Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,975 of 12,862
After inquiring about the (very substantial) latency issue to the Sony's UK costumer support, this is their reply (after weeks of e-mail exchanges):

Thank you for your patience.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that the team investigating your case advised that this is a technology limitation. The USB-DAC function requires processing time which cannot be compensated by the source. This feature is designed for Hi-Res audio listening.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry

Yours sincerely,

So, apparently, according to Sony's engineers (or at least its costumer support), a latency that's over 1000ms is a "feature". Is anyone satisfied with such a an answer? There are plenty of USB DAC out there without such a blatant latency issue. I would have understood a 20ms latency, heck even 50ms, over 1000ms? That's inexcusable and is definitely not a "feature" no matter the claims.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,976 of 12,862
After inquiring about the (very substantial) latency issue to the Sony's UK costumer support, this is their reply (after weeks of e-mail exchanges):

So, apparently, according to Sony's engineers (or at least its costumer support), a latency that's over 1000ms is a "feature". Is anyone satisfied with such a an answer? There are plenty of USB DAC out there without such a blatant latency issue. I would have understood a 20ms latency, heck even 50ms, over 1000ms? That's inexcusable and is definitely not a "feature" no matter the claims.
They won't say it so directly, but no doubt the transfer method (Walkman proprietary cable) has a lot to do with it. That is basically unchanged technology since...15 years or so?

The USB connection is not even 3.0, it is still USB 2.0 like my 8 year-old other walkman.

Sad to say, but this device's DAC-function is only suitable for music listening. (I thought I would use it a lot, but I don't so I don't really care about this deficiency)

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,977 of 12,862
Perhaps they're working on a faster walkman-cable and charge heavily for it :)

edit: In my opinion, this shows the DAC-feature was an afterthought. As they surely would have accounted for the transfer method, if it weren't?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2,978 of 12,862

What is this latency ? The S-Master processing of Digital input procress and output process ?

Nov 22, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,979 of 12,862
Perhaps they're working on a faster walkman-cable and charge heavily for it :)

edit: In my opinion, this shows the DAC-feature was an afterthought. As they surely would have accounted for the transfer method, if it weren't?

I don’t think. USB DAC is an afterthought. It is more like Sony is trying to do both “ energy efficiency and audio quality. Though I have idea why the latency would be such a huge lag ? May be this is just the way Sony IC is working ? They don’t use Xmos in Walkman but their proprietary one

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,981 of 12,862
Just listening to some TSO to get in the mood for the holidays on the olde zx300 and it sounds splendid. Any other TSO fans here? I think they're one of the best things to happen to Xmas music since the nutcracker.

Live they are really something!

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,985 of 12,862
In my foolish enthusiasm i got the cable before the DAP :D

IMG_20171123_092518.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back