Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 18, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #3,331 of 12,862
Do you haven any playable music on the sd card? Did you try to put mp3 or flac on the sd card?
I checked off "convert files that cannot be played on device to MP3" (or wording to this effect) in MediaGo. To my surprise, EVERYTHING went on the microSD card as MP3. So, I used Windows Explorer and then Windows Media Player to send some unconverted WMA content to the ZX300, but playing them gives the error message. FLAC and AAC are other options listed in MediaGo for conversion. I think Sony Music Center has the same options.

So, one way or the other, it looks like I will have to re-transfer everything, either converted to FLAC, or as WMA if I can solve the problem. Transfering WMA without conversion would be ideal -- no loss of existing quality and no slow transfer time for conversion. I'm still hoping Sony isn't lying about the ability to play WMA.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,332 of 12,862
I checked off "convert files that cannot be played on device to MP3" (or wording to this effect) in MediaGo. To my surprise, EVERYTHING went on the microSD card as MP3. So, I used Windows Explorer and then Windows Media Player to send some unconverted WMA content to the ZX300, but playing them gives the error message. FLAC and AAC are other options listed in MediaGo for conversion. I think Sony Music Center has the same options.

So, one way or the other, it looks like I will have to re-transfer everything, either converted to FLAC, or as WMA if I can solve the problem. Transfering WMA without conversion would be ideal -- no loss of existing quality and no slow transfer time for conversion. I'm still hoping Sony isn't lying about the ability to play WMA.
Can you upload one WMA file, I want to try it.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,336 of 12,862
Yes, I'm GMT -5 hours, Eastern US. My WMA files will not play on the internal card or the microSD. MediaGo decides the NW-ZX300 can't read WMA and converts to MP3 by default. Sony Music Center reaches the same decision and converts to AAC. FLAC isn't an option.

Resetting the device did nothing except waste time.

Looks like I have to post a WMA file to my website to give it a URL. It's been awhile since I have done this, and it's late here. Could I send you a private e-mail with a 3.7 MB WMA file attached? I can probably find something smaller if you prefer. Otherwise, I will look into posting but it may take me some time.

Thanks
Chris

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #3,337 of 12,862
Easier way, use file explore to drag and drop those WMA file to your ZX300.

If you must use MediaGo,
Select the WMA files you would like to transfer
Hold "Ctrl" while drag-and-drop the file to the "ZX300" at the left hand side
This should call out force transfer mode windows, and you can force MediaGo transfer the original file to ZX300

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,338 of 12,862

If you must use MediaGo,
Select the WMA files you would like to transfer
Hold "Ctrl" while drag-and-drop the file to the "ZX300" at the left hand side
This should call out force transfer mode windows, and you can force MediaGo transfer the original file to ZX300

I have tried Win Explorer, MediaGo, Sony Music Center, Windows Media Player . . . same result. I also tried putting the files on the NW-ZX300 internal card. No difference.

I will try holding "Cntrl" in MediaGo. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,339 of 12,862
Speaking of file formats, I use Windows and have all my music in WMA format at various bit rates up to high rate WMA Pro and WMA lossless. I get a "File format not supported" error when my new NW-ZX300 tries to play these files. I have transferred using MediaGo, Sony Music Center, WMP 11, and Windows Explorer -- doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Weird, mine plays all my wma files including high bit rate vbr files like 345 kbps and up. What region machine do you have? I have asia Pacific region, not that it matters but some regions have extra stuff included.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,340 of 12,862
Weird, mine plays all my wma files including high bit rate vbr files like 345 kbps and up. What region machine do you have? I have asia Pacific region, not that it matters but some regions have extra stuff included.
Hi abitdeef, that's encouraging! I have one of the first units to reach the US market. Stock hit on-line shelves here on December 5, 2017, Sony Support told me today to try updating the USB driver using the Sony USB driver download. I will post any developments here.

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,341 of 12,862
A conflicted man is among you...

The Sony remote can be bought for as low (haha) as a little more than 50USD minus shipping.
For that price I can buy an extra Sony mp3-player to go jogging. Really.

The dilemma is thus: Would I rather be the guy who has to dig his ZX300 out of his pocket at whatever circumstance?

OR: Would I rather be the comfy fool?

Decisions, decisions, decisions :upside_down:

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,342 of 12,862
Hi abitdeef, that's encouraging! I have one of the first units to reach the US market. Stock hit on-line shelves here on December 5, 2017, Sony Support told me today to try updating the USB driver using the Sony USB driver download. I will post any developments here.

Well just a thought, you wouldn't think Sony would limit file support by region, but UK peeps have limits on output so who knows? You can change yours to region E (tourist) if that's the case. Or then again maybe your WMA have weird file extensions? Highly unlikely though. Good luck, just letting you know the machine CAN play high vbr WMA files.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #3,343 of 12,862
A conflicted man is among you...

The Sony remote can be bought for as low (haha) as a little more than 50USD minus shipping.
For that price I can buy an extra Sony mp3-player to go jogging. Really.

The dilemma is thus: Would I rather be the guy who has to dig his ZX300 out of his pocket at whatever circumstance?

OR: Would I rather be the comfy fool?

Decisions, decisions, decisions :upside_down:

It looks ugly, for 50 quid it should look sweet and futuristic for a remote. :) Then again if it's the only thing that works and if you really want a remote then I guess It's your only choice. I myself don't mind taking something out of my pocket, not that big of a deal to me.

Of course I use sansa clip for active use, working out, yard work, etc. It is so tiny and clips to your shirt so you don't need remote :) I guess I am echoing the under 50 dollar thing. I got my clip + on black Friday for 25 bucks years ago.

Get a cheap small dap for jogging and what not, that's my advise, or damn even your cellphone should be lighter than zx300. I'm thinking zx300 is good for home and commute, but not so much for active use.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3,344 of 12,862

or in MediaGo . . .Hold "Ctrl" while drag-and-drop the file to the "ZX300" at the left hand side

No joy. Explorer drag -- still won't play. MediaGo CNTRL DRAG: Even though I selected DO NOT CONVERT FILE I now get both WMA and MP4 (AAC) versions of each song, and the WMAs don't play. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #3,345 of 12,862
No joy. Explorer drag -- still won't play. MediaGo CNTRL DRAG: Even though I selected DO NOT CONVERT FILE I now get both WMA and MP4 (AAC) versions of each song, and the WMAs don't play. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Well changing your region would be less work than converting all of your files. Look back in the thread or maybe somebody can help you. Or the rockbox page. It's the only reason I can think my unit would play them and yours doesn't. Unless they are unique wma files. They're not copyright encoded right? Like Itunes silliness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back