Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 31, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #12,511 of 12,862
Did you get the chance to try out the WM1A/Z- based Walkman One firmware?
hi, just want to say that your Walkman One firmwares are absolutely amazing. I am using the Sony a55 now. Going to upgrade to the ZX300 soon.

Again, thank you so much for what you are doing. I adore your work and I can't thank you enough.

Will donate more once I get the zx300 and flash your MrW firmware

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #12,512 of 12,862
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #12,514 of 12,862
I wish I could my friend, mine is still stock, I came across the interesting upgrades at the NPAudio forum.
I'll go look it up then. thanks bro!

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #12,515 of 12,862
you really should give it a try.
just flash the mrwalkmans one on my zx300, there is the additional volume bar on top and bit rate at top. I find differences on Warm, with bright and WM1Z, though bright and wm1z is quite similar not the same though. I haven't tried the neutral. but finding the warm a little bit drowning, in a good way.. i like it.

I'll keep it to WM1Z for now.

also i find the audio played counter is reset to zero when I flash the firmware. though I revert it back to stock and it goes back to previous counter. though i am thinking if I use the firmware for long time and racks up the time, it would revert to previous stock counter if i revert it back to stock.

Edit: I reverted back to stock. Not sure why, but i found missing detail on one of the sound setting when I listen to one of my music.. i'll try it again some other day as I forgot the song that I was playing.. just realize it when i revert it back to stock and relisten to some of the music i usually listen.. not sure if its even missing as I already forgot the actual song. hahaha

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #12,517 of 12,862
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #12,518 of 12,862
am I able to use zx300 in DAC mode via USB (Spotify on my PC) and listen through BT wf-1000xm4? It's not working.

it says "Unavailable during BT audio output". Just making sure. I would have thought this was doable..

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #12,519 of 12,862
am I able to use zx300 in DAC mode via USB (Spotify on my PC) and listen through BT wf-1000xm4? It's not working.

it says "Unavailable during BT audio output". Just making sure. I would have thought this was doable..
i think dac will only work via wired headphone.
or you could connect zx300 to bluetooth source, then you still listen to wired headphone.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #12,520 of 12,862

I don’t think ZX300 supports that but I may be wrong

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #12,521 of 12,862

Doubt it's doable, although I've never tried. A DAP surely can't be in two different output modes simultaneously?, In this case, DAC and BT.

I've paired my zx300 with my phone before now in BT receiver mode to test listen to Deezer streamed from my phone. That works fine if using wired on the zx300, but if I also try to pair my TWS at the same time to listen, it can't be done all the while the zx300 is in BT receiver mode. That makes sense.

A different example to yours, but I think the principle remains the same, about not being able to use two different output modes at the same time.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #12,523 of 12,862
That stinks. these days I much prefer wireless earphones than any headphone..convenience/comfort at the cost of SQ
But it's just physics isn't it? I can't see how any DAP, zx300 or otherwise, can be capable of outputting two different modes simultaneously. It's just not possible in my mind, although I could be wrong as I'm no expert in DAP'S. Perhaps someone will come along and correct me?

I just think of it in terms of a conventional hifi set up. Unless you're using a 2 channel or more mixer, you can only output one source at a time to your speakers from your amp. I can't listen to, say CD and Vinyl, at the same time. Not unless I connect the amp to the mixer.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #12,524 of 12,862
That stinks. these days I much prefer wireless earphones than any headphone..convenience/comfort at the cost of SQ
if you'll be using bluetooth passthrough, i think it will be much better to connect the wireless headphone directly to the source (via bluetooth).. since you wont be getting any benefits by passing the sound via dac if it will be transmitted to bluetooth anyway.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #12,525 of 12,862
if you'll be using bluetooth passthrough, i think it will be much better to connect the wireless headphone directly to the source (via bluetooth).. since you wont be getting any benefits by passing the sound via dac if it will be transmitted to bluetooth anyway.

This. Direct to the source would be best. The DAP's encoder (DAC) won't work if connected through BT. The chip of the BT headphone/earphone will be the encoder in this case AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back