Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #3,346 of 12,862
No joy. Explorer drag -- still won't play. MediaGo CNTRL DRAG: Even though I selected DO NOT CONVERT FILE I now get both WMA and MP4 (AAC) versions of each song, and the WMAs don't play. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Sorry to hear that

Maybe you can try convert those WMA to FLAC? Better than MP3 and AAC
Right click on the song and there should be a tool to convert to FLAC

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,347 of 12,862
Well just a thought, you wouldn't think Sony would limit file support by region, but UK peeps have limits on output so who knows? You can change yours to region E (tourist) if that's the case. Or then again maybe your WMA have weird file extensions? Highly unlikely though. Good luck, just letting you know the machine CAN play high vbr WMA files.
I changed to one of the Asian languages (top one, Japanese?) but no Tourist option appeared. In any case, I still can't play WMA. I even tried deleting, transfering WMA into the device using Win Explorer while in Japanese. No go. I will try deleting all the metadata in one WMA. If this fails, I'm taking this thing back for exchange with another. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,350 of 12,862
I was just going to say how my music listening experience has changed with the zx300. The ease of use and the battery life and of course the organic and analogue balanced sound are some of the things i am really enjoying. Though it may not be very forgiving towards bad recordings i really like the Sony balanced sound. I am sold. Now some some 4.4mm after market cables. I wouldn't like to take the adaptor out and about.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3,351 of 12,862
Converting all WMAs to FLAC will be my last resort. I could have a defective unit (missing software codec?), so I think I will exchange first. Thanks!
Do you have the latest FW. I can too play wma files on the zx300.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,352 of 12,862
I changed to one of the Asian languages (top one, Japanese?) but no Tourist option appeared. In any case, I still can't play WMA. I even tried deleting, transfering WMA into the device using Win Explorer while in Japanese. No go. I will try deleting all the metadata in one WMA. If this fails, I'm taking this thing back for exchange with another. Thanks!

No not language but region, you have to download files from rockbox and change regions not language. It changes the whole operating system. For like someone who has bought a Japanese unit, they change change to region E and get all languages.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #3,355 of 12,862
Yes, I have the latest firmware, 1.10. Rockbox to change regions: wouldn't that invalidate the warranty? If so, I would wait until exchanging and/ or repairing through Sony. Thanks for the help here everyone, much appreciated. Could easily be a US region quirk, but let's see if Sony will honor their claimed features.

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3,357 of 12,862
I am interested in buying ZX300 along with MDR 1ABP ( balanced cable). I would like to know whether equalizer and other sound settings like vpt surround work or no when doing a balanced connection.
They do work. It is over BT that they don't work. And honestly, if you buy this the only way forward is the balanced port.

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3,358 of 12,862
I am interested in buying ZX300 along with MDR 1ABP ( balanced cable). I would like to know whether equalizer and other sound settings like vpt surround work or no when doing a balanced connection.

It does, DSP settings are available in all wired connections.

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #3,360 of 12,862
Converting all WMAs to FLAC will be my last resort. I could have a defective unit (missing software codec?), so I think I will exchange first. Thanks!

I tested you file. It does not work on my player too. I opened the detailed song informations. Look at the codec. It says ''unknown''
I assume there are issue in the conversion.
2giavmdx.jpg

So I converted it again. Look at the codec. It works, plays the music. Maybe you need to reconvert them.
h2dhuocg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back