Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #8,236 of 12,862
I did the opposite and upgraded from the ZX300 to WM1A for my portable unit. I found that the WM1A was closer in sound to my WM1Z I use at home and it's not that much larger than the ZX300.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #8,238 of 12,862
There is a very good modder in HK, ROMI Audio. You'll find him on Facebook. I have a WM1Z mod and the ZX300 mod from him. His mod for the ZX300 changes the internal wires from the MB to the earphone female plugs. (solid rectangular silver, or your choice ) Also replaced output capacitors for higher instantaneous output power, and applied copper foil shielding to components. Not cheap, but the result is worth it, for me, when I think of how much money is spent on IEM cables, while this mod improves the source, which is good for all downstream components. Even a cheaper cable/IEM benefits from it.

I do love and adore the “modifications” of devices to make it sound better. However, there are a couple things that also make me thinking it isn’t worth it, and the following is from the point of view of a DIY modder

1/ components are expensive

2/ experiences, supplied tools and all related things are not easy to come by. Most importantly, the better the modder taste, preferences, and understanding different components, music aspects, plays a huge role

3/ most of the time, performing an invasive modifications would cost even more than the player itself. But not many people understand why or think it is worth it. Only the few understand that in order to make something to perform better, modifications are needed, and while cables can cost thousands, the modifications is much more complicated and cost ways less....

After all, majority of people only compare the “mods VS the player pricing” and so IMO, I would only modify things for myself.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #8,239 of 12,862
I do love and adore the “modifications” of devices to make it sound better. However, there are a couple things that also make me thinking it isn’t worth it, and the following is from the point of view of a DIY modder

1/ components are expensive

2/ experiences, supplied tools and all related things are not easy to come by. Most importantly, the better the modder taste, preferences, and understanding different components, music aspects, plays a huge role

3/ most of the time, performing an invasive modifications would cost even more than the player itself. But not many people understand why or think it is worth it. Only the few understand that in order to make something to perform better, modifications are needed, and while cables can cost thousands, the modifications is much more complicated and cost ways less....

After all, majority of people only compare the “mods VS the player pricing” and so IMO, I would only modify things for myself.

All good points, and true. Getting somebody else to do it is scary. You are putting all your trust with the person doing the mod. Are his priorities and strategy, attention to detail and quality what you hope for? Will he cut corners with a so so wire changeout, use good(and expensive) solder, be a top notch solderer? You can't be watching over his shoulder the whole time, so there is a lot of trust involved.
Doing it yourself is equally scary. And you are never sure how it will turn out until after it is finished.

So logically speaking, it is not worth doing. The cost is significant, compared to the purchase price.

But then I am sure you got a lot of satisfaction from your completed mods, seeing how much of a change they made.
And I am getting satisfaction when I get a good result, as I think the money was well spent, and relatively cheap, for something that is performing beyond stock, and better than more expensive machines. Of course this is all subjective, so you have to have some way to judge whether the end result is good or not. My criteria is simple. Can it make me forget about the equipment, and get lost in the music? Does music that you normally skip over, all of a sudden mesmerize you? Does a simple piano, or guitar, have a richness of rhythm and tone that you had never noticed before, and you can listen to it with enjoyment? Not analyze it, or want to. Just enjoy it.

And I think that if you have somebody you can trust, then it is worth doing, for some people. It also has to be expensive, as a good job is not going to come cheap.
All you want is that somebody gives you value for money, and not charge a high price for a cheap job.

Yes, a very contentious subject.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #8,240 of 12,862
thanks you made my day :)
I've downgraded from WM1A to ZX300 for portability reason and I am very happy with it. I don't think about changing my DAP for the moment.
It does everything I'm expecting from a modern DAP. I only dream about a 3.0 USB port instead of their own connection, that's it!

I hope I made sense. I meant I had never heard the A&K 70 Mk 2. I was not meaning to say I never heard a difference in detail between the DAPs.

I recall going by What HiFi, and how they thought the ZX300 had more detail than the A&K 70. While giving the A&K 70 Mk 2 more punch. Whereas some users put the A&K 70 Mk2 ahead all round.

This is the exact hat HiFi wording.
"Though it is not entirely flat, it’s a timidity that leaves Astell & Kern’s Award-winning AK70 MKII a whole star ahead for the same money.

But, putting the pair head-to-head, though A&K emerges victorious overall – that dynamic expression compounded by tighter rhythmic sensibility and its offer of streaming via Tidalthe Sony likely pips it for outright detail and clarity, not to mention a greater array of file options."

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/nw-zx300/review

Although I can see where the ZX300 might need a fraction more punch. (I can hear that when I use my Mojo, which has cleaner punch.) However I am still only using the SE port on the ZX300. All folk say the dynamics pick up with the balanced port.

Secondly though, even though I am saying it again, and will say it again because I can't stop myself. The (my) AKG N40 really suit the ZX300. Those are IEMs not to be underestimated. (Can not wait to go balanced with them.)

