Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #12,571 of 12,862
I just finished installing the new firmware, but not only did all my settings (including playback hours) completely reset, the playback hours in particular seem to reset back to nothing every time I restart the player. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong?

https://www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html#walkman_one

When installing the firmware, the settings are backed up internally, and then you'll see 0 hours and all. When (if) you'll decide to go back to the stock firmware, the backed up settings will be restored, so the player will be as it was before installing the firmware.

This is because transferring over the settings to be used with the WM1A/Z-based Walkman One firmware may result in errors popping up and other buggy things. It is possible that it will work fine, but I don't own a ZX300 and I can't test that.

Feb 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #12,572 of 12,862
I just finished installing the new firmware, but not only did all my settings (including playback hours) completely reset, the playback hours in particular seem to reset back to nothing every time I restart the player. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong?
thats what also happen on mine, but reverting back to stock seems to revert all the setting and playback hours.

but that seems to be normal on the custom firmware.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #12,573 of 12,862
i got an average of 19hrs.. I play with an IEM most of the time, got same play time with standard and balanced(i use one at a time till battery dies).
stock firmware, volume around 60-80.
normal gain, in direct mode, flac range from bassy billie eilish, to pitchy classical(piano/guitar.. no vocals)
Thanks, this is roughly the same for me. I was wondering if my battery was on the way out but the hours I'm seeing on mine seems very similar to yours

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #12,575 of 12,862
Guys, I need your help. After installing the walkman one I feel the sound has become lifeless. I was using the previous firmware from mrwalkman I was completely happy but this one is weird. Am I doing anything wrong ?

Just make sure you applied the corresponding external tuning after you've set your preferred sound signature in the settings file and you restarted the player.

The previous firmware (Midnight) is the "Warm" sound signature, as mentioned on the ZX300 Walkman One page, and it can't really sound different.

You can also find more info about changing the sound signature here: https://www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #12,577 of 12,862
Just make sure you applied the corresponding external tuning after you've set your preferred sound signature in the settings file and you restarted the player.

The previous firmware (Midnight) is the "Warm" sound signature, as mentioned on the ZX300 Walkman One page, and it can't really sound different.

You can also find more info about changing the sound signature here: https://www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html
Hi Mr Walkman, I think I read somewhere that you have a WM1A. I was wondering how big the differences are between the ZX300 and WM1A? Or do you think it might be worth it to wait until the WM1AM2 comes down in price and then get that a few years down the line.

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #12,578 of 12,862
Hi Mr Walkman, I think I read somewhere that you have a WM1A. I was wondering how big the differences are between the ZX300 and WM1A? Or do you think it might be worth it to wait until the WM1AM2 comes down in price and then get that a few years down the line.

I never had a ZX300, so I can't make a comparison.

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #12,580 of 12,862
Ah fair enough, thanks anyway!
I owned an ZX300 and the difference is big. It's an significant upgrade.

The ZX507 is also an upgrade but an very small one with minor differences in the details.

So the current WM1A is a significant upgrade to both and if you get one used, the price is unbeat (600-700€ for like new devices without any signs of wear)

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #12,581 of 12,862
I owned an ZX300 and the difference is big. It's an significant upgrade.

The ZX507 is also an upgrade but an very small one with minor differences in the details.

So the current WM1A is a significant upgrade to both and if you get one used, the price is unbeat (600-700€ for like new devices without any signs of wear)
Ok that's brilliant to hear. The only place I can find one used is on Amazon Japan. There's one on eBay (from Japan) but it's about £800. The one on Amazon Japan is £500. Where else can I buy this player? I don't need a Japanese one. I'll just buy from wherever is cheapest.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #12,582 of 12,862
Have seen that nayparm offers a ZX300 mod with large capacitors... did anybody have an chance to listen to one and can say how it compares to a WM1Z/A?
I really liked the form factor of the zx300 but thought it couldn't match the sound quality of the bigger brothers

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #12,583 of 12,862
Have seen that nayparm offers a ZX300 mod with large capacitors... did anybody have an chance to listen to one and can say how it compares to a WM1Z/A?
I really liked the form factor of the zx300 but thought it couldn't match the sound quality of the bigger brothers
I had a WM1A and a ZX300 with the Walkman mod. The WM1A was smoother and soundstage bigger. Other than that there wasn't any other differences. I decided to send the WM1A back.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #12,584 of 12,862
Ok that's brilliant to hear. The only place I can find one used is on Amazon Japan. There's one on eBay (from Japan) but it's about £800. The one on Amazon Japan is £500. Where else can I buy this player? I don't need a Japanese one. I'll just buy from wherever is cheapest.
Check Mercari Japan.

Here's one for $450 https://jp.mercari.com/item/m44343040861

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #12,585 of 12,862
Hello, I have a question to owners of the SONY cradle BCR-NWH10. Does the cradle make analog line out from NW-ZX300 to a home stereo possible that has analog inputs only?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back