors for a spin. They really do seem to breathe in a special magic that just isn't quite there when running direct. Direct still sounds amazing, of course, because the zx is a fine player, period, but I do finally realize that the money spent for this walkman is not only for the hardware, but the software within. Don't sleep on the processors if you have been like me, and been strictly in the Direct mode. I do think that if your in a noisy area, your probably better off not using it and conserving battery life, but if your in a quite area, you will hear the difference.

This is definitely a slippery slope. Now Im really itching to upgrade my XBA-H3 to balanced Z5's. But as good as the z5 is presumed to be, the Z5 seems a little long in the tooth. When is its successor coming out already? maybe I'll just get the sony non kimber Pentacon cable and use it with my h3 and then ill have the balanced cable ready for my next set of sony iems...But with my luck sony will ditch the mmcx connector on the next flagship. What to do, lol.
I've been saying this for ages - why would you pay a decent amount of money for all that engineering experience and not use the features? Phase linearizer transforms bass into this gorgeous wave you can ride on, and DSEE HX only works on non-HR music anyway, so you might as well leave it on to help all your lower-quality tracks as it leaves your high res music alone.

Only thing I don't touch is the volume normalizer, but I wouldn't enable that on any device.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #5,576 of 12,862
Hi guys.. (more for both 1A/ZX300 owners)
So I did a side by side demo, both direct source and gain off...
they both have similar characteristic for music, but I do notice a few diff... when I switch from the ZX300 to the 1A, I immediately note the wider staging, better separation, and the less fatigue feel, as in my ears starts to relax.. if that makes sense:wink:
However diving into the setting I found the 1A to have 200+ hrs in, while the ZX300 only 20+ hrs.
So my question is this; say does burning in the zx helps to smooth out the sound, and also does the staging/separation improve?

Thanx guys :wink:
100% it makes a difference. On single-ended, I noticed a massive improvement after around 10-15 hours.

On balanced (due to it using way more capacitors, it takes longer) but after around 100 hours it really opens up, not yet at 200 but it continues to impress.

Remember that the ZX300 isn't so much of a 'cut-down' 1A as it is the engineers figuring out how to squeeze the 1A into a smaller, cheaper body. It's the newer model, and in that time production costs/material costs have come down. The 1A simply outputs more power, and that can't be accounted for so if power is a concern, go for the 1A. For sound quality, though...balanced especially, they are toe-to-toe.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #5,577 of 12,862
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #5,579 of 12,862
The sound does smooth out with burn in and the staging improves and everything gets more space and 'opens' up.

And no shame to using eq or the effects, eating bland food with no spices can get boring. :wink: Thankfully I find even the direct setting to be very dynamic and musical, but the eq and the phase linearizer are really well done. I've never used the dsee hx as I only have a couple of mp3s, almost all lossless. But Sony has always had better than average effects.

Also sometimes for personal preference some cans and iems need some eq- ing to sound their best. I should add that the ibasso it01 are really perky and energetic on both bass and treble so they definitely don't need anything added, mids are pretty much perfect imo.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #5,580 of 12,862
Sony ZX300 on balanced pushing the HE400i loud enough to rattle the wax in my ears. Also,check out this album.

20180315_195626.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back