Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #10,246 of 12,862
There are times that cheap (quality) wins, but not for SD cards - ask yourself if you want to gamble (waste time and money) with your precious music.
If you love music enough to buy a ZX300, do yourself a favour and get yourself a reliable brand.
I can personally recommend Sandisk and Samsung from multiple purchases over the years.

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #10,247 of 12,862
I can personally recommend Sandisk and Samsung from multiple purchases over the years.

Just beware the counterfeit ones, specially Samsung. I have had two.high capacity Samsung purchased from Amazon (not 3rd party seller) turn out to be fake. Fortunately these were easily returned. I've always, so far, had good luck with Sandisk and Lexar.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #10,248 of 12,862
Just beware the counterfeit ones, specially Samsung. I have had two.high capacity Samsung purchased from Amazon (not 3rd party seller) turn out to be fake. Fortunately these were easily returned. I've always, so far, had good luck with Sandisk and Lexar.

Just in case, what do we need to look out for and how can we notice a fake?...

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #10,249 of 12,862

Technically there's really no way of knowing until you have one in hand. There are software utilities that can check the legitimacy of the card. Ensure there's a good return policy in place for online purchases.

To minimize the chances of a fake is avoid 3rd party resellers such as those on Amazon, avoid eBay, or simply buy from a brick & mortar local store.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #10,251 of 12,862
I had the 400GB Sandisc card on my Amazon wishlist, after I stated looking into cards, the other day. Someone else mentioned they had that card. Anyway today I was ready to buy a couple of things on Amazon. I checked and saw that the Sandisc card had dropped in price, from £08 to £67. … Didn't need to think about it, and just bought one.

Heads up for anyone else in the UK looking.

SanDisk Extreme 400 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, Up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

£67.19.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #10,252 of 12,862

Fake SD cards have a much lower capacity but report it as a higher capacity. How that works is, once it starts approaching the actual limits of the SD card, it begins to write from the start again, overwriting existing data (imagine a tape recorder starting from the beginning again).

One way to tell if it's broken or not is if the last copied songs play fine, but the earlier copied songs are either garbled, error'd or missing.

A definitive way to check is to use H2testw, which can actually write the entire SD card and see if what was written matches actually what was sent.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #10,253 of 12,862
Nice info on fake memory cards. I plan on buying Sony only from a camera store or something to make sure I don't get a fake. Unfortuntely that means I can only get up to 128GB I think but I don't like carrying around too much music anyway, I like to focus on one artist and a few albums at a time.

Please, if you can, help me with my ZX300 decent looking remote control solution in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-inline-remote-mods-for-usb-to-dap.911291/#post-15093112

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #10,254 of 12,862
Nice info on fake memory cards. I plan on buying Sony only from a camera store or something to make sure I don't get a fake. Unfortuntely that means I can only get up to 128GB I think but I don't like carrying around too much music anyway, I like to focus on one artist and a few albums at a time.

Please, if you can, help me with my ZX300 decent looking remote control solution in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-inline-remote-mods-for-usb-to-dap.911291/#post-15093112

You don't need to get Sony, you just need to get one that's legitimate. If it's a camera store, chances are everything in there is legitimate.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #10,255 of 12,862
I'm having a read headache with album art. I spent several hours trying to get them to work. Most of my cover art shows but still some of it doesn't. Even if I redownload and add new art. I read something about baseline and progressive JPEGs here, but as I'm on a mac I haven't found a good solution.
Anyone else with a Mac who figured out what's the best way to do this?

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #10,256 of 12,862
I'm having a read headache with album art. I spent several hours trying to get them to work. Most of my cover art shows but still some of it doesn't. Even if I redownload and add new art. I read something about baseline and progressive JPEGs here, but as I'm on a mac I haven't found a good solution.

That's correct. I use Tagscanner on Windows to re-compress the embedded album art on my Music to get them working. I read something for Apple, maybe this could help?

Meta – music tag editor

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #10,257 of 12,862
You don't need to get Sony, you just need to get one that's legitimate. If it's a camera store, chances are everything in there is legitimate.

No, trust me I NEED to get Sony. Brand loyalty or something. It's about the experience of having stuff that goes properly together for me.

I might even shell for one of those "For Premium Sound" SR-64HXA microSDs but hard to know if you're buying a fake since they're all through resellers now..

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #10,259 of 12,862
Is it possible for the ZX300 to have songs with multiple genre tags? If so, does anyone know how to do this?

Jul 31, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #10,260 of 12,862

Another option to "fix" your album artwork is to download Sony Music Center for PC, load up all of your music onto it, go into the all songs tab, select all, and have it search for missing track info. Depending upon how much music you have, this will take hours to complete, but once it does, most, if not all of your files will have working album art. The program downloads and embeds album art for you that is compatible with the Sony DAP. Like I said, it takes hours but after doing it with my library, it correctly found and attached album art for at least 95% of my files. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back