Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,316 of 12,862
You are kidding, right? All Android devices running Android 8.0 have LDAC support built-in, so do most (if not all) Sony branded Android phones as well as every recent DAP from the walkman series since the NW-ZX2 including all of the NW-A series starting with the A10. The WH-1000XM2 (which by the way also supports APT-X HD as an alternative to LDAC) also has support for an app that tweaks its built-in EQ so you don't actually need any EQ at the source. Not that I use it, as far as I am concerned, the music is altered enough during the mastering process, I don't need to butcher it more by messing with EQ settings.

As I said, if you plan on strictly listening to headphones over bluetooth using high end DAPs as a source, think again, there is no point in doing that when any source using a specific codec (LDAC, APT-X, SBC...) will sound the exact same as another source using that same codec because bluetooth does NOT use the source's own DAC but instead relies on the DAC present within the headphones. There is therefore no reason whatsoever to spend €700 on a DAP if you're only using it to listen over bluetooth, it's not going to sound any better than listening using a €200 LDAC compatible phone as the source, realistically speaking, you are throwing money down the drain.

Of course if you plan on listening to an audio source using wired headphones over an analog connection, then buying a high end DAP is something you can (and would need to) consider.

That said, if you truly care about this, feel free to contact Sony support to report the issue.
I do NOT use a smart phone while listening music! I hate smart phones! I use the first gen. of 1000XM and NO there is no app available at my NW-ZX100. :wink:
I spent 700 Euro for a good player and NO I don't use balanced output on the street (cause it's nonsense) and YES I use BT headphones on the street cause it's the easiest and best way to prevent sound / noises / cable problems!

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,317 of 12,862
Sorry. This is nonsense! No one needs a balanced output or other "hir-es gimmicks" while listening music on the street.
The other "funny thing" is the 200 hour joke.... sorry. I'm not at home while using a MOBILE player!
I had a MDR-1A, but I hate cable while using a mobile player!
I don't use smart phone (have no one!) or a tablet for listening music on the street! BT isn't a bonus - neither LDAC nor AptX-HD BT - Sony implemented this as new standard and the latest FW offers the Apt-Codec.

The ZX300 is a mobile player with a lot of gimmicks (and nonsense). I want to use things like balance, 10 EQ and a long battery time! These gimmicks are relevant not a "balanced output" or other +things while using the player on the street! I'm a mobile player user! At home, I use a NAS, Squeezebox and RX3060! I bought my 1000XM to use it with a SONY mobile player with LDAC! Now, the headphones are useless!
Two years later and Sony has forgotten to support LDAC in a better way! This is not funny and I really pissed!

1. I did not say you have to listen using the balanced output "on the street", although you could, you just need a pair of headphones that's isolated enough or compatible with the balanced output and sport active noise cancellation (like, for instance, the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless with the right balanced 4.4mm cable)
2. I did say there is no difference whatsoever in sound when using a (much cheaper and affordable) LDAC compatible smartphone as opposed to using a high end walkman series device (which there is no point to purchase if you are only using wirelessly)
3. The app is available on iOS and Android, it also does not work with the MDR-1000X (but obviously that pair of headphones isn't worth €400 anymore, which is what you claimed it does on your original post)
4. Because you can't use the EQ over bluetooth doesn't make your headphones useless, I use my own WH-1000XM2 over bluetooth with the NW-ZX300 while commuting and they sound and work just fine.
5. The 200hrs burn-in requirement is not a "joke" or a placebo, it exists because of the capacitors present on your device (I would indulge you on a basic lesson about electronics and sound engineering, but err... I have better things to do of my time)
6. If you want the EQ over LDAC and a great battery life, why not stick with the NW-ZX100 which you appear to already possess?
7. Feel free to address complaints to directly to Sony's support about this issue.
8. Because the NW-ZX300 is portable does not mean you can't use it to have listening sessions at home with high end or even open back headphones (which I'd never use on the go for obvious reasons!) or that you can't bring your device to someone else's place or your office, to me the advantage of using the walkman series is to have the equivalent of a high end DAC+AMP combo in a portable footprint which I can carry around wherever I need, the ability to listen to music on the go is certainly nice but it comes second, not to mention without an active noise cancellation or properly isolated IEMs listening to music on a commute is going to be greatly impair your experience.
9. Again, yes you really can listen to music on the go using the balanced output given that you use the proper headphones (for example the MDR-1A is not suited to be used on a commute because it has very poor noise isolation).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #3,318 of 12,862
Sorry. This is nonsense! No one needs a balanced output or other "hir-es gimmicks" while listening music on the street.
The other "funny thing" is the 200 hour joke.... sorry. I'm not at home while using a MOBILE player!
I had a MDR-1A, but I hate cable while using a mobile player!
I don't use smart phone (have no one!) or a tablet for listening music on the street! BT isn't a bonus - neither LDAC nor AptX-HD BT - Sony implemented this as new standard and the latest FW offers the Apt-Codec.