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #8,241 of 12,862
So I have a question about gain. Let's say on normal gain on my ZX300 I can power my headphones to my personal listening volume with the volume set to 115. On high gain I can achieve the same volume at 95. Is there an reason to use high gain? I mean the battery output is the same, correct? Isn't it always best to use the lowest possible gain you can get away with? For noise reason? I dunno maybe I'm wrong but I've just always kinda thought it was best to use the lowest possible gain you could get away with.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #8,242 of 12,862
So I have a question about gain. Let's say on normal gain on my ZX300 I can power my headphones to my personal listening volume with the volume set to 115. On high gain I can achieve the same volume at 95. Is there an reason to use high gain? I mean the battery output is the same, correct? Isn't it always best to use the lowest possible gain you can get away with? For noise reason? I dunno maybe I'm wrong but I've just always kinda thought it was best to use the lowest possible gain you could get away with.
The WM1x thread has a lot of info/experiences, and peoples trial and error observations. While the general belief is that low gain "should" be better, there are observations that high gain is better for some people. This may relate to different types of music, where one person may prefer high gain due to what the extra power provides, while another may prefer low gain because it is better for their type of music. So there is not simple rule. Also, some people have found that turning on effects (direct off), but not actually enabling any equalization, etc., sounds better than direct. And quite a few are trying settings (DSEE on, strings, DC Phase Linearizer on : Type A low, Vinyl Processor on/arm resonance) that improve the SQ. So there are quite a few choices the user has. Good, as those wanting to, can try them out. And those that are happy with low gain/Direct have a simple way of overriding everything. All the settings on will reduce battery life, of course.

Bottom line, there is no simple answer. Only way is to try, and see what you like. And different types of music, or different mastering, may benefit from different settings, so there is no one size fits all. As you can always set it to Direct, that allows you to compare quickly, and use the default Sony sound with no modifications at any time, if you choose.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #8,243 of 12,862
The WM1x thread has a lot of info/experiences, and peoples trial and error observations. While the general belief is that low gain "should" be better, there are observations that high gain is better for some people. This may relate to different types of music, where one person may prefer high gain due to what the extra power provides, while another may prefer low gain because it is better for their type of music. So there is not simple rule. Also, some people have found that turning on effects (direct off), but not actually enabling any equalization, etc., sounds better than direct. And quite a few are trying settings (DSEE on, strings, DC Phase Linearizer on : Type A low, Vinyl Processor on/arm resonance) that improve the SQ. So there are quite a few choices the user has. Good, as those wanting to, can try them out. And those that are happy with low gain/Direct have a simple way of overriding everything. All the settings on will reduce battery life, of course.

Bottom line, there is no simple answer. Only way is to try, and see what you like. And different types of music, or different mastering, may benefit from different settings, so there is no one size fits all. As you can always set it to Direct, that allows you to compare quickly, and use the default Sony sound with no modifications at any time, if you choose.
Damn see I thought I was going crazy! It does sound different with direct turned on or off even though no sound alterations are enabled. I can't say whether one is better than the other but I definitely notice a difference. It kinda bothers me actually because logically there should be no difference but there certainly is one.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #8,244 of 12,862
What would the battery usage be volume matching high and low gain?

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #8,245 of 12,862
What would the battery usage be volume matching high and low gain?
No idea. It has enough so that it will last longer than anything else on the market, and lasts multiple days of normal use, so whether it is a little less, or more is not a concern. Other DAPs, like the Calyx M, which lasted 4+ hours on a full charge, now that is a situation where you worry about remaining battery!

Also, different settings, especially equalizers turned on, higher bit rates, etc., all affect the battery usage, so you are never going to get an exact number. Use it and keep track, and you will know, "for your usage patterns and settings" what the real life numbers are.

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #8,247 of 12,862
Before I read that people experience grain on high output I heard zero grain. That’s how suggestive this hobby is.

1) The grain was always there but I didn’t look for it.
2) The grain is not really noticeable on high gain, but suggested, and becomes real.

Some headphones; mostly full-size are going to get a sound improvement from the high gain setting. Some hard to drive IEMs scale up on high gain, but it may depend on the personal desired volume needed?

Low gain is always attempted, even at 100% volume, it’s better. IMO

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #8,248 of 12,862
Damn see I thought I was going crazy! It does sound different with direct turned on or off even though no sound alterations are enabled. I can't say whether one is better than the other but I definitely notice a difference. It kinda bothers me actually because logically there should be no difference but there certainly is one.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." —Sherlock Holmes
When something does not make sense, it is usually because we do not have all the data, or lack the knowledge to explain/understand. Assumptions are like good intentions. Neither is infallible.

Sometimes I think we should have an Audio God which we make offerings to, for good sound, long battery life. And save us from BSODs. Actually, that's not a bad idea, as it could be very comforting, and would provide explanations for all those illogical truths.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #8,249 of 12,862
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." —Sherlock Holmes
When something does not make sense, it is usually because we do not have all the data, or lack the knowledge to explain/understand. Assumptions are like good intentions. Neither is infallible.

Sometimes I think we should have an Audio God which we make offerings to, for good sound, long battery life. And save us from BSODs. Actually, that's not a bad idea, as it could be very comforting, and would provide explanations for all those illogical truths.
*put a crown on made of daps, dacs, speaker and headphone drivers, planar driver membrains and audio cables and tubes* i shall be the god of audio you all require. Lol

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #8,250 of 12,862
do you guys know what the main difference between the sony zx300s digital amp vs the A&K SR15s normal amp?
i can't figure it out :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back