Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 18, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #12,541 of 12,862
What would people here recommend? Used Sony zx300, new zx300 (slightly inflated price imo), new zx507 or even wm1a (on backorder)
Better buy used ZX300, Its already 2022 and if you don't want spend too much for a new old device. I bought a new one like the end of 2019, because I think it was worth at that time and I prefer a brand new one, so everything is first time for me.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #12,542 of 12,862
Hi everyone

I would like some assistance in regards to dap choice please. I currently use AK SP1000m for portable use and home listening too. Since getting a FiiO M17 I no longer need a player at home. I would like a player with long battery life to use on the go and with mid fi iems. I have plenty of albums so streaming is good to have as an option, however, is not a priority.

What would people here recommend? Used Sony zx300, new zx300 (slightly inflated price imo), new zx507 or even wm1a (on backorder)

Any advice is appreciated.
Between the Sony ZX300 or ZX507, I prefer the ZX507 as being a newer, and with better SQ. The one negative is the lower battery life with Android, but that can be worked around easily. I changed to switching it off when not using it, versus leaving it on all the time, like I did for the non-android Sony DAPs. This, and carrying a small, high output battery, which is easily available nowadays, resolves the battery problem. Pairing with a BT earphone is also convenient.

For a smaller size, the NWA105 is very nice. This is android, and again, I find that switching it off when not using it, and carrying a small battery pack, resolves the battery issue.
The non-android NW-A55 is the same size. It has 3.5mm phone out only. You can use this wired, or wireless, with a BT earphone.
These 2 DAPs, when paired with a BT earphone, are a nice small combination that you can carry in the pants pocket. Very conveneient.

So for Sony DAPs (android, better SQ):
- Medium size: ZX507
- Smaller size: A105

The above are my preferences.

If non-android is a must requirement, then the ZX300, or the smaller A55

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #12,543 of 12,862
Also, if you really really fancied a bit of streaming, you can still do that with the zx300 in Bluetooth receiver mode linked with your phone. But you'd sacrifice battery life that way, and then you're back to being better off with the zx507 for direct streaming without the pfaff.

I had the A105, and I much prefer the A55 with its "BT Receiver" function instead.

If you are on the go, you can't put a SIM card in the A105 to have internet, so you'd have to make a Wi-Fi hotspot from your smartphone for that. I prefer just using my smartphone directly instead, with a much smoother working UI, and stream audio via LDAC to the A55, for example.

Also, I think that when it comes to a streaming A105 vs. an A55 which receives audio from a smartphone, the A55's battery will last longer.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #12,544 of 12,862
Thanks for the advice. I happened to notice a very slightly used wm1a at an excellent price so got that instead. Hoping that it will last a little long given its popularity and the possibility to modify firmware. Really wanted a non android dap for the battery life. Not keen on carrying a portable charger around at this stage but the time is near when it cannot be avoided

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #12,545 of 12,862
Thanks for the advice. I happened to notice a very slightly used wm1a at an excellent price so got that instead. Hoping that it will last a little long given its popularity and the possibility to modify firmware. Really wanted a non android dap for the battery life. Not keen on carrying a portable charger around at this stage but the time is near when it cannot be avoided
Just remember to try @MrWalkman 's firmware... That's where the magic sauce is!

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #12,546 of 12,862
Between the Sony ZX300 or ZX507, I prefer the ZX507 as being a newer, and with better SQ. The one negative is the lower battery life with Android, but that can be worked around easily. I changed to switching it off when not using it, versus leaving it on all the time, like I did for the non-android Sony DAPs. This, and carrying a small, high output battery, which is easily available nowadays, resolves the battery problem. Pairing with a BT earphone is also convenient.

For a smaller size, the NWA105 is very nice. This is android, and again, I find that switching it off when not using it, and carrying a small battery pack, resolves the battery issue.
The non-android NW-A55 is the same size. It has 3.5mm phone out only. You can use this wired, or wireless, with a BT earphone.
These 2 DAPs, when paired with a BT earphone, are a nice small combination that you can carry in the pants pocket. Very conveneient.

So for Sony DAPs (android, better SQ):
- Medium size: ZX507
- Smaller size: A105

The above are my preferences.

