Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 11, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #12,318 of 12,862
Just listened to Steven Wilson's The Future Bites album with @MrWalkman 's Project Z Plus firmware and must say I am impressed by the sound; I will definitely stick to it... :thumbsup: :k701smile:

As said many times, Project Z Plus, truly life changing, musically & The Future Bites is an already amazing sounding album, made even better by the firmware upgrade.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #12,319 of 12,862
Haven't been active on here for quite some time but I've recently heard about MrWalkman's firmware and it sounds really promising, so here I am. Two questions though; will installing it reset the settings and other data (e.g. playback hours) that's already on the device? Which of the two firmware (DMP-300 FEv2 and Project Z) do people generally prefer more?

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #12,320 of 12,862
I prefer DMP-300 as I think it comes off a bit more neutral sounding and is a better match for the inherent tonality of the ZX300. Similar to the way the WM1A sounded better to me with Midnight, when I had it; as the WM1A is a really neutral/bright sounding DAP stock and Midnight is pretty warm but detailed.

You'll have to try both to be sure which is better for you though.

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #12,321 of 12,862
Haven't been active on here for quite some time but I've recently heard about MrWalkman's firmware and it sounds really promising, so here I am. Two questions though; will installing it reset the settings and other data (e.g. playback hours) that's already on the device? Which of the two firmware (DMP-300 FEv2 and Project Z) do people generally prefer more?

I prefer DMP-300 as I think it comes off a bit more neutral sounding and is a better match for the inherent tonality of the ZX300. Similar to the way the WM1A sounded better to me with Midnight, when I had it; as the WM1A is a really neutral/bright sounding DAP stock and Midnight is pretty warm but detailed.

I agree with @equalspeace . ZX300 seems to be a bit warm with stock firmware so Project Z might give even more warmth. Depends on your IEM, it might be too much. Personal taste of course, be sure to try both :)

I use FE with mine on IER-Z1R since I prefer the more balance sound.

P/s: @equalspeace why did you get rid of your WM1A, may I ask?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #12,322 of 12,862

I agree with @equalspeace . ZX300 seems to be a bit warm with stock firmware so Project Z might give even more warmth. Depends on your IEM, it might be too much. Personal taste of course, be sure to try both :)

Appreciate the responses you two; I plan to try both out but I suppose I'll start with the DMP-300. What about my first question though? Will all settings and other data remain even after the firmware installation?

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #12,324 of 12,862

It had dead pixels on the screen. Twice this happened. Crazy bad luck. I relented and went w the ZX300 after returning both. I really liked the WM1A, but I’m quite happy w the ZX300

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #12,325 of 12,862
It had dead pixels on the screen. Twice this happened. Crazy bad luck. I relented and went w the ZX300 after returning both. I really liked the WM1A, but I’m quite happy w the ZX300
any significant improvement? especially when using mr.walkman's fw on both. I'm eyeing one from a local sale.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #12,326 of 12,862
any significant improvement? especially when using mr.walkman's fw on both. I'm eyeing one from a local sale.
I think w Mr. Walkman’s fws as they’re currently situated w a newer one for the WM1A and an older one for ZX300, the WM1A edges it out in multiple areas. We’ll have to see how the ZX300 sounds w new fws tho. Waiting patiently for the next magic from Mr Walkman 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #12,327 of 12,862
I just installed the new firmware; I can't say for sure since it's obviously not an A/B test but I do believe the sound's been improved on, though to be fair this is just my initial impression so I'll probably listen to them back and forth and see how I feel

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #12,328 of 12,862

No reset of playback hours. That only happens if you perform a factory reset within the Sony’s settings.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #12,329 of 12,862
I think w Mr. Walkman’s fws as they’re currently situated w a current one for the WM1A and an older one for ZX300, the WM1A edges it out in multiple areas. We’ll have to see how the ZX300 sounds w current fws tho. Waiting patiently for the new magic from Mr Walkman 🙂

@MrWalkman sent me a “ZX300 Test”. It sounds brilliant. Can’t stop listening to it.

( Just to add, @MrWalkman sent this “test” two months ago & I’ve listened to nothing else since, so that’s an indication of how I feel about it & how good it is. )

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #12,330 of 12,862
@MrWalkman sent me a “ZX300 Test”. It sounds brilliant. Can’t stop listening to it.

So, it's still in the testing phase as the name says. But how is it any different from the previous one? I've been regularly checking this thread and the dedicated custom FW thread of MrWalkman and I haven't picked up any news about him. I hope he's doing well and adjusting properly to his recent change of location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back