The ZX300 is a mobile player with a lot of gimmicks (and nonsense). I want to use things like balance, 10 EQ and a long battery time! These gimmicks are relevant not a "balanced output" or other +things while using the player on the street! I'm a mobile player user! At home, I use a NAS, Squeezebox and RX3060! I bought my 1000XM to use it with a SONY mobile player with LDAC! Now, the headphones are useless!
Two years later and Sony has forgotten to support LDAC in a better way! This is not funny and I really pissed!

Why on earth are you really pissed? You sent it back right? Relax and get on with your life. life's too short to get miffed over something so trivial. And for the record, I use my ZX300 mainly at home with wired headphones. And I think the balanced is one of the main selling points of the ZX300 for a lot of people, so hardly a 'gimmick'.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,319 of 12,862
These formats make up half of my collection

Speaking of file formats, I use Windows and have all my music in WMA format at various bit rates up to high rate WMA Pro and WMA lossless. I get a "File format not supported" error when my new NW-ZX300 tries to play these files. I have transferred using MediaGo, Sony Music Center, WMP 11, and Windows Explorer -- doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,320 of 12,862
Speaking of file formats, I use Windows and have all my music in WMA format at various bit rates up to high rate WMA Pro and WMA lossless. I get a "File format not supported" error when my new NW-ZX300 tries to play these files. I have transferred using MediaGo, Sony Music Center, WMP 11, and Windows Explorer -- doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Pray for the ressurection of The One True DAP, almighty Zune? j/k :grimacing:

Have you tried the same files on other devices? According to the Sony specs it only supports "32, 44.1, 48 kHz, WMA ( .WMA): 32–192 kbps (supports variable bitrate (VBR))"

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3,321 of 12,862
Thanks Raketen, but my files are almost all WMA 192 kbps. Some are VBR, some not. These files don't work on my Sony Xperia Z2 either, but that's OK, I just convert them to MP3 for that device. The reasons I purchased the NW-ZX300 are that Sony explicitly says it supports WMA, plus SQ and capacity of course. Maybe the NW-ZX300 is not seen as an MTP device??

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #3,322 of 12,862
Thanks Raketen, but my files are almost all WMA 192 kbps. Some are VBR, some not. These files don't work on my Sony Xperia Z2 either, but that's OK, I just convert them to MP3 for that device. The reasons I purchased the NW-ZX300 are that Sony explicitly says it supports WMA, plus SQ and capacity of course. Maybe the NW-ZX300 is not seen as an MTP device??

If the files are loading onto the device music folder & scanning into the music database I doubt that is an issue.

They don't work in any app on your phone? Do they play in the other apps like MediaGo on your PC? If that's the case, seems like there might be some windows file system encryption (are the file names green in windows explorer?) or DRM thing going on.

If that is not going on, only other thing I can think of is to try stripping all metadata and album artwork from one of your in-spec files, also rename with a simple, short alphanumeric filename. This will at least confirm that the problem is with the file itself (my A-series WM is picky with mp3 tagging & album art for instance, though still plays file)

Sorry if this is obvious & you know it already, hopefully someone w/ zx300 can advise.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #3,323 of 12,862
can anyone please explain how to create playlists? Do you have to create one with your pc software first, then you can add tracks from the ZX300?

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3,324 of 12,862
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #3,325 of 12,862
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #3,326 of 12,862
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #3,327 of 12,862
I do NOT use a smart phone while listening music! I hate smart phones! I use the first gen. of 1000XM and NO there is no app available at my NW-ZX100. :wink:
I spent 700 Euro for a good player and NO I don't use balanced output on the street (cause it's nonsense) and YES I use BT headphones on the street cause it's the easiest and best way to prevent sound / noises / cable problems!
I kind of get where you're coming from; the ZX300 is clearly not meant for you. You'd be better off having a smartphone that's engineered for better audio (like the LG V30) and couple it with an amp when you go wired.

ZX300 is just not your device :wink: . It is a niche device after all: most people these days stream and don't keep music saved. This device does just the opposite.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,329 of 12,862
If the files are loading onto the device music folder & scanning into the music database I doubt that is an issue. . .
Hi Rakuten. MediaGo and Sony Music Center play the WMA files with no problem. Sony says to reset the device (really?), and their NW-ZX300 on-line Guide says I should format the microSD card in the player before use. So, these are two things to try. I don't suppose taking 62 GB of music off the card and putting it back on will be quick though!

It could be a DRM issue (Windows 10 Anniversary Update allegedly changed the DRM), but the WMA files are all ripped from CDs and vinyl and do not have copy protection as such, to the best of my knowledge.

I will try messing with the Metadata as well. I will post any developments. Thanks!

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,330 of 12,862
Hi Rakuten. MediaGo and Sony Music Center play the WMA files with no problem. Sony says to reset the device (really?), and their NW-ZX300 on-line Guide says I should format the microSD card in the player before use. So, these are two things to try. I don't suppose taking 62 GB of music off the card and putting it back on will be quick though!

It could be a DRM issue (Windows 10 Anniversary Update allegedly changed the DRM), but the WMA files are all ripped from CDs and vinyl and do not have copy protection as such, to the best of my knowledge.

I will try messing with the Metadata as well. I will post any developments. Thanks!
Do you haven any playable music on the sd card? Did you try to put mp3 or flac on the sd card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back