If non-android is a must requirement, then the ZX300, or the smaller A55
I've been wondering if the zx300 can compete with the 507 in sq with mrwalkman fw on the zx300. Any chance you compared em?

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #12,547 of 12,862
I've been wondering if the zx300 can compete with the 507 in sq with mrwalkman fw on the zx300. Any chance you compared em?
The zx300, with Mrwalkman FW, is much improved, and enjoyable. The ZX507 SQ is better, more dynamic. Though I have modded the internal wires on mine, I believe that, from memory, even without the modded wires, the ZX507 is better. Another complication is that my ZX300 is also modded. So best not to use me for a reference.
Edit: If I was not clear above, modded FW does not make the ZX300 equivalent or better than the ZX507. That is my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #12,548 of 12,862
The zx300, with Mrwalkman FW, is much improved, and enjoyable. The ZX507 SQ is better, more dynamic. Though I have modded the internal wires on mine, I believe that, from memory, even without the modded wires, the ZX507 is better. Another complication is that my ZX300 is also modded. So best not to use me for a reference.
Edit: If I was not clear above, modded FW does not make the ZX300 equivalent or better than the ZX507. That is my opinion.

You may have already mentioned it, is it the Walkman One firmware?

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #12,551 of 12,862
Just remember to try @MrWalkman 's firmware... That's where the magic sauce is!-

Hadn’t been using my ZX300 much, these last 6 months, after buying the DMP-Z1, which sadly has gone in for repair. So I downloaded the Walkman One firmware & now my ZX300 is now a NW-WM1Z. ( So to speak ! ) thanks to the very clever @MrWalkman

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #12,552 of 12,862
Hadn’t been using my ZX300 much, these last 6 months, after buying the DMP-Z1, which sadly has gone in for repair. So I downloaded the Walkman One firmware & now my ZX300 is now a NW-WM1Z. ( So to speak ! ) thanks to the very clever @MrWalkman
I haven an ZX300 here and after MrWalkman constantly annoyed me about that, i installed Walkman One Firmware (i wanted to sell it but nobody is offering an acceptable price so why not just play around with it and it seems that it is easy to revert).

It is nowhere close to the WM1Z (Stock). Absolutely not in no single aspect. They share the same sound Signature but thats pretty much it.

The first thing that is the most obvious change is that the ZX300 sounds much more muffled and much more narrow.

If you don't need/use 4,4mm, even the ZX2 is an upgrade to the ZX300 and sounds better in almost all aspects. And i mean the 3,5mm from the ZX2 sounds better than the 4,4mm from the ZX300. The 3,5mm of the ZX300 is even worse.

Don't get me wrong, the ZX300 is an excellent DAP and worth its money, It sounds great for what it is, but it is nowhere close to the WM1Z and there is a reason why an used ZX2 is still more expensive than an ZX300.

This is the ZX300 board with its 4 FTCAP and tiny POSCAP+filmcapacitors and tiny LCs.

1643650095936.png

This is the WM1 board with its 13 FTCAP, OS-CON and large LCs. How an earth are they supposed to sound the same?

1643650152214.png

For comparison, this here is the amp part of the 3,5mm only ZX2 where you can see the smaller than WM1 but still larger than ZX300 LCs and the 7 OS-CON. The ZX2 3,5mm only output is more complex than the ZX300 4,4mm+3,5mm combined!

1643650193621.png

It is cool that you like the Firmware and that you like the ZX300, but please keep in mind that there are a lot of gullible people are here in this board who believe pretty much everything, including that software can replace hardware. They can not judge if you're telling the truth or if you're making jokes and they will think, that the ZX300 with Walkman One Firmware will sound like an WM1Z and spread the word. They will showcase their ZX300 to people with actual experience and knowledge and they will think "Holy crap, the WM1Z sounds that bad? (for its price)" not knowing, that they are fooled and the WM1Z sounds far from an ZX300 with firmware.

You can not replace Hardware with Software. It is impossible, it will always be impossible. That is not how physics work. Please stop giving wrong information to people who are seeking advice.

If you think this Firmware improves the sound of your ZX300, that is fine, tell the people that to your personal opinion, the ZX300 with custom firmware sounds better. But please don't tell people that it sounds like the WM1Z, thats just not true. The WM1Z, WM1A and even the ZX2 (if 3,5mm only) are still a noticeable upgrade form the ZX300. The ZX2 does have a slightly different sound signature though, i just threw it in as an example on how stripped down the ZX300 is.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #12,553 of 12,862
I haven an ZX300 here and after MrWalkman constantly annoyed me about that, i installed Walkman One Firmware (i wanted to sell it but nobody is offering an acceptable price so why not just play around with it and it seems that it is easy to revert).

You can not replace Hardware with Software. It is impossible, it will always be impossible. That is not how physics work. Please stop giving wrong information to people who are seeking advice.

If you think this Firmware improves the sound of your ZX300, that is fine, tell the people that to your personal opinion, the ZX300 with custom firmware sounds better. But please don't tell people that it sounds like the WM1Z, thats just not true. The WM1Z, WM1A and even the ZX2 (if 3,5mm only) are still a noticeable upgrade form the ZX300. The ZX2 does have a slightly different sound signature though, i just threw it in as an example on how stripped down the ZX300 is.

I’m not following my own advice, by ignoring & not responding to a narcissist, but do not put words in my mouth or accuse me of giving wrong information. I’ve not even given any information, whatsoever. You conveniently missed out ( So to speak ! )

I’m sorry that you feel annoyed with @MrWalkman but unlike you, he offers far more to this forum, then you ever will.

( I own a ZX2, which I purchased in 2015, but I don’t feel I have to give you an opinion about it, or feel the need to. )

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #12,554 of 12,862

It is nowhere close to the WM1Z (Stock). Absolutely not in no single aspect. They share the same sound Signature but thats pretty much it.

The first thing that is the most obvious change is that the ZX300 sounds much more muffled and much more narrow.

If you don't need/use 4,4mm, even the ZX2 is an upgrade to the ZX300 and sounds better in almost all aspects. And i mean the 3,5mm from the ZX2 sounds better than the 4,4mm from the ZX300. The 3,5mm of the ZX300 is even worse.

Don't get me wrong, the ZX300 is an excellent DAP and worth its money, It sounds great for what it is, but it is nowhere close to the WM1Z and there is a reason why an used ZX2 is still more expensive than an ZX300.

This is the ZX300 board with its 4 FTCAP and tiny POSCAP+filmcapacitors and tiny LCs.

1643650095936.png

This is the WM1 board with its 13 FTCAP, OS-CON and large LCs. How an earth are they supposed to sound the same?

1643650152214.png

For comparison, this here is the amp part of the 3,5mm only ZX2 where you can see the smaller than WM1 but still larger than ZX300 LCs and the 7 OS-CON. The ZX2 3,5mm only output is more complex than the ZX300 4,4mm+3,5mm combined!

1643650193621.png

It is cool that you like the Firmware and that you like the ZX300, but please keep in mind that there are a lot of gullible people are here in this board who believe pretty much everything, including that software can replace hardware. They can not judge if you're telling the truth or if you're making jokes and they will think, that the ZX300 with Walkman One Firmware will sound like an WM1Z and spread the word. They will showcase their ZX300 to people with actual experience and knowledge and they will think "Holy crap, the WM1Z sounds that bad? (for its price)" not knowing, that they are fooled and the WM1Z sounds far from an ZX300 with firmware.

In any case, I'm acknowledging the hardware limitations of the ZX300 and of the other smaller players, and of course they can never sound like a WM1Z.

Even a stock WM1A cannot sound exactly like a WM1Z.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #12,555 of 12,862
Hey all, I had my ZX300 in my pocket. I thought the screen was switched off (although not locked) and it wasn't playing music.
But when I got inside, I saw this message on the screen. It's been like this for over an hour now:
IMG_0103.jpg

No idea what process is going on, or what process would take 1 hour+ to complete?
I'm running @MrWalkman Midnight Plus FW I think (the second-most recent one); not that I think this has anything to do with the issue, I'm just mentioning for completeness.

Should I just power it off? Or keep waiting? Worried about bricking the device or something if I just force a power off (assuming that's even possible).

I've tried going back and tapping other parts of the screen, but nothing changes.

All advice welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back